Thread: DOA 4

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AKay724

i got it and played it for a couple of hours this game is a visual delight!
    It also has tons of options. Im a newbie to the DOA world but man its a really good game.
    Im usually on around 6-7pm so hit me up anyone that wants to play
    AKay724-gamertag

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I think I'm done with this game. I beat everyones story mode and after going through (or trying to go through) Hitomi's Time Attack I think I'm just going to shelve the game and be thankful that I used a Best Buy gift Cert on it.

I understand the need to make a game challenging, but I have NO IDEA why things happen in this game, and the game makes absolutely no effort to explain anything.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    I understand the need to make a game challenging, but I have NO IDEA why things happen in this game, and the game makes absolutely no effort to explain anything.
    Mind sharing what you don't understand? We might be able to help you figure it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Whats most confusing to me is the counter system. I suppose if the game weren't so blazing fast I wouldn't have such a problem, but it makes it nearly impossible to figure out whats going on.

Anyways, counters. I get what directions and X make a counter work against certain attacks. That's not a big deal, and the sparring segment illustrates it rather well.

But there are so many attacks that temporarialy stun your character and it seems to happen at random. Even further, I know I can't reverse out of a juggle. I get that when I'm in the air I'm beat and there's nothing I can do.

But for example, lets take Christie and her super quick jabs. When I was playing through story mode with her I had a lot of trouble not getting reversed to hell and back by just about everyone. I know the bigger grapple characters are more prone to reversals, but Bayman would let me hit him once and then chuck me across the level on EVERY offensive I took.

Not once have I ever been able to interrupt an opponents combo with a reversal. At least not knowingly. I know it can be done and can be done often because it was the large reason why I lost all the matches I did in story mode, but I'll be damned if i can figure out how to un-stun myself long enough to pull off a counter.

Not only that, but the games level of difficulty is just all over the place. I blow through 6 matches in time attack and get to Nicole and she rapes the shit out of me mercilessly, mostly because I CAN'T go on the offensive because she's one of those big grapple characters, and secondly because she's too fast to really know when or where to counter. Playing defense has never worked for me and I'm not even sure it can really be done. I beat her once but it took me a good 10 minutes and it wasn't 10 minutes of fun.

The controller isn't helping either. It's not really the controllers fault but how I'm accustomed to holding it. All too often I'll jump with Kasumi and fart out a bunch of flower petals and then take a boot to the face instead of running towards the opponent. I know an arcade stick would definitely help remedy this.

But all in all, I just don't understand the game, so I'll take the internet high road and say it's gay! (Not really, but I am bitter)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

I agree that there are problems with the controller, and it does take a lot of work to get the counter system down (DOA4 is not an entry level game). I'm still having trouble with the reversal but it is something you have to work on.

If you want, i'd be happy to spar with you and try to get you better aquainted with the system. Just add njiska and msg me.

As for the controooler you may want to try using the analog stick. I myself will buy an arcade stick.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Wow. I just unlocked Helena's ending and all i can say is, wow. As a long time DOA fan i can honestly say that there is way there could've been a better ending then that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    (DOA4 is not an entry level game
    I tried it today and I would most ceraintly agree. I have played the last few of them and I had trouble. The A.I. is very good in the game, likely the best i've seen in a fighting game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree DoA4 is not an entry level game, there aren't any more fighting games that are like that anymore.

This one at least has some more depth compared to previous iterations. But in the grand scale of things I still feel as if it's lacking compared to the depth in other 3D fighters(Mainly Virtua Fighter 4 EVO and Tekken 5)...

I hope the competitive community for this game picks up... there hasn't been a large tournament for DoA ever... 30 people don't count(which was the largest for DoA ever).

I do hope it is included in the World Fighting Game Championships, Evolution 2006 later this year. It's up to the people.

If anyone is looking for some reference sites for DoA gameplay, you can check out www.doacentral.com and the newly opened www.doalive.com ...

doalive.com focuses more on the hardcore competitive aspect of the game while DoA Central caters to all things DoA.
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Well, i went back to it and I stand by everything I said in this blog post:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/weblog_entry.php?e=2451

I can't stand this game. Took me 10 minutes to win one round against Alpha-152 in Time Attack with Kasumi, and that didn't even count towards beating time attack with everyone to get Tengu because it was on one win per character.

Fuck it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have it, but i suck at it, anyone have any sites with with moves on it?
    <a href="http://profile.mygamercard.net/neozen666">

</a>

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMan
    I agree DoA4 is not an entry level game, there aren't any more fighting games that are like that anymore.

This one at least has some more depth compared to previous iterations. But in the grand scale of things I still feel as if it's lacking compared to the depth in other 3D fighters(Mainly Virtua Fighter 4 EVO and Tekken 5)...

I hope the competitive community for this game picks up... there hasn't been a large tournament for DoA ever... 30 people don't count(which was the largest for DoA ever).

I do hope it is included in the World Fighting Game Championships, Evolution 2006 later this year. It's up to the people.

If anyone is looking for some reference sites for DoA gameplay, you can check out www.doacentral.com and the newly opened www.doalive.com ...

doalive.com focuses more on the hardcore competitive aspect of the game while DoA Central caters to all things DoA.
    Thank you very much, for that second link. Very interesting.

As for saying there's never been a large tourny for DOA that's a little short sighed. There has never been a large tourny for it here, but there have been large tournaments for it in Japan where the game is considerably more popular. Not EVO big, but still big.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really consider tournaments in Japan for this series to be large either. The qualifiers for their Japanese National tournament only had around 30 people or so?

What keeps it from being big, I mean competitive big, in Japan, is the lack of an arcade release.

SC III has gotten tons of complaints in Japan for it not being on arcades, the fans have spoken and they will see an arcade release this year. Let's hope they can complain enough so that DoA gets the same service.
    - MarkMan

Idle

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMan
    I don't really consider tournaments in Japan for this series to be large either. The qualifiers for their Japanese National tournament only had around 30 people or so?

What keeps it from being big, I mean competitive big, in Japan, is the lack of an arcade release.

SC III has gotten tons of complaints in Japan for it not being on arcades, the fans have spoken and they will see an arcade release this year. Let's hope they can complain enough so that DoA gets the same service.
    I would doubt it. Team Ninja hasn't really dabbled in the arcades since DOA2 and despite the fact that an Arcade version of this game would be awsome, i can't see it happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Me neither.

Does anyone know if the guide for DoA4 is out yet? It's written by Bryan Dawson aka DrDogg... whos a pretty well known DoA player in the community.

I'm curious to check it out.
    - MarkMan

Idle

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

1/10 is the estimated date from what i've heard.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1/18 according to the EB computers. I checked today and then sighed a man's sigh.

Amazon says the 24th. This is the first of me learning it's a Prima guide. I vaguely remember reading something about how there will be a limited edition of this like with Soul Calibur III? Bah, maybe that's why I thought Brady was doing it.
    First Prima guide I'll buy since Shadow...
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's something I don't understand about this game, the latency on-line. I'll be sitting there, watching a perfectly smooth match after match, nothing wrong, then I'm up. Stupid character select is sliding all over the place and when I get into a match, slow motion! Sometime's it'll be just fine. I don't seem to have any connection problems with my other live games or arcade games but this one seems way too random. Oh well, maybe I'll try it some time again in the future, I think about 15 - 20 losses in a row is enough for today.