Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's official PSP is a movie player not a gaming machine

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default It's official PSP is a movie player not a gaming machine

Fuck. I bought my psp to play games not play movies. I think it should be the other way around. Wipeout pure features a movie, not a movie featuring Wipeout pure.

All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

See, I think this is the perfect use of the UMD technology. You get the movie, and they add in extra value with bonus levels of PSP games, or demos and such. I like the idea, and honestly hope more companies use the idea in the future. I say this as a potential PSP owner this XMas...

I would like to see it the other way around where you buy a game, and maybe have an episode of Family Guy or movie trailers or something. Seems like a good idea to me.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't EVER see them including a movie or episode with a game, too many liscensing issues. You're basically giving away a free episode of the family guy, fox would gain nothing, and at the price they charge for seasons dvd's, they'd probly lose $3 for that one episode
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Default Re: It's official PSP is a movie player not a gaming machine

Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    Fuck. I bought my psp to play games not play movies. I think it should be the other way around. Wipeout pure features a movie, not a movie featuring Wipeout pure.
    I don't really understand that statement. That is a movie featuring Wipeout Pure (said UMD movie being Stealth), not Wipeout Pure featuring a movie (of which there is a seperate, game-only title).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These videos don't bother me all that much but what does is the fact that they take up all of the room in stores and that's all you see. PS2 plays DVDs amd EB games didn't start selling those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Cmtz, sit down, please, before you rupture an artery.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not a movie featuring Wipeout pure.
    Stealth really isn't a movie. It was more like Jamie Foxx and Jesica Biel trying to be Tom Cruise and Goose. It really didn't work.[/quote]

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Umm... Maybe you don't understand what that is. That is the movie "Stealth" on UMD. It comes with a bonus track for Wipeout Pure. So if you own Wipeout pure, this just gives you a new track to play. It is an incentive for people to buy the movie. It is a promotional tactic by the people behind the movie to include a special "Steath" track. That is not a copy of the game Wipeout Pure. I'm not sure what you wanted to see here. Did you want the box to predominantly feature Wipeout artwork with maybe a sticker or a dialogue bubble at the bottom saying "Oh by the way, this box contains the full-length feature 'Stealth' on UMD, not the game 'Wipeout Pure'"

Cmtz, might I suggest that you put down the mouse and keyboard before you accidentally poke out an eye?

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba

Umm... Maybe you don't understand what that is. That is the movie "Stealth" on UMD. It comes with a bonus track for Wipeout Pure. So if you own Wipeout pure, this just gives you a new track to play. It is an incentive for people to buy the movie. It is a promotional tactic by the people behind the movie to include a special "Steath" track. That is not a copy of the game Wipeout Pure. I'm not sure what you wanted to see here. Did you want the box to predominantly feature Wipeout artwork with maybe a sticker or a dialogue bubble at the bottom saying "Oh by the way, this box contains the full-length feature 'Stealth' on UMD, not the game 'Wipeout Pure'"

Cmtz, might I suggest that you put down the mouse and keyboard before you accidentally poke out an eye?

Chris
    Do you really want to suggest that Jibba? Now he might not poke his eye out.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Chris
    Might want to note this is also $39.99.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fuck. I bought my psp to play games not play movies.
    Both Microsoft & Sony are trying to merge everything into one entertainment box - its play movies, games, and MP3s. What's wrong with that?

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx
    Fuck. I bought my psp to play games not play movies.
    Both Microsoft & Sony are trying to merge everything into one entertainment box - its play movies, games, and MP3s. What's wrong with that?
    EVERYTHING

or nothing. Depends what mood I'm in.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod

Chris
    Might want to note this is also $39.99.
    $19.99 at Wal-Mart (They have it listed at a regular price of $29.99)

Or if you want to order it online:

$29.99 at DeepDiscountDVD.com

Chris

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still don't get why people would even want to watch a movie on such a tiny screen. When I see a movie, I want the largest screen possible along with a good surround sound system. Portable gaming can be fun. Portabole movie watching I have no desire to take part in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rogmeister
    I still don't get why people would even want to watch a movie on such a tiny screen. When I see a movie, I want the largest screen possible along with a good surround sound system. Portable gaming can be fun. Portabole movie watching I have no desire to take part in.
    Actually moreso than that, to me it's a total waste. Why? Because how many times am I going to watch a movie?? That's right.. once.

Ok.. twice maybe. Three times at MOST. But you definitely won't catch me watching the same movie over and over again and definitely not on a PSP.

That to me is why movies are the stalest and dumbest thing to fork out cash for. It's a one time shoot your load deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Waa waa movies.

That's entertainment, my friends. Sometimes it's interactive, sometimes it's not. Don't slight watching movies on a PSP. If you ever fly or commute on a train or sit idly somewhere on a regular basis, the PSP is fantastic for watching movies. I like having this option, because sometimes I just don't feel like playing a game for ANOTHER 2 hours.

