Thread: Does anyone own the original Baldur's Gate for PC?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Does anyone own the original Baldur's Gate for PC?

Did anyone ever play and get into Baldur's Gate for the PC? The original one I'm talking about where I guess it's like Diablo? Is it good? If someone still owns it, can you scan the back of the box and jewel case for me? Someone at work is selling it for $15 and wanted to see what it's like. (I could go on ebay but with shipping it comes out to about the same)

thanks in advance

you can send a scan here: ecustom@rochester.rr.com

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

rather than google I will ask the internet to scan the back of the box for me, because the back of the box and its marketing hype is much more valid information than objective reviews on the internet! yay!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye
    rather than google I will ask the internet to scan the back of the box for me, because the back of the box and its marketing hype is much more valid information than objective reviews on the internet! yay!
    Of course I googled first. I get a ton of things about all versions of baldur's date but I can't find a scan of the back of the box and jewel case to the original game. I want to read and see the pictures on it. I even visited bioware website and planet bladur gate. I like the back of boxes.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I went to google and typed "baldurs gate back of the box" and this was on the first page:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...gate/cover-art

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye
    I went to google and typed "baldurs gate back of the box" and this was on the first page:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...gate/cover-art
    Wow! I never tried adding 'back of box'. I always went into google images and just typed in baldurs gate. thanks!

Btw, those boxes are uninspiring. Is it a good game?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very good game, but not a bit like Diablo (that would be Dark Alliance). Think more along the lines of KOTOR 1 and 2, if that helps. Very rules-intensive (based on 2nd edition AD&D rules) and very challenging, especially the early game in Baldur's Gate 1 (BG2 starts your characters levelled a bit, and it's easier to get going, but has some major tough fights later on). Generally considered the last great Traditional (not so much action or console-like) RPG for PC, but has a bit of a learning curve if you've never played PC RPGs beyond Diablo and its ilk.

EDIT: If you're still interested, I suggest trying to find the "Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga" pack. It already includes the expansion pack, and from what I've heard, comes on fewer CDs (or maybe a DVD, not sure).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't own it, never played it, but I know it's good. I don't think $15 is a good deal for it used though. I know you can get complete sets of 1, 2, and the expansion for $20 new. Look around a bit and decide.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never really cared for the first game, though I haven't tried to get back into it in about 4 years. The sequel on the other hand, is one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure to play.

The combat system isn't really like diablo's at all. Initially I thought that it was going to be like that, but it's a hell of a lot more complex and well developed, not to mention that at any point in time during the game you can hit spacebar to pause it and issue your orders, queue up actions, etc.

I bought the DVD version a while back and I've been meaning to give it another whril at some point to see if my opinion has changed, as since then I've tried and loved Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, and Baldur's Gate II. Maybe I just tried it at the wrong time or I didn't put in that one extra curcial hour, I don't know.

But yea, get it and then get Baldur's Gate 2 post-fucking-haste. If you like and finish the first game, you can import your character. If you dislike the first game, you'll still have the sequel, which is pure gold.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2 > 1, but both are very excellent games that have very little in common with Diablo. Diablo 2 is my favourite game of all time, and I'd say that Baldur's Gate 2 was a good run for my time.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've played Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance on PS2/Xbox. Is Baldur's Gate 2 the same game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PS1Expert
    I've played Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance on PS2/Xbox. Is Baldur's Gate 2 the same game?
    Nothing like it!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So Baldur 1 and 2 is not 'guantlet-like'?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PS1Expert
    So Baldur 1 and 2 is not 'guantlet-like'?
    Nope, just the console versions are. The PC versions are totally different games. Lots of fun adventuring to be had, and if stereotypical PC RPG first person perspective dungeons scare you, then there's nothing to be worried about, because it's all top down.

and the graphics still rock. as does the voice acting. and music.

Party management is pure bliss too. So much so that the removal of it from Neverwinter Nights was one of my major complaints about the game (well...other than the story, obviously ).

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dark Alliance is not a Baldur's Gate game. It is a Gauntlet clone. Baldur's Gate is a real RPG. Baldur's Gate 2 is the best RPG to come out in the last 15 years.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

I have it but never really played it. I like the 5 Disc folding case though, it was cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have played through this game twice. The first time I felt kind of cheesy since I had rerolled my character until I had really high stats. The second time I rolled an average character. I don't think there was really any difference. I did have a lot of fun multi-classing Imoen to Wizard, though. Her stats are perfect for it.

I still have the game sitting here next to me. I received BG2 as a gift when it was first released, but I have only played it for about half an hour. I would really love to get into it again, but I have been a little distracted for the past few years.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love in BG2 that I'd roll a Kensai, dual it to mage at level 9 (2nd most powerful character build IMO, behind Wizard Slayer dual-classed to thief), and yet still run in to tons of fights that I'd get my ass handed to me in (demilich, every dragon, mind flayers, etc.). This is with a full party: main char, Minsc, Keldorn, Viconia, Aerie, Imoen (love Viconia badmouthing Aerie in the middle of a dungeon ).
    The difficulty is just right for most players, and the fan-made mods for that game are stellar, too.

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have Baldur's Gate for the Apple IIe, that count

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Many people seem to enjoy BG1Tutu , which allows you to play through the first Baldur's Gate with the improved game engine of Baldur's Gate II. Apparently it breaks a few things, though.

If you enjoy Baldur's Gate you must play Planescape Torment. Or so I've heard.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)