Thread: Why the current gen/PS2 will B supported for years to come

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why the current gen/PS2 will B supported for years to come

Why the current generation ala PS2 will be supported for far longer than what has been tradition in the transition between current gen to next gen:

The jump in graphical quality from this generation PS2/Xbox 1/GC to the next generation Xbox360/PS3 is faaaar less than what has been the norm in the past 20 years from generation to generation.

A prime example of this would be the transition from first generation 3-D specific consoles Saturn/PSone/N64 and the largest leap in the 3-D graphics quality in the form of PSX/PSone to Dreamcast/PS2 NOW THAT WAS A TRUE GRAPHICAL LEAP from what was then current generation PSone to the then next generation PS2 but now even the supposed least powerful of this generation (PS2) still manages to put out great graphics that will still look good well into the next generation and beyond unlike the choppy texture challenged PSone 3-D games and the fuzz/fog filled bland N64 3-D games that look terrible now when compared to current gen graphics.

It has gotten to the point now that many gamers both casual and even the hardcore or more avid gamers cant tell much difference between this generation and what the 360 has to offer graphically thus far other than "shiney" graphics with better looking grass

Sure fanboys can rant on about how the PS3 will be sooo much better but the fact is that the graphic leap from generation to generation is not as apparent and obvious as it used to be especially to the untrained eye of the casual gamer masses.

That being stated the current generation -PS2 at least- will last much longer than what is traditionally thought of from 5-7 years to 10 or more just look at how long the PSone was supported by EA and a few others not counting shovelware well over 9 years and the fact is that many game developers/publishers have stated that they are not going to prematurely abandon the incredibly large installed base of the current Playstation-over 90 MILLION worldwide realistically- like many of them did with the PSone in favor of the PS2.

The simple fact is a decent/good selling title on a system with an installed base the size of the PS2 will bring in revenues triple that of a best selling game for a new next generation system that MIGHT have 1 to 3 million installed base users within the first few years IF it is a highly succesful system.

Basically you will see the current generation supported for much longer than what has been tradition in the videogame industry so you will see many more multiplatform and especially MULTIGENERATION ports for many current gen and next gen consoles and most likely there will be a large number of continuing PS2/Xbox360/PS3 multiports for a long time to come even if the current generation-PS2- gets the "watered down" version it will still be supported well into the next generation of consoles.

A major NON-gaming factor is that the current PS2 can already play DVD movies( and 75% of all the other CD formats that the PS3 will support) wich no matter how much teck geeks drool over the specs of Blue-Ray or even HDdvd the current DVD movie format will be supported for a LONG time to come.

Even Sony has made that point clear in their intentions to continue strong support for the still very popular current gen console the Playstation 2 and many of the major developers/publishers still have MANY new games in development for the PS2 and even the Xbox 1 -wich Microsoft has dropped prematurely like a red headed step child in favor of the 360- and continue to announce many games that will be Multiports on both current gen(specifically PS2) AND Next generation machines.

Sure there was evidence of this back in the PSone/N64/ to PS2 transition days but too a faaar less extent when compared to what we see today.

Also you have to factor in the cost of developing for the next generation of machines wich many of the smaller game companies would and will not be able to do without the revenue of a successfull current generation game bringing in the $$$ to support such high development costs for the 360 and PS3 so while some of the more major and first tier franchises will be represented on the new systems there will still be many other popular franchises and especially "niche type" of games being released on a system that will soon have well over 100 MILLION units in gamers homes and that would be the PS2 in order to support the development and production of high-cost high-end games like Metal Gear solid 4 -Konami or Resident Evil 5-Capcom.

Many of these same factors apply to the Xbox 1 and even Gamecube to a lesser extent (not the DVD support for GC obviously) even though Nintendos Gamecube has been on life support for the last 6 months it still has continued support from both EA and Ubisoft with EA multiports at a 90% rate for the GC and even Ubisoft announced games like Splinter Cell 4 for GC.

Now as far as Xbox 1 goes there is surprisingly more support for it than what was originally thought would be only months ago with the impending release of the 360.
    The fact is that even though Microsoft would like nothing more than to make the original Xbox 1 vanish as quickly as possible with no first party support for the Xbox 1 there are a surprising number of third party developers/publishers still in full support of the system with many PS2/Xbox 1/Xbox360 multiports in the pipeline and even more than a few Xbox specific PC ports still in production and on the planned release dates.

