Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any update on stores taking PS3 pre-orders?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    If I found a box containing 10x sealed copies of Stadium Events for NES for only $10 each I would buy all of course and sell some on Ebay. I wouldnt just buy one copy and tell everyone else where they could get it for only $10. If you know you can buy a PS3 and sell it for the double on Ebay, why not? It isnt illegal and the buyers pay whatever they want. Just start the bid on $1 and see what happends. No one is forcing them to bid I wouldnt do it myself tho, too much hazzle and its a gamble. Its not sure you will get crazy prices on ebay like what happend with the xbox360.
    There's a big difference between a rare collectors item that hasn't been available at retail in years...and a product that is currently available (or will be soon in this case). Your comparing apples and oranges.

If someone wants to buy a PS3 and sell it right away on ebay, fine with me. If they are allowed to buy the only 10 a store might be getting in on launch day...that's bullshit. I hope stores realize that it's in their best interest to prevent this from happening. Anyway, I'm not really saying anything new here, most people on this board have expressed similar ideas since the 360 launch.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm
    Stores need to limit 1 console per address (on launch day). It won't prevent all the ebay assholes, but it'll make it harder for most people to do this.
    I so agree to that one.
    Same here. Anyone who would purposely buy massive numbers of a system to re-sell them at an inflated price is a monster...reading about the guy who made thousands on 360 sales made me want to vomit. When something like this is in such short supply, the product belongs in the hands of people who will appreciate it and use it. It doesn't belong in the hands of greed-mongerers.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, I know what you mean. It isnt illegal tho and it is a way to make some quick cash. There will always be consoles avalible in the stores. If someone wants to pay 2 or 3 times more for a console instead of waitng a week or 2 for a new batch, I wont stop them hehe. Its their money, I would never pay that much tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought the PS2 shortly after launch, and I still regret it. If I would've waited I could've got it at a cheaper price and a better selection of games. Today I no longer buy systems shortly after release. I wait at least a year ; that way you actually have a large library of GOOD games, and possibly a price drop on the system.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Instead of blaming ebayers for jacking up the prices, Isnt it the fault of the producers who fail to produce enough systems for the launch? I mean its a real easy problem to solve ... you want the biggest fanbase? you want to cut out the bad rep you'll get online for not having enough systems?

Make enough systems for the launch date!!!!

People on ebay are gonna charge only as much as we consumers let them ...

Personally , i plan on buying up 3 or 4 Ps3's and selling them off in order to pick up an established system with good games ... let the graphics whore's have their overpriced shotty product.... Id rather have a game thats past the test of time on a system that wont die 4 months later....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by noname11
    Instead of blaming ebayers for jacking up the prices, Isnt it the fault of the producers who fail to produce enough systems for the launch?
    I'm not sure what you're talking about. Nobody in this thread has blamed ebayers for jacking up prices. We're discussing how annoying it is that people could possibly pre-order an entire stores allotment of consoles on launch day. Where or how they sell them is moot.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by noname11
    Instead of blaming ebayers for jacking up the prices, Isnt it the fault of the producers who fail to produce enough systems for the launch?
    Actually it's more the fault of the consumers who are willing to pay above retail.

But that's neither here nor there for me - it's not like I'm going to pay above retail for something anyway. Heck, if I don't preorder at this point it's the cost that'll stop me, I'm certainly not going to pay *more* than that mere days afterwards...

No person should be allowed to preorder 10+ systems at one place - let them put their preorders in all over town of they want multiple systems. I'll be pissed if I can't preorder from TRU, say, because they only had 50 to sell and 5 people got 'em. It's bad customer relations for the TRU.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pacmanhat
    Stores need to limit 1 console per address (on launch day). It won't prevent all the ebay assholes, but it'll make it harder for most people to do this.
    I so agree to that one.
    Same here. Anyone who would purposely buy massive numbers of a system to re-sell them at an inflated price is a monster...reading about the guy who made thousands on 360 sales made me want to vomit. When something like this is in such short supply, the product belongs in the hands of people who will appreciate it and use it. It doesn't belong in the hands of greed-mongerers.
    So, by this logic Wal-Mart, TRU, EBGames, Gamestop, Amazon, Target, KMart et al. are ALL monsters. They all buy massive numbers of the system and then sell them at an inflated price to make thousands (millions).

