Thread: Turbo Duo Problems - Please Help

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Turbo Duo Problems - Please Help

I have 2 and neither of them will play disks. It doesn't look like the disks are spinning. Any help on how to fix this or where to get parts would be great

Thanks

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what error does it give?
    www.justone-schnepel.de
    you can try them for a laser

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

If the discs aren't spinning up then the lid closed pinswitch is probably bad or isn't being depressed. I've never replaced one on a TurboDuo but bad CD lid pinswitches are common on JVC X'Eye's.

There should be a little plunger that the CD lid pushes down, this should push down a little switch on the board. The switch is there so that if you open the CD lid while a game is running the disc will stop spinning. Check to make sure that the tab is on the underside of the lid and that the little plunger is below it. If those look good then open them up and look for the pinswitch on the board.

Repair goes from there, either overriding it with a jumper (CD will ALWAYS be initalized even when the door is open) or replacing it. Don't replace the laser assembly right off the bat, nothing like going for one of the most expensive options right out of the gate - start with simple things first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it spins *at all* it will not be the lid sensor. Orient the disc a specific way, test and check. If the disc has moved at all, it's likely the optics, transport or laser assembly. Not the lid sensor. Easy test.

OSG can install brand new optics if it comes to that. I also can replace transports and more.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It doesn’t look to me like the disk is spinning at all. I don’t believe that it is the pin switch; when I close the lid and lock the CD tray the system asks me to hit run to start the disk. If I have the lid open then it tells me to close it. I pushed down both pin switches with the lid open and hit run nothing happened (disk wasn’t spinning).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't replace the laser assembly right off the bat, nothing like going for one of the most expensive options right out of the gate - start with simple things first.[/quote]
    I agree ...thats why asked what error it gives, ie: close door,reset disc.
    Remove the circular magnet from the door and place it on the disc.Overide the door closed switch buy holding it down or shorting it on the board. Now when you hit start try giving the disc a spin.Sometimes this helps the laser to see a spot on the disc it likes to at least spin the disc up and try to read the data. you might want to try it with no disc to see if the lens moves up and down trying to focus. If it moves which at least shows it is half alive try tweaking th pot clockwise on the little laser pcb that the connector plugs in.
    I think a laser will run you between $30 to $60 so its not really that expensive considering the average price of a working Duo and well worth the investment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

try tweaking th pot clockwise on the little laser pcb that the connector plugs in.
    I've tried this many times, and it's never really worked once. I'd love to hear if others have had success with it.

The new optics I install are tested with CDR backups as well, and read fantastically. I was pleasantly surprised at how good they are. They aren't recovered lasers from other Duo's, but new 'old stock' optics.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah tweaking the pot only helped me to read factory discs.With the laser dying reading cdr's was a 1 in 100 affair. I figure if he can get it to spin up by tweaking it at least he will know what part needs to be replaced. BTW I milked my DUO along for about a year by tweaking the pot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BTW I milked my DUO along for about a year by tweaking the pot.
    Cool, and thanks for sharing. Definitely better than nothing. For an OSG repair, it's gotta be 'repaired' though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope so Believe me it was a long year,once I found a supplier for the laser I replaced it. It been a beautiful thing ever since. BTW just curious, do you have a domestic supplier cause I had to order from overseas and the exchange rate killed me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope Singapore. Minimum, order 15 lasers plus. And the exchange/brokerage/bank transfer fees are still nasty.

Spread over a number of lasers though, OSG can offer a new laser replacement + install for waaaaay less than a replacement used Duo, with a used laser inside it.

I order more than Duo lasers, and more than 15.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh
    guess I got lucky ordering only one.Still did ok..$63 for the laser,$2 for the worn Duo, $65 for a Duo that runs like new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OSG installed lasers are only a few bucks more than what you paid.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats a great deal,but that doesn't include the satisfaction of doin it yourself although it does include the risk and expense of shipping my system. :P Your doin a good thing,keep up the good work. If I see any posts anywhere about Duo problems I will point them in this direction

A little off topic but I came across some NEC cd players that look exactly like the one used with the TG16. They were originally used with computers in a docking bay different than the one used on the game system. They are tan and the model is CDR-35D. Can they be used with the TG16? I don't have the rest of the components needed to test them.

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.collection's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't consider this dumb but, replace the the memory battery if there is one. This has worked for me on some other cd systems.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ressurecting this old ass thread!

Sorry to resurrect a 10yr old thread lol but I'm having problems with my PC Engine Duo. Bought it broken and recapped it and brought it back to life.... problem is that the cd-rom doesn't work. I know the cd assembly works as I tried it in my Turbo Duo but the PC Engine refuses to try to initiate it or the Turbo Duos assembly, it reads that the lid is always down as I can hit start at any time. If I hit start nothing happens with the cd eye, zero movement. Hell, I even completely removed the pin switch by desoldering it and it still reads that the cd lid is down. Any ideas?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Friend,

Have you try replacing the Plastic White gears on the System, I had the same problem with mines but is was a PC Engine DUO,
    They are a known problem on these Systems, next to Recapping them hahahaha.

Good luck, If you see the laser lighting up then its the gears, if not then it's the Laser.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hksrb25s14 View Post
    Hi Friend,

Have you try replacing the Plastic White gears on the System, I had the same problem with mines but is was a PC Engine DUO,
    They are a known problem on these Systems, next to Recapping them hahahaha.

Good luck, If you see the laser lighting up then its the gears, if not then it's the Laser.
    Neither of those actually, I've swapped my Turbo Duo cd assembly into it and it gets no response either....