Thread: Found: Super Gameboy Game Genie Adapter?? Atari Game Kit??

Insert Coin (Level 0) shanonw76's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Found: Super Gameboy Game Genie Adapter?? Atari Game Kit??

A fellow member (Ken aka DrWiley008) told me i should post this. I recently bought a storage unit full of older games from an ex-flea market dealer. A lot of terric finds in there, however I came across a case of 12 "Super Gameboy Game Genie Adapters". It is basically a straight line circuit board which fits into a Super Gameboy for SNES and extends out to a black plastic housing which a original Gameboy Game genie will fit on. Thus allowing you to use a Game genie on your Super gameboy. I tested one and it worked. The black housing has a plain white label with " SUPER GAME BOY to Game Genie" on two lines. The first line is all capps, which the second is not. The black housing has "G1" raised in the plastic, slightly covered by the label. The circuit board portion has only "FRONT" at the top portion, "P1" at the center bottom, and a "1" at the left hand corner.
    Has anyone ever seen one of these? I figure it may be something along the lines of a NES Top Loader Game Genie which was created due to complaining parents that the Game Genie they bought their kid wouldn't fit in a Super Gameboy???? I'm just speculating here.
    They are packaged in what appears to be plastic bag, cut with the heating element of a shrinkwrap machine, and rather shoddily done I might add. They are not shrinkwrapped though. The box they were in did have a printed shipping label on it, but is faded way beyond recognition.
    If someone could host some pics, I'd send them some to post.
    Any info would be great!!

There was also an "Atari Game Kit". It is a plain cardboard box, with a red and white label that states "Atari Game Kit""Contains 40 Assorted Games" There are 40 games, in the boxes, mostly 7800 titles. They have been opened, but the original shrinkwrap is still intact on all of them. there were a few notable titles such as Ninja Golf and Title Match Pro Wrestling. Any info on this would also be appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Found: Super Gameboy Game Genie Adapter?? Atari Game Kit

Sounds interesting,congrats on your finds.
    Quote Originally Posted by shanonw76
    If someone could host some pics, I'd send them some to post.
    Try www.photobucket.com sign up and upload the pictures from your computer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Here's some pics

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember seeing these or a similar model advertised back in the day. I think Innovation might have marketed it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After doing some searching, I found one FAQ on the Super Gameboy (done in 1998) that stated you could by a adapter for the Super Gameboy from a company called Microsystems Development. The company does have a simple website (no pictures or products) but the phone number listed did match the one in the FAQ so I gave them a call. However, it was a complete waste of time. The person I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about. He told me that they develop microchips, EEPROMS, and processors and did not, as he put it "mess with video games". Guy was kind of a jerk. Oh well. I don't know if this was the type of adapter mentioned in the FAQ as it was a .txt file and no pictures were available. The search for more info continues.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you have any extra adapters to sell? I'd be interested in purchasing one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I do have extra's. I have 12 total. I will be keeping 2, the one that I opened in the picture, and one still in the bag for my collection. I will probably sell or trade the rest. For what or how much? I have no idea. I'm trying to get a feel of how rare this is. At this point I'm still unsure. These have obviously drawn some attention as I have already received about 5 PM's about wanting to buy or trade for one.
    I've only found one mention of an adapter on the internet, but the company that made it, as posted above, obviously has no information available. Is it an R10? or a R1? I've never seen one. Its not in the database. Ken (DrWily008), had never seen one, hence this post. Do I have all that are known of? Any other collectors that I've shown one to, has also never seen one.
    I seriously doubt that I have them all though, someone out there must have one of these. If you do, please post and shed some light on the subject.
    I thought about maybe putting one up on e-bay to see what it goes up to to maybe establish a value, but I'm unsure of what title to list it as for maximum exposure to attract SNES collectors and get a accurate value.
    I will say that I would trade one for a NES Top Loader Game Genie, as that is one NES (my main collection) accessory that has eluded me thus far.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shanonw76
    Yes I do have extra's. I have 12 total. I will be keeping 2, the one that I opened in the picture, and one still in the bag for my collection. I will probably sell or trade the rest. For what or how much? I have no idea. I'm trying to get a feel of how rare this is. At this point I'm still unsure. These have obviously drawn some attention as I have already received about 5 PM's about wanting to buy or trade for one.
    I will say that I would trade one for a NES Top Loader Game Genie, as that is one NES (my main collection) accessory that has eluded me thus far.
    Well, congrats on the find. I don't have the item you want to trade for, but I hope I have a slot reserved when it comes to buying one of the adapters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I'm always open to trades for something that I don't have for NES. Including merchandise, accessories, and so on. The Top Loader Game Genie just happens to be something I wouldn't hesitate to trade for.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I actually bought one of these from the company in the late 90s (97 or 98, maybe?).

I found that i have to pull the unit out of the SGB just a tad, or it never works...or did I have to pull the GG out of it a bit? Ah, one of those.

Anyway, It's pretty rare. I'd put them at an R8, since most people didn't know about them and they were never sold in stores.

Also, mine did not have that little label on it, but whatever.

I recall it came in a box or something and a baggie...nothing fancy...maybe a tiny instruction sheet, but I could be wrong.

I THINK they were somewhere between $7 and $20...don't remember.

I say call and get a different guy. Let them know it is an old product and wanted to see if they still had backstock. I know they still had a buttload back in the day. I don't think the guy had heard from anyone about it in a long while back when I called. I cn't remember--is there a part number on it? Maybe don't tell them what it's for. The guy sounds like a VG Nazi snot or something.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahh finally some insight. There isn't any part number, at least that i can see. I think I will try and give them a call back and see it I can get someone else.
    An R8 is a pretty good estimate I think, just based on the fact you had to call them to even order one. I know when I was a kid, if it wasn't in the stores, I didn't ask for one.
    As for packaging the ones I have are just in these little plastic bags, no boxes or instructions. However the box I found them in could very well not be the box the were shipped in.
    As for the label, they seem kinda cheap so having one without the label, which could have easily came off, isn't a big surprise.
    I'll post my findings later and thanks for the information!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aight i was wondering if you are willing to part with 1 of those,you have multiples dont ya?Lemme know ok!