It's business. If someone has the money, time and knowledge (yes, believe it or not, a lot of people do not know how to use eBay effectively) to do something like this, then why shouldn't they? How is it a moral issue? This isn't the cure for cancer or something in limited supply. This is a game system. Sure, it blows if you don't get yours, but that's how it goes. Go play something else for awhile, or pay the price if you can't wait. Besides, what do retailers care if they sell one hundred systems to one hundred people or one hundred to one person? They'll make the same (maybe more selling them all together, if you factor in the cost of putting through each credit card payment/number of hours it would take to make each individual sale) either way.

I just don't see how these people are "assholes" for seizing the oppurtunity to make a few bucks. I don't see how anyone is really "shortchanged" in this process. Seriously, waiting a month or two for a system ain't exactly horrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign
    So, by this logic Wal-Mart, TRU, EBGames, Gamestop, Amazon, Target, KMart et al. are ALL monsters. They all buy massive numbers of the system and then sell them at an inflated price to make thousands (millions).
    Actually retail stores make $0 from consoles. They buy a PS2 for $149.99, they sell it for $149.99. There is no profit. You wouldn't believe the amount of items that Walmart and Target loose money on just to get you in the door or buy games and accessories. Some stores are starting to take advantage of this and only sell consoles in "bundles" with items that they can make a profit on.

It's business.
    Yes, we can excuse anything in the name of business.

How is it a moral issue? This isn't the cure for cancer or something in limited supply. This is a game system.
    No this isn't as important as a cure for cancer, but since this is a video game forum and not a cancer forum, we can still treat this issue as "important" and keep our perspective.

Besides, what do retailers care if they sell one hundred systems to one hundred people or one hundred to one person? They'll make the same (maybe more selling them all together, if you factor in the cost of putting through each credit card payment/number of hours it would take to make each individual sale) either way.
    It's easy to imagine a big faceless corporation "not caring" who buys systems from their chain...but...in reality, store managers do care. In fact, keeping their customers happy is the number 1 thing going through a managers mind. That and sales. Fortunately for us, the two go hand in hand.

I just don't see how these people are "assholes" for seizing the oppurtunity to make a few bucks. I don't see how anyone is really "shortchanged" in this process. Seriously, waiting a month or two for a system ain't exactly horrible.
    "seizing the opportunity"? I call it FUCKING A STRANGER IN THE ASS (in Walter Sobchak's voice).

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Points taken, but I still don't see why it's a big deal. Yes, this is a videogame forum. Yes, I understand that people get pissed at the notion of someone buying 50 systems and unloading them with little effort on eBay/the internet. Before too long, there will be enough for everyone. If you want one bad enough prior to that, then go and camp for one.

It's an annoyance, but not nearly as bad or angering as some apparently think it is.

Back on topic, this time around for the PS3 I'm definately gonna preorder one from EBGames.com or Gamestop.com (maybe both, if possible), even with the shitty bundles. I got a 360 three weeks after launch (paying $100+ over retail, and also getting a core), and ended up with most of the shit in those bundles. Might as well go all out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't wait to preorder a ps3

even if i don't preorder I want to buy one on launch day it's a system I am really excited for.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From XB 360 experience this year, I really feel Sony should just charge the cost of the system and maybe a little markup for themselves/retailers just for the holiday season, like $700, and why not? Look at how much people are willing to pay on eBay, if the stores start to get backed up with system because of price, they can start lowering the price of console to more mass market level like $400 - $500. This will greatly reduce people buying and reselling on eBay.

