Thread: have you ever completed a collection twice?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default have you ever completed a collection twice?

I posted a version of this in my blog (with a few pics), but here's the short of it.

A few years ago I completed the US Dreamcast collection - all 248. And then I sold it. Yes, I had a good reason.

I decided that I wanted to do it again, as I am completely nuts.

A few weeks ago (courtesy of our own goatdan trading me a needed NBA Hoopz manual), I finished the collection again.

No, I don't have any plans to sell this collection.

So my question... have any of ya'll ever done something similar? Collected a collection, lost/sold it, then did it again - as close to the same as possible as before. How long did it take? How big was the collection? Or am I simply a unique nutter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Almost.
    I have a complete Virtual Boy collection, and even after I completed it, I would still buy the games if I saw them around for cheap.
    I eventually made it too having 2 complete collections except for Jack Bros. and Waterworld (obviously).
    Since then though, I've sold most of the second collection.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You kidding me? I struggle just to maintain half of a collection!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you include my Intellivision Astrosmash collection, which looking in my closet... I've completed four times.

But I've yet to complete a single system collection. I give up too easily!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christhegamer
    You kidding me? I struggle just to maintain half of a collection!!!

I hear ya man, but at least I got good reason for not being close to haveing any 'complete' collection: I am 15, live with my parents, and got no job, but at least I still gots a few hundred games. I just look at my current collection as a head start for when I get a job and eventualy my own place and really start collecting! :P

BTW: for anybody interested, I also got 14 systems already that a person can really collect for, and then some p-n-plays and a couple OLD deticated systems, pong rip offs to be exact (and one is COMPLETE in box, I still think that it's kinda cool!)!
    I will get around to editing this thing again.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seeing I'm the kind of person who likes to begin things more than end, I've not finished at least half of what I own. No plans to ever complete them all either. That and also quite a few titles are just there for looks, I don't particularly enjoy them at all [such as Hoshigami].
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be happy the first time around . Pretty cool thought, kinda like challenging your self, get harder everytime. So tyler did you spend less money the second time than the first?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snes_collecter
    I'd be happy the first time around . Pretty cool thought, kinda like challenging your self, get harder everytime. So tyler did you spend less money the second time than the first?
    Actually, both times I did it through my side eBay business of buying/selling video games. Just grabbed em out one by one as they came in - of course, I was actively trying to win the rarer ones. There's only a handful that I actually had to flat-out buy... mostly when I got down to less than 20 left each time, and I just wanted to be done with it.

So, to answer your question, I technically cleared profit both times (even without counting what I sold the first collection for). Not a whole lot of profit, mind you. But some.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This isn't exactly the same thing, but I've sort of done this with both of my collections, Jaggy and Dreamcast.

I complete it, enjoy it for a while, and then decide that I need to pick up all of the cartridge, label and case variations. So I set back out to come up with them again.

Does Dreamcast US and Dreamcast PAL count, by the way? If so, then I'm working on my second Dreamcast set too. Will Japanese come next? (doubtful)
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'm probably gonna follow in your footsteps, goatdan. Next up will probably be the case variants (got a majority already), then the exclusive PALs... then (maybe) all the PALs... doubt that I'll ever go for a whole JAP collection.

But I'm gonna take a break for a while. Some time back I started an orderly numbering system for my eBay auctions - every DC system I sold was DCxxx.jpg. My last auction was DC156... and I've sold more than just those... so yeah, I'm kinda tired of looking at DCs. For now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

no, but I do have every intention of doing so, and the Dreamcast seems the most likely. I A) Plan to complete my sealed collection and then seek out a second sealed collection; And B) Complete an entire US collection too

I think a more obtainable target would be the N-Gage games. I could quite easially complete a sealed collection of those, and then seek out a second collection to play.

I have made progress in starting two collections of each so far. I have most of a sealed N-Gage collection, and a fair few unsealed games, and same goes for Dreamcast games. I have even made a start on a second sealed collection of Dreamy games as well from dupes I had from buying packages, but can always resell the dupes if need be if I am ever short of cash...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tylerwillis
    Well, I'm probably gonna follow in your footsteps, goatdan. Next up will probably be the case variants (got a majority already), then the exclusive PALs... then (maybe) all the PALs... doubt that I'll ever go for a whole JAP collection.
    PAL games just have really cool art. A lot of people complain that the game cases suck, and while they fall apart just by looking at them, in my opinion they are really neat to look at.

The Japanese games just have never attracted me for some reason. I still don't know why that is. I do want to pick up some other games that I haven't yet got from Japan though -- Samba 2000, Tokyo Bus Driver and Rez top my list
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I dont think i'd be able to do a double collection, but i've got no qualms about getting multiple copies of specific games for the variants... and for the DC i'm getting down to a precious 'few' that I've been able to find any info about.

All my other collections (even the NGPC) would be way too hard to re-collect. Though in buying lots for the NGPC I probably got withing 10 titles of having a second collection, but I much prefer selling the lots off to pay for the items I neeed from em.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Twice? Pretty sure that's impossible to do.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    Twice? Pretty sure that's impossible to do.
    Thank you. I'm adding "accomplished the impossible" to my résumé.