Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dragon quest 8 talk

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spoiler question below.

I haven't finished with the good ending yet (that's today) but assuming it doesn't change much, what happens to marcello? After the battle, he throws the ring back, and then is never heard from again?

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope. Never again :/ .

And evidently (missed it myself) the Lady's Ring can be taken back to a guy in Farebury who trades it for a Wisdom Seed. After a bit, he and his wife leave, though. Not that you really missed much. So this would be the one thing in the game I've heard of being completely missable. Way lower than some RPGs...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Quote Originally Posted by poe

And evidently (missed it myself) the Lady's Ring can be taken back to a guy in Farebury who trades it for a Wisdom Seed. After a bit, he and his wife leave, though. Not that you really missed much. So this would be the one thing in the game I've heard of being completely missable. Way lower than some RPGs...
    I guess that makes me feel better. I kind of thought that my theory was farfetched!

I never could find the couple again, but my theory is they move from inn to inn within the different towns. I keep trying to find them and if anyone does locate them...please post it here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Well I'm up to fighting Dhoulmagus in the Dark Ruins. Got my ass handed to me ...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by le geek
    Well I'm up to fighting Dhoulmagus in the Dark Ruins. Got my ass handed to me ...

Cheers,
    Ben
    Thats a fairly rough fight. Think I actually had to go back and alchemy some new items/get some new weapons/armor before beating that one.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

You know I can't stress enough that anyone who is trying to figure out what the best way is to allocate skill points.

Hero = SWORD (to learn Falcon attack)
    Angelo = SWORD (to learn Falcon attack)

When these two have the falcon attack couple it with the Falcon Sword to attack 4 times!

Add a Mercury Bandanna with the Falcon Sword to make a Uber Falcon sword and you will be much more powerful than a person equipped with any other weapon.

Just feed both of them all of your strength seeds & agility seeds to make them quick and strong. Then equip them with titan belts to make them have even more attack points.

Make yourselves a couple of Timbrels of Tension and give one to Yangus and one to Jessica to have Hero and Angelo to tension of 50 in one round!

You will destroy any enemy that crosses your path!

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Hrm, I guess I've got a question about this game before I jump back into it.

I started this game a while back, right after I got my 360 and was too drawn in by that to give DQ8 any serious time. I made it to the first cave and had to run out because I was getting destroyed, right at the beginning of the game.

My question is this: Is the whole game like this? Will I beat this dungeon, finally get really started on the quest, and have to level up a bunch before every dungeon I get to? I mean, I guess that's alright but I just want to be prepared for it so I don't end up getting halfway through a dungeon before realizing that I'll never be able to finish it at my current level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist

I started this game a while back, right after I got my 360 and was too drawn in by that to give DQ8 any serious time. I made it to the first cave and had to run out because I was getting destroyed, right at the beginning of the game.

My question is this: Is the whole game like this? Will I beat this dungeon, finally get really started on the quest, and have to level up a bunch before every dungeon I get to? I mean, I guess that's alright but I just want to be prepared for it so I don't end up getting halfway through a dungeon before realizing that I'll never be able to finish it at my current level.
    I didn't have to level up until after I had beaten the game.
    Remember, the good thing about DQ is, if you die, you just lose half your gold. You keep all the XP and items you got fighting your way down the dungeon. So yes, you might have to go down the same dungeon a couple times, but I personally did not have to do the "walk back and forth for 2 hours" levelling up.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf

I didn't have to level up until after I had beaten the game.
    Remember, the good thing about DQ is, if you die, you just lose half your gold. You keep all the XP and items you got fighting your way down the dungeon. So yes, you might have to go down the same dungeon a couple times, but I personally did not have to do the "walk back and forth for 2 hours" levelling up.
    Ohhh... I had no idea. That's pretty cool then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Something else to keep in mind, if you go through the cave far enough to where you are almost dead then use escape you will do much better.

In that first cave I got myself ahead enough to be above the curve on the rest of the game. I just kept using escape to leave, then go back for more items and experience.

Eventually you will be to a point where you won't have to do that in the caves.

Have fun...to me this is the best game of the 128-bit revolution!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Quote Originally Posted by drwily008
    Have fun...to me this is the best game of the 128-bit revolution!
    I dunno about best game, but it's surely (IMO) the best RPG of this generation! If you like RPGs at all or you used to like SNES RPGs but didn't like modern ones, this is really a must play

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My fiance just started playing this game. She usuallt plays one of my consoles while I'm playing WoW. Is it me or is the music in DQ8 very repetitive and boring? Seems like I'm always hearing the same song when she plays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    Is it me or is the music in DQ8 very repetitive and boring?
    It's you. DQ8 has one of the best soundtracks of all time. Second only to SOTN in my opinion. As far as "repetitive", remember that this is a RPG and there is only one song for the frequent random battles...so you're going to hear that one alot.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

I agree. The music is awesome. The Tokyo Metropolitan Orchestra really sounds amazing.

Got the game a few weeks ago and am currently up to looking for Sir Leopold. Any ideas where I should look?

Truthfully, I now love Dragon Quest 8, and I really haven't been into RPGs until now. This has garnered interest in Chrono Trigger and others.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-El
    I agree. The music is awesome. The Tokyo Metropolitan Orchestra really sounds amazing.

Got the game a few weeks ago and am currently up to looking for Sir Leopold. Any ideas where I should look?

Truthfully, I now love Dragon Quest 8, and I really haven't been into RPGs until now. This has garnered interest in Chrono Trigger and others.
    Speaking of their work on the ost, I also love their renditions of past DQ music, mainly the battle theme from 4 and the phoenix's theme in 3.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been trying not to read online faqs for fear of spoilers so please answer me this. When does the dragon dungon open up, I have 105 mini metals and want to get the last 5 I need before I finish the game.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    Did you get frustrated at dying too much before getting to the boss in the waterfall? You really should give it a big try. It gets much better as you go. Especially when you return the crystal ball to Kalderasha and the plot starts to thicken.
    Yep that is the thing that made me quit as that boss in the waterfall i died to many times and gave up.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    I've been trying not to read online faqs for fear of spoilers so please answer me this. When does the dragon dungon open up, I have 105 mini metals and want to get the last 5 I need before I finish the game.
    I don't know if all the mini medals are in the first quest or not, but you have to beat the game to open up the dragon dungeon and get the second ending.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I beat the game a while back, including all forms of the King of Dragovians.

God some of those battles were freakin hard.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Rediscovering this game...trying to re-figure how to do my skills. Thinking I screwed up with early allocations (level 17-20 for the 4 heroes now). Though many faqs say barehanded is awesome for yangus. do you get more skill points at higher levels? I hate progressing through these games sometimes and ending up being sub-par like halfway through cause i didn't allocate something right, etc.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)