I'm skeptical that Sony can get PS3 out to US by holiday 2006 with more than 2 million units ready, I'm pretty sure that this year they won't even be able to meet demand in Japan, if they do indeed get PS3 out by Xmas, they might as well put out a high MSRP.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by vincewy
    From XB 360 experience this year, I really feel Sony should just charge the cost of the system and maybe a little markup for themselves/retailers just for the holiday season, like $700, and why not? Look at how much people are willing to pay on eBay
    It doesn't work that way. If they bump up the price they lose customers - maybe not so many that they still won't sell out their initial shipment, but once the rest of their production hits nobody else is going to be buying at that price.

And you can't lower the price right away in order to stimulate sales, because then you've just pissed off your hard core audience. Finding the perfect price for it to sit at for a year really is incredibly important, for anybody in any market really.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I so agree to that one.

It's business. If someone has the money, time and knowledge (yes, believe it or not, a lot of people do not know how to use eBay effectively) to do something like this, then why shouldn't they? How is it a moral issue? This isn't the cure for cancer or something in limited supply. This is a game system. Sure, it blows if you don't get yours, but that's how it goes. Go play something else for awhile, or pay the price if you can't wait. Besides, what do retailers care if they sell one hundred systems to one hundred people or one hundred to one person? They'll make the same (maybe more selling them all together, if you factor in the cost of putting through each credit card payment/number of hours it would take to make each individual sale) either way.

I agree. I will also say that I too will buy as many consoles as I can and resell them on ebay. It's a quick way to make money and get a potential free system out of it.
    Viva la raza, y los putos que quieran pedo, que se metan el pinche dedo.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Any updates on when GameStop will start pre-ordering the PS3?
    Any updates on when GameStop/EB will start pre-ordering the PS3?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I so agree to that one.

You're missing a big difference: Major retailers sell the systems for the MSRP - something that the people I called 'monsters' don't do. It's a moral issue because it keeps systems out of the hands of people who actually want to USE them. Furthermore, it's price gouging - a legal practice outside of civil emergencies, but an act that is widely regarded as reprehensible in virtually any circumstance. If a company were to do something like this, it would violate all sorts of sections in the Sherman Antitrust Act, but when an individual does it, it somehow becomes acceptable. This makes no sense to me.

Are they seizing the opportunity and exercising the rights that come with capitalism? Oh yes. Are they taking advantage of desperate, stupid individuals with too much money and not enough patience? Oh hell yes. Does this make it any more acceptable? Absolutely not. Just because something is legal and possible doesn't make it right.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, any new info about this? I need to order both a PS3 and Revolution from somebody, and I need to be in the top 5 people at that store to ensure a non hassle Thanksgiving 2006.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know that Toys 'r' Us are taking them now. I'm pretty sure they're the only ones at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I went to an EBGames and they were taking preorders for the PS3, It wasn't a small town EB though, it was an EB that had a 360, PS2, and Gamecube for customers to play, And it wasn't in a mall.

This was 10 days ago - March 31st 2006.

Edit: Yay, My 1,000th post on DP!

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're missing a big difference: Major retailers sell the systems for the MSRP - something that the people I called 'monsters' don't do. It's a moral issue because it keeps systems out of the hands of people who actually want to USE them. Furthermore, it's price gouging - a legal practice outside of civil emergencies, but an act that is widely regarded as reprehensible in virtually any circumstance. If a company were to do something like this, it would violate all sorts of sections in the Sherman Antitrust Act, but when an individual does it, it somehow becomes acceptable. This makes no sense to me.

Are they seizing the opportunity and exercising the rights that come with capitalism? Oh yes. Are they taking advantage of desperate, stupid individuals with too much money and not enough patience? Oh hell yes. Does this make it any more acceptable? Absolutely not. Just because something is legal and possible doesn't make it right.
    So you're saying that forcing $700-$1100 bundles on every buyer that walks in the store is selling at MSRP and not cashing on on gamers with a ton of money?
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5