Thread: DS Music Playback Is Incredible!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DS Music Playback Is Incredible!

Does anyone have a modded DS and tried the latest Moonshell? I tested it tonight (v0.7) and it is absolutely incredible. MP3 and OGG playback is flawless. The DS really does make for an awesome music playback device. I have yet to test the other aspects of moonshell (like pic viewing and video playback) but I will very shortly.

FOr those that do not know, moonshell is an operating system for the DS, with built in music playback, video playback, and picture and text viewing...among other things. This software really makes the DS something so much more than a great game system. I am loving this!

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

any links for info, this sounds cool
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, yeah, but the site is in Japanese:

http://mdxonline.dyndns.org/archives..._ver_0_19.html

I was trying to do a search to find a link for some screenshots so you can get an idea of what it looks like. Basically the bottom (touchscreen) has some windows that can be moved with the stylus, while the top screen is a file browser that sort of looks like DOS. Select a song, and a player opens in the bottom screen that has all of the controls you would expect like FF, random, and so on...all controlled with the stylus. It really is just too cool. If you have a DS, I recommend flash modding it and a flash cart that allows NDS files to be loaded...such as the Supercard (which is what I use)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

Sounds awesome!

I'll try to get this going and if I do I'll post pics in my blog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really want to test this, is there a way of flash modding it over wifi or something?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AKay724

im interested in this as well.
    I was going to buy another DS(used for 100) cause my fiance is addicted to mario and luigi!
    So i would definately try this on mine.
    AKay

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds really cool... Dunno if I should take the risk of doing the firmware though... Also, don't have the money for it atm :/
    This is the greatest gif ever NO!!!!!!!! THE SITE TOOK IT OFF :: :: :: :: :: ::
    Another good one! XD
    A weird flash

Thx to Harima Kenji from Wannabefansubs.net for the Avatar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

Looking at the readme file for Moonshell, I gather that a permanent firmware flash is not needed if you have other ways of booting homebrew software (like passme or wifime). I've ran other homebrew stuff on my DS in the past (via wifi and a flash cart) and never had to touch the firmware. I assume this works the same way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamegirl79
    Looking at the readme file for Moonshell, I gather that a permanent firmware flash is not needed if you have other ways of booting homebrew software (like passme or wifime). I've ran other homebrew stuff on my DS in the past (via wifi and a flash cart) and never had to touch the firmware. I assume this works the same way.
    There have been reports on the SCDev site that people are having problems running the latest Moonshell with non-flashed DS units. I recommend Flashme anyway, since it has a failsafe. In case a bricker is attached to some homebrew you run, you can recover the DS easily when it is flashed. If you run a bricker on a non-flashed (aka: vanilla) unit, it is toast. Flashme is like having virus protection on your DS...along with being able to run homebrew without stupid passme devices sticking out of the top of the machine. There really is no reason NOT to flash your DS.

Here's a quick rundown on how flashme works for those that do not know, plus a little video. I am no "mod-master" by any means (can't even solder!) and I have flashed over a dozen DS units:

http://www.dspassme.com/FlashMe.shtml

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ...

Thanks for the link. You wouldn't happen to have a vid of the paper clip stuff would you? That's what freaks me out the most.

What exactly are you doing to sl1? Is it destroyed? Does this void the warranty?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

Quote Originally Posted by zektor
    There have been reports on the SCDev site that people are having problems running the latest Moonshell with non-flashed DS units.
    After spending about 3 hours with this tonight I found that to be true.

The latest version would not boot on my non-flashed DS, so I tried an older version (I think it was 0.5) and it worked fine. I was very impressed with the sound quality! I took a couple pics that I'll post in the next day or so in case anyone is interested.

I will probably also go ahead and flash my DS soon. The wifi method I'm using now works, but it can be a bit tedious...

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there any point to flashing your DS if you don't own a FlashCart?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: ...

Quote Originally Posted by arrrggghhh
    Thanks for the link. You wouldn't happen to have a vid of the paper clip stuff would you? That's what freaks me out the most.

What exactly are you doing to sl1? Is it destroyed? Does this void the warranty?
    You are shorting it. Basically making two pins connect together to make a contact. You are not destroying it at all. And yes, if Nintendo finds you flashed it, it will void the warranty. But, you can always unflash it as well...if you need to send it back to Nintendo for any reason.

