Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Default Games that should not have sequels

After i read this rumour i was pissed. Shadow of the Colussus was a great unique game, but it's the games one of a kind charm that makes it special.

It's the ultimate case of you against the world, David Slaying Goliath and pure passion. Yet a sequel could never be as good because it's a minimalist game and anythign you add would potenitally ruin what makes the game special.

Shadow should not, and does not need a sequel, yet if the rumour is true (and knowing Sony that's possible) then dark times lie ahead.

Some games just shouldn't have sequels, just like some movies shouldn't.

Shadow is a great recent example but what other games shouldn't have sequels.

Katamari Damacay also comes to mind. Despite the fan out cry We Love Katamari was not nessecary and if you need any further proof of that just look at what the game's creator had to say.

D is another a game that didn't need a sequel. D2 was a spectacular game, but it wasn't really a sequel to D, at least not a true one.

I'm sure there are plenty more.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mario Party totally didn't need a sequel. Yea, it was a cool game when it was first created, but did it really need a sequel or 6 sequels?

The first game of the series was the only good one IMO, the rest are just rehashes and rehashes and rehashes.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No more Army Men games ever.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Katamari Damacy didn't need the sequel.

Grand Theft Auto

and uhh
    Then Morgoth hurled aloft Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dr. Mario

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Syphon Filter
    Then Morgoth hurled aloft Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Final Fantasy :P

The 7th Guest didn't need a sequel and by all accounts The 11th Hour was a game that no one really wanted to make but cash + creating a product series a studio could stand upon seemd to be more important.

Myst didn't need any sequels since it was terribly overrated to begin with.

Grandia should never have had sequels made, especially since they totally threw out the world created in the original (my all time favorite RPG). To this day I still can't believe that people go on and on about Grandia II when compared to the original it was an ubereasy joke of a game.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Final Fantasy :P
    Not a bad idea...

Matías

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Tetris was done to its potential on the origional.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Quote Originally Posted by Kuros
    Mario Party totally didn't need a sequel. Yea, it was a cool game when it was first created, but did it really need a sequel or 6 sequels?

The first game of the series was the only good one IMO, the rest are just rehashes and rehashes and rehashes.
    I love Mario Party, I play them for the mini games. I have all 7. To each his own I guess.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Bust a move, most overdone series, ever.

Close runner up, Adventure Island.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hell no. The sequels made the franchise! You've never played Riven or seen Uru: Ages Beyond Myst in action, I'm assuming.

I think most any game can do fine with a sequel. Add some new stuff and a deep enough game - even those with a "finished" storyline - can draw you back in again. I don't know what the deal is for the sequel to Shadow, but you can always have stories in the same continuum.

Personally, I'm hoping something along the lines of Killer 7 will appear (except this time, give us some CQC, damnit! More blood, too...I mean the vials...)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bubsy. Oh wait, we didnt need the first one.
    Aero the acrobat
    Mario party
    John Madden Football
    POKEMONI'll admit, I played red/blue in the day, and it wasn't that bad of a game! The ENDLESS SEQUELS are not appreciated.
    Banjo Kazooie
    Also: Startropics could have continued much better, i think, but Startropics 2 killed it.
    Also: I wish toejam and earl 2 hadn't been so lame, maybe we would have seen #3 before xbox then...heh.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Hell no. The sequels made the franchise! You've never played Riven or seen Uru: Ages Beyond Myst in action, I'm assuming.

I think most any game can do fine with a sequel. Add some new stuff and a deep enough game - even those with a "finished" storyline - can draw you back in again. I don't know what the deal is for the sequel to Shadow, but you can always have stories in the same continuum.

Personally, I'm hoping something along the lines of Killer 7 will appear (except this time, give us some CQC, damnit! More blood, too...I mean the vials...)
    Myst did not warrent a sequel, however the sequel it got more then worthwhile. Riven Made the series great and Uru brought it in new directions. It's kind of a rare case of an unwanted sequel actually being worthwhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    Myst did not warrent a sequel, however the sequel it got more then worthwhile. Riven Made the series great and Uru brought it in new directions.
    Hmm, looks familiar...

It's kind of a rare case of an unwanted sequel actually being worthwhile.
    Not so. Everybody - anybody who was into adventure gaming at the time, from those just getting into it, to those who still felt betrayed by Infocom's disappearance from the market, was interested in this game. I had no way to play Riven myself, but I was still captivated.

