Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No one talks about Thunder Force. Why?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default No one talks about Thunder Force. Why?

I'm constantly shocked at how little is said and known about the Thunder Force series. I talk to people offline and you can say R-Type, Life Force, or Gradius and they're like "Yeah I've played that." then you say Thunder Force and all you get is "What the heck is that?"

Searching the web is about as equally dead end too. There's a few websites out there with a few facts on the games, but there's really no major fan base. I've even tried finding a ROM for the original Thunder Force (it was on the MSX) and I can't.

I'm curious, is it that no one really has ever heard of these games, or is it just that everyone hates these games.
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

No one talks about Thunder Force. Why?
    Well, yesterday was pretty hectic. I just bought a new truck so I had to run back and forth between the credit union and the car dealership. Then I had a server go down and I was working hard on that, and then I had a workstation infected with a virus that I had to work on for a while.

So I guess Thunder Force just never came up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too many games, too little time. Add to that the fact that Tecnosoft, or Technosoft if you like, is gone, along with Compile and all the other great shmup companies. ThunderForce is sadly fading into true obscurity. Hell, I like ThunderForce III better than any of the R-Type games and all the Gradius games until Gradius V. ThunderForce III - V were all incredible.

It also has to do with a strange, unfounded negative attitude against traditional shoot 'em ups industry wide. Yes, there was a glut in the early 90's. So what? Hopefully someday the current glut of FPS games will be seen the same way as a little revenge. On a side note, I cringe every time I hear what the industry has to say about Next Gen. I'm sorry, gameplay does not materialize through "better" graphics.

It is unfortunate that the only shmups we seem to get are Psikyo crap (not a fan). I guess we are just not allowed to have the glorious Cave shmups because we're American. I hate Sony sometimes.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've played a thunderforce game for PSX. Its pretty good. But there are alot of games in this genre that are damn great, but are either forgotten or unknown to the average joe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Yeah, it's a series that doesn't get its due. I loved Thunderforce 5 on the Saturn, and you can get parts 2-4 plus a special remix on the Saturn.

From the net...

In 1996, Technosoft released the "Thunder Force Gold Packs" for the Sega Saturn exclusively in Japan, which contained re-releases of previous Thunder Force games. Two packs were released: Thunder Force Gold Pack 1 which included Thunder Force II and Thunder Force III, and Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 which included Thunder Force IV and Thunder Force AC. Each Gold Pack disc has exclusive CG animated introduction sequences and a few extra easter eggs, but the actual games remained mostly unchanged (although the slowdown present in the Megadrive/Genesis version of Thunder Force IV is removed in its Gold Pack version).
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I think it's because you really have to search out Thunder Force in the States where as Gradius and R-Type are much easier to come across.

Doesn't help that we haven't had all the Thunder Force games released here and what we have has a re-title or two in the mix.

So Thunder Force...highly underrated. 3-5 are awesome and, yeah, I'd say better than recent Gradius and R-Type instalments. Good stuff. I'm not a huge horizontal shmup fan, but I always dig Tecnosoft's series. (Compile too. )

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To tell you the truth, I haven't even heard of this series before. What systems were these games released on, besides the MSX and Saturn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thunderforce I and II weren't very good, imo. Also, the first game wasn't on MSX, which is why you can't find a ROM for it anywhere.

I did enjoy 3 - 5 a good bit, though. One of these days I'll have to track down the Saturn version of V just so i can record some videos showing off the differences.

Also, Thunderforce 3 on SNES was the first shmup I can remember single credit clearing (not exactally a difficult game to do so...but hey...this was back when I still couldn't 1CC/1LC Legendary Wings, heh)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by syd
    To tell you the truth, I haven't even heard of this series before. What systems were these games released on, besides the MSX and Saturn?
    They were the defining shmup series on the Genesis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played Thunderforce II in an emulator a couple of months ago (yes I had the cart since back in the day) to do one thing: Complete the sonofabitch. I forget how I did it but I think I turned on a cheat for invincibility and finally did what I couldn't ever do and that was see the ending. I think some credits just came up.. but oh was it satisfying

Now Thunderforce III on the other hand, I've always liked it a little better because it didn't have the overhead scenes and also.. it was beatable!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    I played Thunderforce II in an emulator a couple of months ago (yes I had the cart since back in the day) to do one thing: Complete the sonofabitch. I forget how I did it but I think I turned on a cheat for invincibility and finally did what I couldn't ever do and that was see the ending. I think some credits just came up.. but oh was it satisfying

Now Thunderforce III on the other hand, I've always liked it a little better because it didn't have the overhead scenes and also.. it was beatable!
    It took me forever to beat TF2 back in the day... that damn part where it starts scrolling super-fast always ate up my reserves of extra guys. But once you get past that boss, the last level is pretty easy.

