Thread: Games that should not have sequels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Any DDR game
    Any Pokemon or the pokemon clones that all have a million sequels.

Mario Party or any of the shit party games.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd note there's a big difference between not needing a sequal for a specific title, and wishing that the sequal was better [which implies that the sequal wasn't as pleasing as the original].

On that vein I'm thinking Alundra 2. It would've been a nice continuation of the first, however 2 was by all means, sucky.

A lot of what's been mentioned fits into wishing the sequal was better.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DDR, no more sequals please! Just give us some expanion sets with new songs and junk that will run off of one of the already existing titles and the Xbox Hdd

Pokemon, Honestly, I loved the red and blue games. really fun. But then they went on and on and on and on and on, and when will it stop with the newer and crapier games and more and more and more pokemon! I loved when there were 151, and some more if you looked are enough, but 3,962 just may be a bit too much for 'Gotta catch 'Em All'. Stop the pokemadness.

Mario Party, just one or two to a system is enough, that is until they actualy start making theem so diffrent each release that haveing multiple releases is worth it.

and I know I could come up with more, but I just wanted to make a short 2 min post.

And BTW Jumpman Junior, there have been a couple good Tetris sequals. The 2 I can think of are Tetris Plus in the arcades (and MAME) and Tetris worlds is worth getting just for the custom soundtracks option.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time & Brave Fencer Musashi are two that come to mind immediately for me. They're both amazing games, but the sequels are just so completely horrible that I would have preferred them to never have been made.

I also think that most incredibly unique games (stuff like Killer 7, Cubivore, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.) shouldn't get sequels as well. They just wouldn't feel as unique any more.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Myst didn't need any sequels since it was terribly overrated to begin with.
    Hell no. The sequels made the franchise! You've never played Riven or seen Uru: Ages Beyond Myst in action, I'm assuming.
    Yes I have, I owned and played them all - even after Cyan said over and over again that Riven would be the final game in the series. The whole "open a door and it closes another passage" crap was far too overdone in Riven, game took about two days to complete.

Uru was a freaking bust, how can you say that game was good? The whole community interaction angle was what was going to make it stand above the earlier games. However "Uru Live" didn't even make it out of alpha before it was scraped. Guess Peter Gabriel got a bit too much scratch so the game was released underfeatured.

Now a game that NEEDED a sequel was Loom, and while it sold well the originally planned two sequels ("Forge" and "The Fold") were killed before they even began simply because no one wanted to work on them, even Brian Moriarty (creator of Loom) was too busy working on early stages of The Dig to do anything with Forge. Mike Stemmle and Sean Clark were doing eary production work on Forge but left it to do Sam & Max Hit the Road instead. THOSE were adventure games.

As for DDR - DDR on the XBox is just stupid, a game so heavily based in Japanese popculture on a console the Japanese dispise? Anyway, I say bring on more DDR games however stop with all this American poppy crap they've included in the last few releases. After DDRMAX2 (DDR 7th Mix) in the arcade it went all downhill. My favorite DDR games still stand as DDR 3rd Mix and DDR 4th Mix, well worth importing for the PS1. At least Beatmania is getting an official US release soon.

Will also say that I agree about Tetris, there have been some truly awful sequels. However if you say stop at the first then you mean the old wide distrubution PC version. My favorite versions of Tetris have always been the Tengen NES release, V-Tetris on the Virtual Boy (because it's so damn relaxing to play) and The Next Tetris on the PlayStation because it kept the traditional gameplay alive and made it a blast for multiplayer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Myst didn't need any sequels since it was terribly overrated to begin with.
    Hell no. The sequels made the franchise! You've never played Riven or seen Uru: Ages Beyond Myst in action, I'm assuming.
    Yes I have, I owned and played them all - even after Cyan said over and over again that Riven would be the final game in the series. The whole "open a door and it closes another passage" crap was far too overdone in Riven, game took about two days to complete.

Uru was a freaking bust, how can you say that game was good? The whole community interaction angle was what was going to make it stand above the earlier games. However "Uru Live" didn't even make it out of alpha before it was scraped. Guess Peter Gabriel got a bit too much scratch so the game was released underfeatured.

Now a game that NEEDED a sequel was Loom, and while it sold well the originally planned two sequels ("Forge" and "The Fold") were killed before they even began simply because no one wanted to work on them, even Brian Moriarty (creator of Loom) was too busy working on early stages of The Dig to do anything with Forge. Mike Stemmle and Sean Clark were doing eary production work on Forge but left it to do Sam & Max Hit the Road instead. THOSE were adventure games.
    I couldn't agree more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tom Clancy games in general and Tony Hawk I love the series but I think this game has had a sequel to many.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

ZELDA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tomb Raider & Super Monkey Ball.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please, oh please, never make a sequel to "Sprung."

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ikari Warriors 2: Victory Road. What the heck was up with this piece of crap?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I made that back about a year ago. I mean, I remember the old Treasure as a company that said they would never make sequels. Then they did Advanced Guardian Heroes. And later on, Super Gunstar Heroes (remember the PSP fakes?)...

So I figured that the DS made perfect sense. I won't even get into the controls, as anyone who's played Ikaruga for 10 seconds can probably figure them out. On top of that... Ugh. You got these great games, on great systems doing great things. Crimping them into the GBA or even the DS is possible, but should you? Isn't it like dancing on the graves of them good ol' memories?
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.