So in conclusion dont trade in your PS2/Xbox1 or even Gamecube just yet in favor of a new shiney Xbox360 since these current generation systems still have a LOT of life left in them no matter what many fanboys or tech spec geeks rant about how these systems are "dead" in fact that statement couldnt be farther from the truth.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think MGS4 looked great and I would call it a good jump to get people to get the new systems. I can't wait for the ps3. Also where does the new Revolution controler play in this senerio?
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    I think MGS4 looked great and I would call it a good jump to get people to get the new systems. I can't wait for the ps3. Also where does the new Revolution controler play in this senerio?
    Hmm good question

To be honest I would dare try to evaluate the possiblities of the Revolutions surprise success and fortune ( wich I do think is most likely to happen ) or the impact that the Revos controller might or might not have on the industry.

I will say that IMO the Revolution and its forward thinking controller has the potential to bring Nintendo into a market all their own that most likely will take Microsoft and Sony by surprise.

As far as the affect is has on the GC will be very little since the ol cube has been limping along for some time now and will continue to do so with most of the third party support coming from EA until TW princess arrives as the Gamecubes swan song.

I think the PS2 specifically will still be fairly well supported by third party publishers even after the Revo is released just as I stated that it will well into the first couple years of PS3.

Sony recently stated that it expects to have sold between 120 to 150 MILLION PS2s worldwide within the next couple years and I dont see that as TOO far fetched and the fact is that the PS2 reached the 100 Million mark in slightly over half the time that the original took 5 years (PS2) when compared to 9(PSone) years and the fact that the PS2 is still selling boatloads both in the U.S. and Japan at a steady rate shows continued interest and support in what will within the next year or so be a last generation system the difference being an incredibly still popular and now profitable-for Sony- last gen system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

Not to say that your theory is wrong, I agree that the current systems (at least ps2 and xbox) will be supported for a long time. But to say that this generation did not see a leap really tells me that you have not sat down and experienced the games. True not everyone has the money to buy an HDTV, but it really does make a difference. If anyone has the pre rendered nfs videos on the 360, i still think its real people. Anyways you wont really be able to tell the difference by watching a video or playing a quick demo. To sit down and actually play the games provides, for me anyways, a brand new experience were I almost feel like I am part of the game. That is I have surround sound and usually use an hdtv.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slipdeath
    Not to say that your theory is wrong, I agree that the current systems (at least ps2 and xbox) will be supported for a long time. But to say that this generation did not see a leap really tells me that you have not sat down and experienced the games. True not everyone has the money to buy an HDTV, but it really does make a difference. If anyone has the pre rendered nfs videos on the 360, i still think its real people. Anyways you wont really be able to tell the difference by watching a video or playing a quick demo. To sit down and actually play the games provides, for me anyways, a brand new experience were I almost feel like I am part of the game. That is I have surround sound and usually use an hdtv.
    I see your point and it is a good one although I have played 3 Xbox360 games at a friends house and at the mall.

>That is I have surround sound and usually use an hdtv<

Right there is a point that many more hardcore gamers dont realize actually hurts their respective argument/debate about next gen consoles; The fact is that most casual gamers and familys cannot or WILL NOT go out and buy a new expensive HDtv and surround sound setup just to experience the (for now) slightly prettier graphics and sound that the Xbox360 is most asuredly capable of.

ON the other comment I do agree that High calibur games like the very impressive Metal Gear Solid 4 will help move the next generation along I just dont think nor believe that it will have an adoption rate near that when compared to when the PS2 was released in 2000 especially with "lower end" users or more casual gamers with the very expensive systems and outragous price of games for said systems-from $60 to $70 U.S. for next gen games is a steep dive that many casuals will most likely be very hesitant to take most certainly if they cannot tell a major difference in the actual games themselves( again not refering to all of us on this board) to validate such a large investment if they are still happy with their PS2s or Xbox 1s and they see new games still being released on a constant basis for thier current gen machine.

Athough that is where the Revolution could come into play in BIG WAY if Nintendo plays their cards right with speculative pricing of the Revo being bounced around the net and in print of around $200.00 U.S. at MOST to as low as $99 (I happen to think it will be released at an incredible consumer friendly $150) and a new an innovative way of playing games and fully backwards compatable with the GC with the possible right around release of TW princess coinciding with the Revos launch Nintendo could have a literal Trojan horse in the works that even they may be underestimating.