I thought the "ending" sucked as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Ummm in Japan they were bigger

In Japan they were bigger, they even made two Sega Saturn Games with the series on it. Working Designs I transilated Thunder Force V, so the series DID GET SOME RECOGNITION. Other than the shmups website, you aren't going to see alot of recognition for the series. The sad truth is that the Thunder Force series will go on being just another shooter series.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx
    Thunderforce I and II weren't very good, imo.
    Bah, whatever; Thunderforce II is a classic and deserves praise for the cool top-down perspective (that makes the game a favorite of mine, actually).

Check out the x68000 port of TF2, by the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Ummm in Japan they were bigger

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    The sad truth is that the Thunder Force series will go on being just another shooter series.
    I kinda doubt there's ever going to be another...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Psikyo crap? The last two games we got from Psikyo were Gunbird 2 for the DC and Strikers 1945 II for the PS1 back at the turn of the century. I know about Mobile Light Force, but who wants to play a butchered Gunbird? And besides, Psikyo folded back in 2002, almost 4 years ago.

Anyway, back on topic. I've never played TF V, but III & IV are among the top of my horizontal shmup list. TF II was below average thanks to the overhead levels, and I heard the origional was over head levels only, so it's safe to conclude that it was probably even worse. it would be cool if some company got the rights to these classics and published a Thunder Force collection, including the first two.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

syd said:
    Well 2-4 were on the Genesis, 4 was actually called Lightening Force here in the US, and the intro is slightly different than it's JP counterpart, otherwise same game. 5 was on the Saturn and PS. As for the first one roushimsx just stated that it's not on the MSX, which brings me back to square one of not knowing and asking what system it's on.

roushimsx said:
    Thunderforce I and II weren't very good, imo. Also, the first game wasn't on MSX, which is why you can't find a ROM for it anywhere.
    I wished I could find the image I saw on google images that mislead me to believe it was on the MSX, but oh well easy come, easy go w/the net. Since it's not on the MSX do you know what system the first one is on?

Also on a side note, has anyone heard anything about a new Thunder Force game coming out called "Thunder Force Forever". I seem to remember reading something about that last month.
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wasen't Zero Gunner 2 a Psikyo shooter? That was good and Gunbird 2 was allright.

Anyway's, Thunder Force was always over shadow'd by other shooters here in the states, and not promoted much. I got TF V for the Playstation, what a horrible port, now if I was able to get the Saturn port back in the day It might have thought differn't.

Speaking of shooters, what the Hell is Treasure and GRev up to? These's new 3D/2D shooters are awesome!(Ikaruga, Gradius V and Border Down)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

First, the TF games are my favorite shoting series, with Gradius second.

TF1 came out for the X1 computer. However, I too have heard rumors and may even have an image file of an MSX version. Either way, I know I've heard many times, misconcepotion or not that the first game came out for MSX. Maybe it came out there too, and the rom or image is very rare, but whatever...it defeinitely came out for the X1 first.

Thunderforce I and II weren't very good, imo.
    1, maybe. 2, sacrilege. TF2 was quite ahead of its time and nothing quite that great was out for home systems, being an early Genesis title (hell, it played like a 2nd or 3rd generation Genesis title). Some don't like 2 because it's 10 times harder than 3, but it is an incredible game. Try the infinite lives cheat to see the whole game if you don't like it...you'll see it rocks. The alternating side scrolling and overhead scenes was awesome in its day. One of the defining Genesis games, for sure.

Part three is one of my top 5 favorite Genesis games. It's a bit easy, but a true 16-bit masterpiece. It completely blew my mind in the day to see graphics like this at home, let alone on the Genesis...I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. I used to be so good at it, I could beat it with one hand using a regular SNES controller (on the SNES version of TFIII-Thunder Spirits). One of the top 3 Genesis soundtracks, no doubt. I have a copy of the extremely rare soundtrack...man does it kick ass! Who was that musician?!

I've got to be honest..I've never played 4 and 5 and I would really like to...just never had a copy of it. They cmae out for PS and Saturn, but only in Japan, right? Which games came out for which here? What would I need to play them?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ulticron
    Since it's not on the MSX do you know what system the first one is on?
    According to Wikipedia's Thunder Force entry:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Force

"Thunder Force was released in late 1983 exclusively in Japan. Known versions of it exist on the following Japanese based computers: Sharp X1, Sharp MZ-1500, NEC PC-6001 mkII, NEC PC-8801 mkII, and Fujitsu FM-7. In 1984, an add-on was released named Thunder Force Construction for the Fujitsu FM-7, and NEC PC-9801 computers. The add-on allowed players to create custom made areas."

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Thunder Force = great. I own II, III, IV (it is the U.S. version, but I refuse to call it Lightening Force), all for the Genesis, and V (Perfect System for the U.S. PSX). It's one of the best shmup series ever created, imo.

I may have to pick up a copy of Thunder Spirits at some point. It's the one U.S. released TF game I've never owned.