As for Myst warranting or not warranting a sequel, remember that graphical adventure games on CD-ROM were pretty new. Myst has a lot of corny "look at this" graphical doodads and is pretty uneven, and they probably hid away too much of the storyline in the initial installment (plus the actors sucked at all their parts except Rand's Atrus, no offense Rand and Robyn - though actually Rand hated playing Atrus). In short, it was promising for the time, but not at the level where you could say "wow this is great stuff." Riven changed all that.

Also, @ Kamino: I thought TJ&E was pretty good. Not amazing, but it certainly moved more units than the first one did...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

I am going to have to say........ DDR.

I mean, COME ON!

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Square should have never made Chrono Cross.

Grandia should never have had sequels made, especially since they totally threw out the world created in the original (my all time favorite RPG). To this day I still can't believe that people go on and on about Grandia II when compared to the original it was an ubereasy joke of a game.
    A part of my soul dies when people have the gumption to say Grandia 2 was better then the original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Note: some of these have been said but I share the same opinion...

-Final Fantasy(the spinoff's, aka X2, All the FFVII stuff, ect). IMO FFVII is a great game and a classic(even if it is abit overrated). But the Advent Children movie, the cell phone games in Japan, that one game starring Vincent, ect. Are ruining the legend of FFVII and making me hate it more and more with each spinoff/movie/whatever.

-Halo. Well atleast make a sequel that lives up to the first one...

-Pokemon, I did when they were new, and still consider Pokemon Red/Blue to be one of the best handheld games ever(I put them together cause they are basicly the same). But seriously, this was an awesome little RPG, Huge world to explore, tons of replay value, plenty of secrets/glitches, limited multiplayer battling and trading/ect. I consider Pokemon Blue to still be my top handheld game(don't laugh!). But then the whole thing became a fad of cards/movies/endless game spinoffs that seemed to get worse with each sequel!

-Devil May Cry, I know part 3 was pretty awesome. But I think DMC would have been better as a stand alone game, and plus DMC2 wouldn't have tarnished the name so badly.

-DDR, seriously enough is enough already!

-Soul Calibur, this game blew me away in every catagory! A 10/10 fighter indeed. However I found both SC2 and 3 to pretty much just be a rehash to an "expansion pack". The just feel like copy's with a few things added, and are not enough to impress.

-Worms, This is one of my very favorite strategy/multiplayer games ever! It is a brilliant game, but once you own one you own them all! I have Armageddon on Dreamcast and I really don't have any reason to go forward or back in the series. Worms:3D is still the same thing just in cough3Dcough, and with a crappy camera.

Note: Sorry if I offended anyone with my views here, just expressing my 10 cents.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    Myst did not warrent a sequel, however the sequel it got more then worthwhile. Riven Made the series great and Uru brought it in new directions.
    Hmm, looks familiar...

It's kind of a rare case of an unwanted sequel actually being worthwhile.
    Not so. Everybody - anybody who was into adventure gaming at the time, from those just getting into it, to those who still felt betrayed by Infocom's disappearance from the market, was interested in this game. I had no way to play Riven myself, but I was still captivated.

As for Myst warranting or not warranting a sequel, remember that graphical adventure games on CD-ROM were pretty new. Myst has a lot of corny "look at this" graphical doodads and is pretty uneven, and they probably hid away too much of the storyline in the initial installment (plus the actors sucked at all their parts except Rand's Atrus, no offense Rand and Robyn - though actually Rand hated playing Atrus). In short, it was promising for the time, but not at the level where you could say "wow this is great stuff." Riven changed all that.

Also, @ Kamino: I thought TJ&E was pretty good. Not amazing, but it certainly moved more units than the first one did...
    Actually that was a case of me making a mistake because i was trying to rush the post during my break. It should have read unwarrented not unwanted. I too wanted Riven and got it, just like every Myst game after it, at launch. But Mysts story didn't warrent a sequel, at least it didn't to me. I though everything was reasonably settled after freeing Atrus (and yes Rand miller was amazing in that role).

The gameplay warrented another game with similar gameplay, just not a direct sequel.

Now Riven did manage to continue the story and do so in a non-cheesy or bastardized fashion and that was very impressive. Riven brought the history of the D'ni more into to story and then things got very interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kamino
    POKEMONI'll admit, I played red/blue in the day, and it wasn't that bad of a game! The ENDLESS SEQUELS are not appreciated.
    I quite agree with you. None of the new Pokemon games even hold a candle to the old ones, which are the best in the series.
    Lurking since '05