Thread: Gamecube RGB cable : official or not ?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamecube RGB cable : official or not ?

Hello

I'm considering buying an RGB cable for my Gamecube (and maybe another one for my N64) as I hear it improves picture quality.

The official ones are quite expensive at 30 €. But there are many alternatives for less than 5 € (Big Ben, GameRON, DraXter, no brand at all...).

Is there really a difference (other than the price) ? I mean, they're just cables. I have a cheap GBA-GC link cable that works perfectly. As anyone ever had any issue with a cheap RGB cable ?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Gamecube RGB cable : official or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc Picard
    Hello

I'm considering buying an RGB cable for my Gamecube (and maybe another one for my N64) as I hear it improves picture quality.

The official ones are quite expensive at 30 €. But there are many alternatives for less than 5 € (Big Ben, GameRON, DraXter, no brand at all...).

Is there really a difference (other than the price) ? I mean, they're just cables. I have a cheap GBA-GC link cable that works perfectly. As anyone ever had any issue with a cheap RGB cable ?
    RGB is superior to S-video, RCA composite, and RF. Are you talking about using the SCART RGB cable? PAL or NTSC? If it is NTSC, the Nintendo brand RGB scart AV cable is considered to be the best of the best. Better than 3rd party cables, and better than any other AV cable Nintendo has ever made. Believe it or not, Nintendo originally released it for the SNES.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for posting.

It would be an RGB SCART PAL cable.

So, the official one would be the best ?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to agree with Jagasian - the third party RGB cables are meant to be shocking. I steered well clear, and from what I've read, that was the best thing to do. As for the official cable, I have to say, I struggled to see much improvement. I feel cheated.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

NTSC Cubes don't output RGB. You need a modified cable (using parts of a composite and component cables) to make it. Takes some work.

Now if it PAL you are talking about, you'll need to get an official Nintendo RGB cable. Ones that were sold by third parties are almost all composite only. Why? Because Nintendo changed the pinouts on the Cube compared to the N64 and SNES and all the previous third party RGB cable no longer work!

Sadly Nintendo failed to tell anyone, and a lot of companies still manufacture RGB cable for Nintendo machines that won't work properly on a Cube.

Well it will work, you'll just get composite picture though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks.

I've got a PAL system. Is composite still better than regular AV (the one that was bundled with the console) ?

By using a cheap cable, is there any risk of damaging the console or the TV ?

I understand you always get what you paid for. You're all saying the official one is better. But I think asking 30 €/$ for a piece of cable is a little too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Ones that were sold by third parties are almost all composite only.
    and this is just not true. Yes, this happened in the beginning of the gc era because of the reasons you mentioned. If you buy a new Big Ben (or another of the GOOD 3rd party suppliers) Scart RGB cable it will have full 100% RGB support. And that's since 2003 already.

About the quality, some claim the Nintendo one is the only good one, others say Big Ben and others are almost up there with Nintendo. Basically it depends on the screen you use. If it's a smaller standard TV a Big Ben cable should be good enough. If it's anything bigger or a high-quality PAL (or even HD) tv or if you just want the ultimate best quality go with the Nintendo cable.
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is composite still better than regular AV (the one that was bundled with the console) ?
    NO, the standard cable IS composite. But read my post above.

no
    -Jan

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK then. These things are far too complicated for me. I'm glad I found experts here. I think I'll buy the Big Ben cable. Even if it's not perfect, I won't lose much.

Edit: Saitek (a manufacturer) confirms what Hydr0x said :
    Due to unannounced changes made by Nintendo in the European Gamecube hardware (like the removal of S-Video support, for example) the initial batches of RGB cables did not provide an RGB signal - to my knowledge nearly all the third party manufacturers were affected in the same way and the only RGB cable that provided RGB at launch was (of course) Nintendo's. We have since resourced the cables and they are now fully RGB compatible. We thought that we had already dealt with any of the initial batch that had slipped through but if you wish to pass any of these customers on to us we can send out a replacement cable that provides a full RGB signal, free of charge.

http://www.psreporter.com/gamecube_rgb_scart.html

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    NTSC Cubes don't output RGB. You need a modified cable (using parts of a composite and component cables) to make it. Takes some work.
    ??? How can you get true RGB - if Gamecube does not output the Green signal?

Do N64's have S-video or Component Cables available?

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx
    ??? How can you get true RGB - if Gamecube does not output the Green signal?

Do N64's have S-video or Component Cables available?
    The green component can be (and is) calculated from the R-Y, B-Y and Y signals.

N64: S-video yes, Component no.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks.

I've got a PAL system. Is composite still better than regular AV (the one that was bundled with the console) ?

I understand you always get what you paid for. You're all saying the official one is better. But I think asking 30 €/$ for a piece of cable is a little too much.
    I don't have a problem with paying these prices. It's a cable which provides you a btter picture everytime you play. Games also cost 60 euro, so then I don't care what the RGB-cable costs. I remember getting the Sony brand PS1 RGB-cable, damn hard to find and really expensive.