Thread: how do you like MadCatz products in general

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default how do you like MadCatz products in general

how do you like thier microcon line
    and thier wireless controlers

i have been mostly useing pelican (because they glow) and my guests generly like useing them -- but they are gettgin beat up - i was wondering about replaceing them with madcatz-- also i have a madcatz driveing wheel for the xbox which i like alot - so how do you guy like thier other products in general -- do you think its a company thats going to be around for a while -- also how do thier controlers sell - i see them all over in retail stores but i have no idea how they sell (im guessing if they dont sell they suck)
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: how do you like MadCatz products in general

I really, really like their 6-button Dreamcast controllers, and it seems so do a lot of people, as we keep selling out of them when we get them in stock at the GOAT Store. Whenever I'm playing a game that uses all the buttons like a fighting game, that one comes out.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually stay away from 3rd party accessories unless it's Logitech but I did pick up a GameShark 2 w/ Media Player (a MadCatz product) a couple days ago for $5 on clearance at Gamerush. I bought it new & sealed but it was missing the Key Code card that was supposed to be included with it so I can register it and download codes online from my PS2. Couldn't get the media player to work either (said it supports MP3 players via USB but it wouldn't recognize my iPod).

So no, I'm not really impressed with MadCatz products. Never tried their controllers though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a couple of ps2 controllers way back and they both quit working in under 6 months, so I would avoid

Insert Coin (Level 0) Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    xL0RD HELMETx

I use one of the wirless xbox controllers. I love it, but it is only a couple of weeks old, so I can't really comment on durability,.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's been years since I used anything from Mad Catz - back in the days of the N64 and PSX (memory card, which was fine, and some controllers). Come to think of it, I don't think I had any problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wouldn't buy a mem card but the control pads are decent. Some people are lucky with them and some are not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

I dont trust 3rd party controllers or memory cards.

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate Mad Catz!!!!!!

There are only two controllers in my collection made for systems NES + later that are completely nonfunctional. BOTH were made by Mad Catz (one for DC, one for PS2). A friend's N64 Mad Catz controller also went on the fritz. I do have a Mad Catz AV selector that seems to work OK.

So yeah, can't reccomend 'em for obvious reasons. Nowadays I go first party pretty much all the time for controllers and such. I have a few Pelican items that I'm quite satisfied with, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a couple PS2 Retrocon controllers (that I got at Best Buy on clearance for $5). They're pretty cool and I haven't had any problems with them. Wouldn't try my luck with memory cards, though.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Every piece of Madcatz crap I have bought died on me. I'll never that stuff again.

Poop>Madcatz
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have two Mad Catz controllers - one for my PlayStation 2 and one for my Xbox. They both work as well as they did when I bought them. I have never had any problems, and I like the fit and feel.

Generally, I think Mad Catz are good, though I would never buy a third party memory card. Never.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had a Mad Catz wireless Xbox controller for at least a year, and I 've never used anything else since then. It's very good and works as well as it did the day I bought it. I'm not too hard on my controllers, though.

Now the Nyko airflow wireless for the Cube was a piece of junk.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mad Catz was often better than 1st party.......back in the day. Mad Catz would routinely study a stock controller and decide what sucked about it, then "fix" the problems.

One day they got too big, started making big money and it's the same as any company. The stuff wasn't as good any more.

I still own older Pelican product and their stuff was great and affordable. I've had a Pelican N64 memory card since the N64 launch and it still works beautifully.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

I never buy any third party stuff unless its dirt cheap. In my opinion can never beat the real stuff baby

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have nothing but faith in Madcatz. Really, the only 3rd party company I trust. I've seen what goes on in their factory (they're the only accessory company with a dedicated factory in China), and what they go through to test their product lines: 1 million rotations on the analog sticks, drop damage, heat damage, and they have a machine that tests pulling the cord repeatedly at the top of the controller (can be a fail point with most other companies as well). Anyone complaining about how the lasted '6 months, then broke', why didn't you take it back, or contact Madcatz? All their products include a 5YEAR warranty. Better than MS's 90 day job.

My only recommendation is if you want an Xbox controller, get the control pad pro, rather than just the control pad. The better D-Pad is worth the extra few bucks. (and their control pad colors this year are awful!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that last coment made me beilve Madcatz was a 3rd party company to go with

i havent had too much experiece with 3rd party stuff but one of my favortie controlers for the psx was a mad catz controler - it worked so much better than the 1st party sony -- so in that arena i liked madcatz also ive used madcatz memory cards with out any problems ever and the driving wheel i mentioned for the xbox was better than the logitec one i had - also i have a madcatz driveing wheel for the saturn which works great -- but on recent systems i havent had great luck with 3rd party controlers (i havent tried madcats thats why i was asking) _ even the pelican glowing controlers that my guest like so much suck for many games - they seem to be good for platformers and sports games (it actualy seems that its the best one for quidich cup) - but they suck bad for flight sim, FPS, and driving games -- i guess ill give the mad catz brand a try for 3rd party controlers

oh yea - i noticed the madcatz xbox 360 controler recived some praise - anyone try it out here ( i dont have a 360 - im just curious)
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Every time I get a console that supports 4 players I end up with one name brand controller and three MadCatz ones. I've never had any problems with them, although I must say that my other 3 controllers probably get less use in a year than most other people's here get in a weekend. When the neices and nephews come over, those are the controllers I break out and I've never had a problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I almost always buy official 1st party products. But I do have a couple of MadCatz items and they've lasted well.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have a Madcatz A/V selector box that I bought back in '97 that is still in use today. In fact, I was so pleased with it, I bought another one just like it dirt cheap off of Ebay for the living room electronics.

Never liked their other accesories, though.