Thread: I thought that SNES emulation on the PSP sucked?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I thought that SNES emulation on the PSP sucked?

With the help of JibbaJabba, I recently got a PSP, and got it up and running with various emulators. I thought I remember people saying that the SNES emulation was pretty bad.

I've been using snes9xTYL-0.2c emulator, and it seems to be pretty damn good. You have to run the cpu at 333mhz, and you have to do 1 or 2 frameskips, but other than that, and the fact that the soundtracks aren't reproduced entirely correctly, I would say it's damn good, all things considered.

I was playing Castlevania 4 on it, and it seemed to be working just fine. It's not perfect by any means, but it's definitely very playable. I thought I remember people saying that SNES emulation on the PSP still isn't a very viable option yet? I think the take was that some SNES games could run pretty good, but the vast majority were totally unplayable, and that trying to play SNES games on the PSP was pretty much a waste of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I think people want to play them with out the frameskip though. I think the biggest problems are the RPG's or anything with the mode 7 feature, they all seem to run like crap.

True, alot of the platformers run just fine but the SNES emu is still alittle bit slow. I'm sure future versions will run better.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    I think people want to play them with out the frameskip though. I think the biggest problems are the RPG's or anything with the mode 7 feature, they all seem to run like crap.

True, alot of the platformers run just fine but the SNES emu is still alittle bit slow. I'm sure future versions will run better.

I saw a list on a website awhile back, where it had a list of all the SNES roms, and which ones ran good on the PSP, and which ones sucked. It had like a letter grade next to the rom, and maybe a sentence on why the game sucks or whatever. It might have also had suggestions on what to set the frameskip to. Anyways, for the life of me, I can't find that damn list again. I've been searching all over the place, and I can't find that damn list. I want to see which games they had rated as almost perfect, and which ones they said were totally unplayable.

If anybody has seen that list, and knows what I'm talking about, I would love to see that list again, so please provide a link or post that list here.

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Here's the list, or atleast something like what you were talking about. I found it by accident while looking through some boards.

http://forums.qj.net/showthread.php?t=14568

Also check out http://www.fanjita.org/psp.html for information about 2.0 eboots and their compatability.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweet. That is the list. Thanks bro.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I was under the impression that the psp ran pretty much everything up to and including 16 bit perfectly as of months ago. Glad I didn't pick one up over the holidays, I'll still wait for a pricedrop (a big one)
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It runs sega genesis games pretty good, but many SNES games still need some speed.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am glad that I didn't pick up on yet because I thought the super nes emulation was really good as well. but hopefully soon. though still kind of interests me.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't like snes psp emulation at all. You can't use the analogue, and if you DO bump the analogue, the frame rate changes. Even at the correct rate, I could plainly see lag compared to an actual snes, especially on certain SHMUPS.
    The genesis emulator is pretty damned spot on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kamino
    I didn't like snes psp emulation at all. You can't use the analogue, and if you DO bump the analogue, the frame rate changes.
    Change it so the analog doesn't control the framerate. That's one of the first things you should do.

Personally, I think it runs a lot of the SNES games fine. Stuff like Super Punchout is great for example. But try running other stuff... like Super Mario Kart, and it's super slow city. Same old story basically.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence

Yup so true in time most will be fine.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Emulators on the PSP suck. Get a GP2X instead.