I use a small Stanley flathead screwdriver that came with a technician set I purchased a long time ago. Just put it in the hole (that sounds kinky) and touch SL1. Numbers count till it goes to 100%, says done....thats it. It is bar none the easiest mod you can perform.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    Not really. You actually need a flash cart (or a SD to GBA/CF to GBA cart) to perform the flash in the first place anyway. So, this info is really for the folks who buy a flash cart or adapter as stated. But, it is really worth it. I play movies, music, SMS, GG, GB, GBC, NES and SNES on the DS....as well as other oddities. It really is a neat homebrew system. Not as crazy as PSP homebrew (yet) but still, for some reason, I like emulating on this system better.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: ...

You are shorting it. Basically making two pins connect together to make a contact. You are not destroying it at all. And yes, if Nintendo finds you flashed it, it will void the warranty. But, you can always unflash it as well...if you need to send it back to Nintendo for any reason.
    Thanks. I flashed it last week, and it was incredibly easy for anyone considering doing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Keep me posted because I'm interested in doing this to my DS, or possibly a used one.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not really. You actually need a flash cart (or a SD to GBA/CF to GBA cart) to perform the flash in the first place anyway. So, this info is really for the folks who buy a flash cart or adapter as stated. But, it is really worth it. I play movies, music, SMS, GG, GB, GBC, NES and SNES on the DS....as well as other oddities. It really is a neat homebrew system. Not as crazy as PSP homebrew (yet) but still, for some reason, I like emulating on this system better.
    I didn't think you needed a flashcart for WiFiMe. But, in any case, i don't really think it's worth it at this time to spend $250 for a flash cart just to play music and NES games. I heard that the NES and SNES emulation isn't really up to snuff anyway. Is that true? Those two would be about the only systems mentioned that I'd be interested in emulating. By the way, Zektor, I'm not trying to attack you at all by asking you all this. It's just that the DS is currently my favorite system by far, and I'm trying to learn the extents of what I can do with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't think you needed a flashcart for WiFiMe. But, in any case, i don't really think it's worth it at this time to spend $250 for a flash cart just to play music and NES games. I heard that the NES and SNES emulation isn't really up to snuff anyway. Is that true? Those two would be about the only systems mentioned that I'd be interested in emulating. By the way, Zektor, I'm not trying to attack you at all by asking you all this. It's just that the DS is currently my favorite system by far, and I'm trying to learn the extents of what I can do with it.
    I am not offended man, knowledge is power

Yes, you are right, you can flash with Wifime without a flash cart, but ONLY if you have an older model DS, with the older firmware. I am assuming that many people are grabbing new DS units lately, and in that case Wifime will not work.

As for flash cart pricing, $250 would be outragious. But, $59.99 is what I would consider a much better deal Go to www.jandaman.com and look up the "Supercard SD". This is what I use for everything I do. Works with the DS and flashme flawlessly. So, in terms of price, this is what you would need, and how much it would be to flash a new DS unit:

NDS - $129.99
    Supercard SD - $59.99
    Passme2 (or equivalent) - $19.99

That of course is not including shipping, but you are looking at a little over $200 to have everything you would need for homebrewing (and other things).

NES emulation is just as good as PocketNES (GBA) and you can of course run both of these on the Supercard. Actually, the Supercard has emus built right in, so if you copy a .nes file to the SD and pop it in, you are off and playing. I would say NES emulation is about perfect. I have not found any incompatibilities, and everything runs at 100% speed and sound.

The SNES emulator is a hit and miss, but the games that do run run really good. It will get better I am sure.

Like I said earlier, if you are looking for the perfect emulation machine in the DS, look elsewhere. The emu scene for the system is slow at best, with trickles of emulation goodness coming around here and there. But, if you want to have a system that is on the verge of becoming an awesome homebrew device, and like testing new apps and software, this is for you.

I like it because there is alot happening out there for the DS, and when new emus/apps/homebrew hit the net, I am all set to give em a try. Until then, the Supercard can still play GBA and NDS "other" stuff. Not condoning piracy, since I buy games all the time, but it is neat to be able to try stuff out nonetheless.