Thread: Pc gaming and gamepads

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Pc gaming and gamepads

Gamepad

Anyone here have or recommend this pc gamepad? I'm thinking of picking it up seeing how my gravis pro, as much as I like it, is showing its age and acting wonky. Also wanting to finally pick up Knights of the Old Republic as well.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I have this one, and the one I have works great.

FYI, KOTOR works great on a PC with your mouse and keyboard - no gamepad required. In fact, it might even be something of a hindrance to you.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats the controller i have.

I use it when i play "Vice City" and i really have zero complaints about it...aside from its lack of analog buttons (when you drive, you drive at top speed all the time.)

For anything else i use it on it's great.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is my choice of PC game controllers, and it works pretty well with emulators.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    I have this one, and the one I have works great.

FYI, KOTOR works great on a PC with your mouse and keyboard - no gamepad required. In fact, it might even be something of a hindrance to you.
    Thing is I'm not that great playing games like that with the keyboard and mouse, so gamepads are my thing (maybe fact I'm left-handed and I use my right hand usually for the mouse and cursor keys). i'll give it a shot without first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally like KOTOR better with the keyboard I think it works great. Speaking of KOTOR I never got the second one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Heeyyy! Wait a minute.

I had to replace my Microsoft Sidewinder (6-button ala Saturn) some weeks ago, and this was the controller I bought. I think it's very good for analog control, but otherwise I hate it.

Namely, the d-pad sucks. It royally sucks. Even for PC joypads, which have always been scraping the bottom of the barrel, this one is terrible. I can't play anything that requires digital control.

Nobody knows how to make a good d-pad anymore. The problem is that the directions aren't precise. Changing direction is a lot muddier. You can hold down right, but if you happen to shift your thumb in even the slightest, the pad registers as up or down...or diagonals.

Microsoft's Sidewinder had this problem also (I couldn't ever play Pac-Man without turning the wrong corner suddenly), but this is far worse. Forget about playing anything via Genesis, SNES, or GBA emulators. I'd like to be able to run through the earlier Advance Castlevanias, just to jog my memory (I'm playing through the new DS Dawn of Sorrow), but I can't control the characters with any sort of precision.

Did I mention tonight how much I hate these people?

Do the XBox 360 controllers have USB connections? If so, I'll be getting those instead. That, amigos, is a real controller.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

XBOX 360 controllers for the PC have USB connectors.

They are mentioned in the newest PC Gamer.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I must agree that this gamepad is a 100% DO NOT BUY.

I bought it for my wife thinking it was so similar to the awesome PS2 gamepad, that it had to be good. The truth is: the D-pad is, indeed, terrible. Just as the poster above stated, it is insanely sensitive when pressing left or right. If you do not have it exactly, and I mean exactly, left or right, it ends up registering as up or down. This essentially rendered the gamepad useless.

Stay away.

However, I heartily recommend the Saitek P880 or the P2500 (same as the P880 but with rumble).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Thing is I'm not that great playing games like that with the keyboard and mouse, so gamepads are my thing (maybe fact I'm left-handed and I use my right hand usually for the mouse and cursor keys). i'll give it a shot without first.
    KOTOR has this semi-turn-based system a la Baldur's Gate (for the PC), where you pause the game with the space bar and then give orders for your whole crew. Giving orders is as simple as clicking on your teammate (making them active), then clicking on the bad guy (or the door, or the computer, whatever) and telling them what you want them to do. Since the game is paused, there's no need for lightning-quick reflexes, so you don't necessarily have to be "good" with the keyboard + mouse to play with them - just good at being strategic with your combat. Walking around is done via WSAD, so if that's really annoying for you, then maybe not - but again, you can set it to auto-pause any time you see a baddie, so combat IMO is much better with the K+M.

With the gamepad, you are forced to cycle through available baddies and stuff like that - annoying.

If you can navigate Windows, you'll probably have no problem with this game. KOTOR...what a great game. I want to go through it again on the Dark Side this time.

Make sure you save up lots of cash. Play all the Pazaak you can.

*some might consider this a spoiler, I guess*

There are two "legendary" light sabre crystals you can get on this space station (on Xbox, you have to have Live to download an update - I believe that KOTOR PC has this included, or at the very least it's a patch? but i don't think you need to patch) around Yavin, and they have UNGODLY power, but cost 20,000 credits or so each and you can only get them near the end of the game. Man, those two crystals (teal + orange light sabre colors) are so awesome - I was cutting things down left and right; just tap an enemy and they go down like a dog, and I had those super cut-up moves where you do the flurry of strikes, and DUAL-WIELD with both of those.

Awesome. I was a machine.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

What's WSAD?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    What's WSAD?
    He's referring to the W, A, S, and D keys on your keyboard typically used for movement in most PC games.

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree, the D-pad sucks. I bought it for playing old school emulatoin... bad idea. Imagine playing any mario or sonic game, ok? Press right to walk forward and your character will randomly duck or look up; the pad keeps registering the wrong direction! Probably designed with 3D games where rapid and fluid changes in direction are helpful. You'll probably be fine using it for modern gaming, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been thinking about picking up one of the 360 control pads but then I thought. What games do I play on PC? Shooters, RPGs and Strategy games. So I don't really need one. You really don't need a gamepad to enjoy many PC games with the exception of badly done console ports and racing games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I would have picked up one the XBox PC controllers, but not a big fan of them. Aren't they made smaller now and better fitting? Outside of Logitech's then, any other suggestions of a decent controller- either PS2 shaped or not?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I snagged a RadioShack Playstation-to-USB adapter. Solves the issue of the crap D-Pad (on every PC pad I've seen currently on the market), plus the analog sticks on the logitech model wear out quickly, from what I've heard. Not sure how effective (if at all) the analog sticks are with the adapter, though. I've only used it for NES emulation so far, and I get no response from the sticks, though that's probably got more to do with the software itself, and the fact I just used the generic gamepad config XP autodetected this as, instead of the manufacturer's driver CD.

Also, if you haven't played it yet, KOTOR plays a lot more like the old Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale) than it's XBOX origins suggest, and I found mouse-centric controls with WSAD movement worked best for it. I wouldn't bother with the gamepad for it.

EDIT: LINK to a review of a product similar to mine. They used the included software, with positive results. I know the one I bought at Radioshack is a different model; not sure if the same company manufactured it, so there might be some functionality differences between these adapters.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quick question: I used to have a Sidewinder(loved it), why did Microsoft stop making these?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

How much is this Playstation-to-USB adapter and do they still sell them?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personal have a gamecube to PC connector. Couldn't recomend it more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Slightly off-topic but not really - if emulation of classics is what's desired, I'm very interested to hear what people think of the GP2X Linux handheld - it apparently emulates quite a few of the oldies, and was wondering how the whole thing performed, how its controls are, how user-friendly, etc.