Thread: Can you play Saturn games with GameTap?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Can you play Saturn games with GameTap?

Looking at the GameTap commercial, I thought I saw some Saturn games in there. Can you play Saturn games with GameTap? If so, they must have a Saturn emulator working right? Maybe somebody can hack into GameTaps code and uncover the Saturn emulator.

I think I also saw a Dreamcast game in the commercial, so I'm guessing that GameTap would have a very good Dreamcast emulator as well. Maybe that can be hacked as well and leaked onto the internet.

I would love to play Saturn and Dreamcast games on my laptop while on business trips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I cut/pasted your topic into Google and got this:

The different games systems you can play on GameTap include: the Atari 2600, Windows, DOS, Sega Master System, Sega 32X, Arcade, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Game Gear, Sega Genesis, and Intellivision.

At least at this point, one aspect that was noticeably absent from GameTap's lineup were Nintendo titles. Currently, GameTap doesn't include any selections from the NES or SNES era (Editor's Note: Word on the street says we can look forward to Saturn games in the near future.) Current-gen and other selections from the 32 and 128-bit era also have limited presence. For instance, GameTap's Dreamcast current titles consist of only Hydro Thunder and Mr. Driller. Yeah, that's not exactly Shenmue.

http://www.got-next.com/features_read.php?id=257

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Can you play Saturn games with GameTap?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I would love to play Saturn and Dreamcast games on my laptop while on business trips.
    Just curious, but what's wrong with SSF? The new beta just came out less than 2 weeks ago and works awesomely with damn near everything (well, almost), especially with the totally rewritten sound core.

If you've got a P4 with a little bit of horsepower (2.8ghz+), you just can't beat it.

There's some alternatives to it, but nothing is nearly as compatible/complete. GiriGiri is faster, but it's a hacked up release of an incomplete official Saturn emulator only ment to work with a few games (let's pretend that UltraHLE was an official Nintendo product and then compare the two!). Yaubse and Saturnin are making some progress, but it's nowhere near as good as Satourne.

Speaking of Dreamcast games, I'd be extremely interested in hearing how Toy Commander runs.

You don't have to be online to play your games, do you? Don't you just have to be online to steam the games to your hard drive?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx
    Just curious, but what's wrong with SSF? The new beta just came out less than 2 weeks ago and works awesomely with damn near everything (well, almost), especially with the totally rewritten sound core.
    whats SSF?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

whats SSF?
    The best Saturn emulator available.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flack

The different games systems you can play on GameTap include: the Atari 2600, Windows, DOS, Sega Master System, Sega 32X, Arcade, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Game Gear, Sega Genesis, and Intellivision.

At least at this point, one aspect that was noticeably absent from GameTap's lineup were Nintendo titles. Currently, GameTap doesn't include any selections from the NES or SNES era (Editor's Note: Word on the street says we can look forward to Saturn games in the near future.) Current-gen and other selections from the 32 and 128-bit era also have limited presence. For instance, GameTap's Dreamcast current titles consist of only Hydro Thunder and Mr. Driller. Yeah, that's not exactly Shenmue.

It does make sense though that there are no NES and SNES games due to the Revolution to be able to play those games.

It would be unwanted competition for Nintendo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kuros

It does make sense though that there are no NES and SNES games due to the Revolution to be able to play those games.

It would be unwanted competition for Nintendo.
    If the REv does really bad I could see Nintendo going with a service like Gametap.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah have you noticed that Nintendo doesn't have any "system in a joystick" setups? They value their past catalog much more than that.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    If the REv does really bad I could see Nintendo going with a service like Gametap.
    That is not going to happen. Nintendo only lost money on a videogame system once. That was the VB. The Revolution will be their best system ever released by these guys of any era. The DS and the Revolution is best combo that they ever offered.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by attilathehun
    That is not going to happen. Nintendo only lost money on a videogame system once. That was the VB. The Revolution will be their best system ever released by these guys of any era. The DS and the Revolution is best combo that they ever offered.
    *Cough* fanboy *Cough*
    Retro Rundown Podcast
    RetroRundown.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Saturn games that are shown on the Gametap commercials are all pre-existing PC ports.

Strawberry (Level 2) Super Mario Fan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rejinx
    *Cough* fanboy *Cough*
    Fanboy, is a little harsh. No need to bring that in here. However, I think the SNES-Gameboy combo was amazing. The DS is blazing trails in Japan, and is selling steady in the US. Now if Nintendo applies the new srategey they've adopted to the Revolution, then I'm sure they will surpass the lackluster life of the Gamecube.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*Cough* fanboy *Cough*
    I hate to break the news to you, but I have never owned a Nintendo product. Shows what you know which is nothing. I'm just stating the facts, so just deal with it ok?

Anyways you don't have to hope that the rev craps out to be able play nintendo games on your pc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I hate to break it to all of you but the topic of this thread is "can you play saturn games on gametap" so shaddup with the Nintendo crap.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am sorry attilathehun, was have a bad day. Didn't mean to sould mean. I just think the Rev sounds too gimmik like. I don't like the DS ether, I personaly like simple controllers. I can't stand the 64 or Xbox controls. this has nothing to do with there games (love alot of 64 games), just like the keep controllors simple.
    Retro Rundown Podcast
    RetroRundown.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For instance, GameTap's Dreamcast current titles consist of only Hydro Thunder and Mr. Driller.
    Both of those have PC ports, oddly enough.

I was wondering whether some of the Genesis games they have available were derived from Sega's official PC ports or if they're the actual ROMs being emulated, but that's probably a pretty fine distinction.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    I was wondering whether some of the Genesis games they have available were derived from Sega's official PC ports or if they're the actual ROMs being emulated, but that's probably a pretty fine distinction.
    Most (if not all) PC releases of the genesis games were emulated in a custom build of Kega, so I'd be hesisitant to call them ports at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

*Cough* fanboy *Cough*
    Naa, just someone that doesn't understand the story of the Virtual Boy. And the proof...

*Cough* fanboy *Cough*
    I hate to break the news to you, but I have never owned a Nintendo product. Shows what you know which is nothing. I'm just stating the facts, so just deal with it ok?

Anyways you don't have to hope that the rev craps out to be able play nintendo games on your pc.
    Also doesn't seem to understand the true point of emulation development.

I hate to break it to all of you but the topic of this thread is "can you play saturn games on gametap" so shaddup with the Nintendo crap.
    ...yes sir.

Concerning Sega Saturn on GameTap I'm with the rest of the thread, there were quite a few PC versions of Sega Saturn titles and that's what appears to be shown in the GameTap commercials. The only way to check this I can think of right now (it's been a long night) is if they have MANX TT SuperBike since the opening audio clip "MANX TT SuperBike!" is by a different VO in the Saturn and PC versions.