Should there be a rental market for UMDs? Obviously. But in the meantime, the impetus to buy movies is similar to that of buying DVDs. And for kids and people who don't have megasurroundsoundHD setups, the PSP ain't half bad.

I understand the resistance to progress on a board like this, i.e. the resistance to change (where's my paddle to PS2 adapter plug anyway?), but convergence is coming and soon it won't be what device you have for convergence, but what brand you represent by owning. Oh, wait, that's barely different from now.

And if you are slamming the PSP and you're one of those Nintendorks who things the DS is completely superior to the PSP, well, I have no respect for your opinion anyway. They are both fun pieces of hardware for different reasons. It's a Cubs vs. White Sox arguement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    Actually moreso than that, to me it's a total waste. Why? Because how many times am I going to watch a movie?? That's right.. once.

Ok.. twice maybe. Three times at MOST. But you definitely won't catch me watching the same movie over and over again and definitely not on a PSP.

That to me is why movies are the stalest and dumbest thing to fork out cash for. It's a one time shoot your load deal.
    Well, if you were to rent a movie three times, plan on spending on average $12.00 for those rentals. When a DVD is released, you can usually pick one up for $15-16. So its not really a "waste" unless you plan on watching the thing only once. But I guess you'd be an idiot to buy a movie only to watch it once.

I for one only pick up movies that I deem as classics or TV series that I'll watch over and over again, such as The Godfather, Star Trek, The Simpsons, Star Wars, etc. etc.

I laugh at the people who pick up movies they've never seen before, or those that "cockroach" at Wal-Mart for the $5.99 movies. If the movie wasn't worth your while at $9.99 or $14.99, how is it any more worth your while now? There's a reason those movies are $5.99 - they suck. Once in a while you may find an overlooked movie, but I don't need to add "Cocktail" or "Village of the Damned" to my collection any time soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid
    Waa waa movies.

That's entertainment, my friends. Sometimes it's interactive, sometimes it's not. Don't slight watching movies on a PSP. If you ever fly or commute on a train or sit idly somewhere on a regular basis, the PSP is fantastic for watching movies. I like having this option, because sometimes I just don't feel like playing a game for ANOTHER 2 hours.

Should there be a rental market for UMDs? Obviously. But in the meantime, the impetus to buy movies is similar to that of buying DVDs. And for kids and people who don't have megasurroundsoundHD setups, the PSP ain't half bad.

I understand the resistance to progress on a board like this, i.e. the resistance to change (where's my paddle to PS2 adapter plug anyway?), but convergence is coming and soon it won't be what device you have for convergence, but what brand you represent by owning. Oh, wait, that's barely different from now.

And if you are slamming the PSP and you're one of those Nintendorks who things the DS is completely superior to the PSP, well, I have no respect for your opinion anyway. They are both fun pieces of hardware for different reasons. It's a Cubs vs. White Sox arguement.
    I am one that takes business trips every other month. I find my self on flights that typically last 3-4 hours. I can understand the portability of a PSP for movies, but by far portable DVDs are more popular. I have both a PSP and a portable DVD and find myself using the latter to watch in flight movies. I NEVER see anyone watching a UMD movie on a flight. I think part of it is financial - portable DVD players are generally cheaper, and if you have a DVD player at home you can use the same media, rather than having to buy a whole new movie without all the bells and whistles of a DVD. Second, I believe most people view the PSP as a gaming device first - so you don't see many adults in their 40s and 50s watching a UMD.

With 7" portable DVD players running as low as $70 on sale, I think its more economical and convenient to watch a DVD rather than a UMD, regardless of how beautiful the PSP screen is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid
    If you ever fly or commute on a train or sit idly somewhere on a regular basis, the PSP is fantastic for watching movies.
    Funnily enough, I'm flying out to Japan for a day this Sunday the 11th. Then later to the pacific for Christmas. I'll be travelling for about 16 hours+ total in one direction and what will I be taking with me? That's right.. my PSP & DS The psp though will be mostly for game playing (TG16 Military Madness in particular.. which I'm right in the middle of)

I'm definitely a DS fanboy but I'm also a PSP one as well. You can pretty much name most any console and I will say I'm a fanboy of it. I just think movies are a waste of time. I'm definitely not a movie guy

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    I laugh at the people who pick up movies they've never seen before, or those that "cockroach" at Wal-Mart for the $5.99 movies. If the movie wasn't worth your while at $9.99 or $14.99, how is it any more worth your while now? There's a reason those movies are $5.99 - they suck. Once in a while you may find an overlooked movie, but I don't need to add "Cocktail" or "Village of the Damned" to my collection any time soon.
    Hey! They put some damn good movies in that $5.50 bin, if you dig through the crap like the workout videos and seasons of "Friends" you'll find a lot of low profile releases, and older films. Sometimes it's the only place you'll find a movie you've been looking for, or even forgotten about.