Thread: OCD things you've done in RPGs

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

I did Absolutly everything you could find/glitch/do in FFVII there wasn't anything I didn't do in that game. By the time I was done I was Sick of Final Fantasy and I haven't given any real time to any of the new ones since then

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Everytime i start a new platform of PSO I make the same HUnewearl (white outfit, orange hair, eyepatch, tall and curvy) named DeeCee (or with a space after the name to get a certain ID). Have been doing this since DC ver1, and she's since existed on ver2, PC, GC, Xbox, and now BlueBurst. I've gotten her to 100 in ver1, 200 in ver2, 80 something on xbox, and 120ish so far on BlueBurst. Eventually i try and get her an s-rank twin as well and a sega character or system mag (on blueburst she's using an Opa Opa). I generally also end up making other HUnewearls on a similar theme, ie PeeCee, GeeCee, and my girlfriend has now made BeeBee for blueburst. I tried making some EksBee's and whatnot but couldn't decide on a variation I like, which sucks as Xbox PSO is rather nifty.

Other things I do in PSO are name my RAcasts after tanks (Sherman, Abrams, etc); my RAmarls after girls from things kenichi sonoda was involved with (Rally, Becky, Rabby); Almost all forces on a variant of Cryo-something (FOmar: Cryomancer, FOmarl: Cryomistress, FOnewearl: Cryomissy, FOnewm: Cryomister) and TRY to give them decent ice based weapons and skills but PSO isn't really a one-element game. I also never play HUmars for some reason, too standard "fighter" for my taste, something I developed in those years of being the theif on the D&D team I guess. HUcast and HUcaseals I don't play much either but sometimes I make one depending on how many character slots the particular platform gives. And the remaining classes I generally don't play much either, that's what teammates are for, heh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am like some of you guys. I MUST explore everything, for fear of missing that vital potion or weapon that may make my life easier... I therefore explore every door possible, often retracing my steps to go and explore some other path.

I went through a phase back in the Snes days after playing Zelda, to check the chests and cupboards in every house I entered in every game. This was just a phase though, and got boring after so long...

Some games I like to collect one of every item, if my inventory will hold it that is. FFVII is a prime example, and I now have at least one of every single item in the game in my inventory.

I'm not too anal about levelling up each character to LV 99 though. Try to do this in Super Hydlide on the Mega Drive ~ Go on, I dare you. It gets to a point in that game where it doesn't even alter your stats after a certain level.

I usually level up to a suitable level to be able to go about my duties without fear of dying easially, and that does it for me. That's the beauty of games like FFVII, because there are always ways of artificially upping your stats without having to endure the levelling up process, like wearing certain armor or using Materia

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Oh, I am also cursed when it comes to this. I WANT to explore every side path first, but 905 of the time I end up magically picking the direct route. Arg.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was so into Star Ocean 2 when I got the game, that I actually tried to get every ending in the game. Of course, there's over 100 of them, and you can only see 2 or 3 new ones on a given playthrough, but I TRIED. I went through the game like 15 times before I burned out, but seeing those new endings was a constant motivation.

I even tried to get all of the endings on video tape so that my accomplishments would last longer.

Of course, I barely scratched the surface of all the possible endings, but I'm okay with that now. It was still fun to play.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

One thing I hate, hate, hate, hate is when you have an extremely linear RPG (read: most of Square's games) and, in one of the towns, you have one piece or one thing you have to do in order to get a supremely-cool-ultra item or character...

...and you leave that town and move on, and in the next chapter or whatever, the town is destroyed and you lose the opportunity for the rest of the game to get that. You have to start all over if you want that character in your game. It practically forces you to play through the game with a cheat book or something like that.

I guess I'm "OCD" in that way, but IMO they should always provide a way to get the "ultimate" stuff later if you miss one opportunity. Maybe it is more difficult later, but still.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am VERY much with you as far as missing secret/increible items goes.

Another one I'm picking up now is wandering around outside a single town battling over and over JUST to buy the best equipment, even if it only adds a single point to one stat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

And on another related note: how about the "über-item-that-drops-randomly" crap like in Golden Sun - where some people have created secret "codes" or sequences of actions to make the items drop. That's pretty lame, too.

I like the idea of items that you can build, or forge, or things like that - as long as they don't pull dumb stunts and make the components impossible to find.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

In Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, I explored every possible thing there was immediately visible. Sadly, I still missed three ingested demon things.

I played Disgaea 90 hours. However, my friend played his about 200 hours and had a couple level 1000+ guys.

Oh, and I plan to do the Level 99 and all espers/magic trick in FFVI. Can't wait to pick up FFIV remake. As much as I hate the fans, I do like IV and VI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    One thing I hate, hate, hate, hate is when you have an extremely linear RPG (read: most of Square's games) and, in one of the towns, you have one piece or one thing you have to do in order to get a supremely-cool-ultra item or character...

...and you leave that town and move on, and in the next chapter or whatever, the town is destroyed and you lose the opportunity for the rest of the game to get that. You have to start all over if you want that character in your game. It practically forces you to play through the game with a cheat book or something like that.

I guess I'm "OCD" in that way, but IMO they should always provide a way to get the "ultimate" stuff later if you miss one opportunity. Maybe it is more difficult later, but still.
    I hate that tactic as well because it's obviously a ploy to sell more strategy guides. Especially if there's been no hint that you'll need to buy that particular item or equipment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    I hate that tactic as well because it's obviously a ploy to sell more strategy guides. Especially if there's been no hint that you'll need to buy that particular item or equipment.
    Even more than that, I believe it totally ruins the experience of the game. Who wants to know how every puzzle is solved and every plot twist develops before it ever happens? It's like jumping to the back of the book to see how it ends.

It's unfortunate, but in some of these games, those that don't want the baby-hand-holding of a strategy guide will have to settle for never seeing the coolest and most powerful parts of the game. Lame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But those secret, missable items are a bonus, not something that you have to get. Square puts those things in so that you might find something new the second or third time you play the game, not so you're forced to reset the game.

It's like you're saying Square is evil for putting in extra stuff when they could just as easily not include it at all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have some OCD issues with rpgs. Turns out I'm pretty much like everyone else though. Biggest thing is mindlessly grinding my characters to high levels and moving on only to realize I'm way too godly for the area I'm in. But oh well, its how I play and its how I have fun.
    Speed Kills but Strength Punishes