[/quote]

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Look at the textures, particle effects and motion blur in the Xbox 360 and try to tell me that it isn't a huge leap forward. Just because the models don't look infinitely better doesn't mean other aspects of the graphics haven't been greatly enhanced. The asphalt looks freakin' real in NFS: Most Wanted. You can see all the cracks in the concrete in PD Zero. All the flaws from where it was cast. It's unreal in its detail. Going back to Halo and pressing your face up against a wall is an ugly ass experience.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

on the other hand these "graphically superior" titles are sacrificing content, very few games get 40+ hours these days, i'd take a ps2/xbox game that looks like splinter cell or half-life 2 over a ps3/360 game if it gives me more value for my money, if your spending a average working man's daily wages on a game, it better not be easily beaten in a weekend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign
    Look at the textures, particle effects and motion blur in the Xbox 360 and try to tell me that it isn't a huge leap forward. Just because the models don't look infinitely better doesn't mean other aspects of the graphics haven't been greatly enhanced. The asphalt looks freakin' real in NFS: Most Wanted. You can see all the cracks in the concrete in PD Zero. All the flaws from where it was cast. It's unreal in its detail. Going back to Halo and pressing your face up against a wall is an ugly ass experience.
    Yes WE can tell the difference but most casual gamers simply CANNOT. ........and I have to add that IM not all that impressed I guess I expected a >Soul Calibur on DREAMCAST on launch day< type of experience and of course that wasnt the case.

Most of my friends have said many times yeah that looks good (about Madden on the 360) but they then go on to say things like "it still doenst look much better than PS2 " or even statements like " I cant tell much difference ummm I guess the uniforms look kool " things like that are common among -for lack of a better word- CASUALS wich unlike the many members of this prestigious board make up well over 80% of the market that both Sony and Microsoft are shooting for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanis178
    on the other hand these "graphically superior" titles are sacrificing content, very few games get 40+ hours these days, i'd take a ps2/xbox game that looks like splinter cell or half-life 2 over a ps3/360 game if it gives me more value for my money, if your spending a average working man's daily wages on a game, it better not be easily beaten in a weekend
    Agreed.. to a point anyway.

Most of those titles were rushed through production to meet the launch date of the 360 so much of the content that is included in the current gen games werent put into the 360 launch games or more specifically the EA sports titles and those few downfalls will most certainly be correced with next years releases since they will have more of a full development cycle of sorts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Sabre, you didnt by any chance post this in Gamespot forums. I saw a post just like it earlier.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a quick 2 cents. When I first got the PS2, I really didn't notice that much of a graphical jump from PS1 games. What REALLY bugged me was how much they cut BACK actually.

Final Fantasy 7, fairly early on in the PS1 life had TONS of full CG scenes. FFX had what, 4 minutes total in the entire game? And the quality, obviously, looked exactly the same for the CG parts.

For the regular playing parts, last gen ps1 vs. first gen ps2 graphics weren't much of a leap at all. The ps2 is very underpowered, and the ps3 is very overpowered. I honestly think we'll see a big jump.

This is coming from someone who has never played an xbox game, which obviously has better graphics than the ps2. If you want to argue that there won't be much of a jump from xbox to 360, I'd agree.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retsudo
    Sabre, you didnt by any chance post this in Gamespot forums. I saw a post just like it earlier.
    Yeah im MasonHarry22 at Gamespot feel free to message me there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

have you had a chance to play 360? I used to think it woul'dn't be much a big jump from ps2/xb - 360/ps3 but after a had a chance to sit down with 360 all beit very limited time, imo it's quite a leap.... I think ps3 and 360 are very similar in terms of power....

It's like the nvidia vs. Ati $500 video card battle. each one has it's own way of doing things... one may have fatter pipe lines while the other has a faster chip etc. etc. Just look at gamecube, it's considered the weakling by many of the current gen and when you look at the paper specs and see 6-12 million pps vs sony's what is it? 80 million? yet take a look at resident evil 4, metroid and zelda tp.

I haven't played ps3 but so far the only atvantage I can really see is the use of blue ray disk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default The PS2 will be supported and around for a long time

My hat is off to Sony, after having the system out for over five years, the hits are still coming out. Working at a game store has rekindled my love for the system, in which I am seeing why it is kicking ass still. Some big time games are still coming out for the system(Final Fantasy XII, Kingdom Hearts II to name two,). Looking at release dates, the funny thing is I think it will be supported longer than Xbox and Gamecube that were released a year after. Even this holiday, Soul Calibur III, Dragon Quest XIII, among several other exclusives made the system very likeable among all ages. The system refuses to die, like its little brother the Playstation.

I give the system two more years of having decent support.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist