Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US/JP CARTRIDGE Region Switch For JVC X'Eye

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default US/JP CARTRIDGE Region Switch For JVC X'Eye

EDIT: The procedure has been figured out, you can find my full walkthough on how to install the US/JPN cartridge slot region switch in a JVC X'Eye through the link below...

http://www.classicplastic.net/dvgi/f...EYEimport.html

Below is the thread that lead to this.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Many of us have seen the Genesis mod info here...

http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/gen2import.htm

As one can see there are directions for a cartridge US/JP switch for the Wondermega 1. However I haven't seen a similar tutorial for the JVC X'Eye, which is based off the Wondermega 2 architecture. I've heard of US/JP cartridge switches on JVC X'Eyes but have been unable to find any information on how to perform the mod. I'm guessing it'll be similar to the Wondermega 1 mod, so I guess my real question is what jumper am I looking for?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 10-23-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

In response to the two PM's I've gotten, I am NOT talking about the Multibios for the CD drive, I know that doesn't work and I don't care about it anyway. I'm talking about the CARTRIDGE port, which jumper controls the US/JP setting?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Going to give this one more shot at the top before I say "oh well" to putting a switch in my X'Eye.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

not sure what you meant by cart switching?
    There's import cart to set different regions but that's only for cart games only and for MCD/SCD titles you'd better off region patching and burn new CD-R after rip the image off original disc...

if this is not what you were asking I guess region switch is the only answer though I don't have the heart to put such switch on my beautiful Sega Wondermega I...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dj898
    not sure what you meant by cart switching?
    There's import cart to set different regions but that's only for cart games only and for MCD/SCD titles you'd better off region patching and burn new CD-R after rip the image off original disc...
    Naa, I know it's easier to reburn an MCD/SCD game with a different region injected into it than mod the CD functionality - also I'm pretty sure the MultiBIOS doesn't work with the X'Eye since it only had a US release of the X'Eye BIOS. Either way I don't care about the CD drive.

I was asking about the cartridge slot. I wish to hardmod it with a switch. I want to play a Mega Drive cartridge in my X'Eye. Many Mega Drive games that don't have a region check work fine, however ones with a lockout chip will not start, you get the "not designed for this region of hardware" or something similar screen. Now the boards for the X'Eye are based on a scaled back version of the Wondermega2. I know that there are Wondermega2 systems as well as JVC X'Eye systems out there that have US/JPN (ie Genesis / Mega Drive) switches for the cartridge slot installed.

Now the mod for the Wondermega1 is easy to find information on, you run jumper R177 to either ground or +5v to denote which region the cartridge slot is set up for. I figure the same mod on the Wondermega2 and X'Eye would be similar, in that there is a specific jumper that controls if it's set to read US or JPN cartridges. If so then I need to know which jumper on the X'Eye controls this.

I've done extensive research and read many times how "installing a switch for US/JPN cartridges works fine but the MultiBIOS does not" so you CAN put a US/JPN CARTRIDGE mode switch in an X'Eye (just as with the Genesis 1, etc.) but I need to know which jumper(s) control this. The vague information I've found on it is very old and I get no response from the people that posted it. From what I've read it seems like they followed the Wondermega1 cartridge region mod instructions (off of jumper R177) however the boards are different and I haven't located an R177 point on my X'Eye board. If it's not exact to the Wondermega1 it should at least be very similar.

I'm not looking for the information to use to make profit, I'm trying to scale down how many systems I have set up and if I could put away my US/JPN modded Genesis 1 (which I only use for MegaDrive games) and use my X'Eye for both cartridge formats that would be great.

It can be done, it has been done, information on how it is done is what's missing. I'd glady write a full tutorial on how to perform the mod if someone could simply give me the information on which pin controls the US/JPN setting of the cartridge slot. I'm almost tempted into sending my precious X'Eye to a modder and paying to have the switch put in just so I can open it up and see which friggin' pin the switch runs to.

Thank you for your reply however - any other ideas?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

in that case I have one of those import cart with multiple toggle switch on its side - you can set the region with the combination... Can't recall its name top of my head as haven't used it myself since my Wondermega I is on loan before I got the cart... When I get it back I'm intend to test it out on my Wondermega...

for cart switch that's actually first time I head of...
    I will do bit of research myself now you got me interested...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

for cart switch that's actually first time I head of...
    I will do bit of research myself now you got me interested...
    If you do come across the information please let me know. It's out there or was out there at one point.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its strange how some of the old info is just droppin off the radar and is hard to find even though it used to be everywhere.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i just saw something that says even though the x'eye uses proprietry a proprietary bios, the multibios still works. so i dunno. does anyone wkno where you can score those? bioses?
    MY damn fds is being stupid so i bought another, that one didn't work, so i bought another, and another and another and another.....................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway_Recreation
    i just saw something that says even though the x'eye uses proprietry a proprietary bios, the multibios still works. so i dunno. does anyone wkno where you can score those? bioses?
    Again, this thread is NOT about the MultiBIOS, it has NOTHING to do with the CD functionality of the X'Eye. There are many multiBIOS threads, please search them. I'm looking for cartridge US/JPN switch information here.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

can't find anything useful...

can't you use one of those import cart like MagicKey III or something? Mine has DIP pin switch that can be configured for diferent regions...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

can't find anything useful...

can't you use one of those import cart like MagicKey III or something? Mine has DIP pin switch that can be configured for diferent regions...
    I suppose that would work but there IS a way to hardmod it...

http://www.multimods.com/USJP.html

No picture but a cartridge region hardmod is listed. "Fortunately, all Genesis models, the Sega CDX, and the JVC X'Eye are relatively easy to perform the US/JP mod on." = single jumper to either GND or +5v if you ask me.

Damn, this just gets more frustrating the more I look into it.

There are others looking for the same information as me without any final answer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Okay, I spent a little more time looking at the mainboard in my X'Eye, according to this page...

http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/gen2import.htm

Pin 107 on the 315-XXXX chip controls the US/JP setting, +5v for US, GND for JP. The chip in my X'Eye is a 315-5660, same as the one in the MegaDrive II also linked on that page, so the chip should be good to go for the mod. Now here's where things get a little odd since it can't be THAT easy. Here's a picture of the third side of the 315-5660 chip in my X'Eye...

...as you can see pin 107 (unless it isn't, I could be looking at it wrong, it's late and I've looked at this board far too much over the last week) runs to a jumper, point R194. This seems odd to me as if this IS pin 107 that seems way to easy, remove the jumper and you have a nice big solider point to run to the switch, no cutting traces, etc. Also note that point R193 is devoid of a jumper, but I doubt that has anything to do with this mod. Anyway, point R194 appears to run to the large plain on the backside that interfaces with the power jack. Sorry if this isn't clear, it's too late.

I know it's hard to ask questions about this stuff without having it in front of you but what's your take? I need to take some readings later today after I get some sleep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's tough to tell, but it looks like R194 has a 0-ohm SMD resistor (aka jumper). If it's marked 000 then it is. If so, and the pin it connects to on the 315-xxxx chip matches the same pin used on other Genesis units, it's probably the correct one.

The empty pads at R193 are probably for setting the other region. I'll bet that the 2 pads closest to the 315 chip are connected, and out of the other 2 pads, R193 connects to ground and 194 connects to +5. Easier to confirm if you have a VOM.

Anyway, just be sure that you hook both +5 & ground to your switch. I'm not sure if you'll get good results if pin 107 floats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

After a little more research I have completed the US/JP cartridge switch mod to the JVC X'Eye. It's ALMOST as easy as the Saturn US/JP switch mod once you know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy
    It's tough to tell, but it looks like R194 has a 0-ohm SMD resistor (aka jumper). If it's marked 000 then it is. If so, and the pin it connects to on the 315-xxxx chip matches the same pin used on other Genesis units, it's probably the correct one.
    Yes to both, R194 has a zero ohm surface mount resistor and indeed that point is connected to pin 107 on the 315-5660 chip.

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy
    The empty pads at R193 are probably for setting the other region. I'll bet that the 2 pads closest to the 315 chip are connected, and out of the other 2 pads, R193 connects to ground and 194 connects to +5. Easier to confirm if you have a VOM.
    Yes again, the upper pad at R193 runs to GND. So I removed the jumper at R194 and soldered a wire to the pad closest to the 315-5660 chip on R194 as the common. The other pad at R194 runs to one side of a SPDT switch. Then the farther away pad of R193 runs to the other side of the switch. I don't have a SPDT toggle on hand (which surprised me) so I used a scrap switch as a placeholder for testing...

...works fine, one way for US and the other for JP as with the Genesis mods. Didn't spend a lot of time with it since as I said, I need to buy some components tomorrow. I said it was almost as easy as the Saturn US/JP switch installation for one reason, space is pretty tight here compared to a Saturn board. There are a lot of components near R194 and R193 and you are pretty close to the 315-5660 chip so I'd call this an intermediate level project. After I made sure it worked I went back and cleaned up my work.

Now there are a few interesting things to note here. As FABombjoy noted, R193 probably contains a jumper for Japanese region consoles. Although the X'Eye was a US only product, it was based on the Wondermega2 and their mainboards are very similar (the Wondermega2 board is a little bigger and the CD controller board is integrated). I would assume that the Wondermega2 uses the 315-5660 chip and has the same layout that the X'Eye would later follow. In other words if R193 is closed and R194 is open on a Wondermega2 (having a Wondermega2 to look at and compare the differences probably would have sped this along) then performing the same mod would allow play of US cartridges on a Wondermega2.

The other interesting point is that since the X'Eye (and probably the Wondermega2) uses the 315-XXXX chip that the Genesis 2 / MegaDrive 2 used, then the 50Hz/60Hz mod may be a possibility as well. The 50Hz/60Hz mod with a Genesis 2 involves pin 46 of the 315-XXXX chip to either +5v or GND to switch between 60Hz / 50Hz - so it may work here since the chip is the same. The Wondermega2 / X'Eye never had a UK release but if the chip is in fact the same you may be able to force a 50Hz mode. Honestly I don't care for this since I never plan on running any PAL games. Just thought I'd bring it up.

I'm going to do a full writeup later this week (will post here as well) since there seems to be next to no solid walkthrough / confirmation that this works on an X'Eye out there. Maybe there was at one point but up until now those who knew didn't want to share.

Thanks FABombjoy for getting me to look into R193 as I probably would have put off something obvious like that for many weeks before realizing it. Finally my X'Eye has import-friendly hardware to match its import-friendly cartridge slot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweet, glad to hear it was that easy. I suppose the extra solder pad is there "just in case" they decided to use this board in Japan. I'd be curious to see if there was a similar arrangement for 50/60. Did JVC even sell any of their consoles in Europe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I don't think JVC had any market outside of the US and Japan for their consoles, considering that I don't think they made much money in either it wouldn't surprise me if they never had any European distributions. Still, if it's the same 315-XXXX chip as the Genesis 2 then it's a 315-XXXX and should abide by the same rules that the Genny 2 has regardless of the board it's on. However finding a good source to pick up the pin 46 lead from could prove to be difficult.

I ran into a small problem when I was installing the switch though, I stupidly put the switch in and then realized the right fin on the bottom of the CD lid on the top shell sat right where the switch was. I ended up just cutting the fin down to provide clearance for the switch, no big deal. The back of the console is pretty crowded with the existing jacks, etc. so putting the switch on the side or over by the AC adapter socket might be more ideal but I wanted the switch to be in the center.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

\^_^/ nice work. While your in there please figure out how to use the existing location on the board for s-video.I tried to trace down what was missing but that board drove me nuts so I ended up just doin it the standard way and added the buffer circuit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gcl1984
    \^_^/ nice work. While your in there please figure out how to use the existing location on the board for s-video.I tried to trace down what was missing but that board drove me nuts so I ended up just doin it the standard way and added the buffer circuit.
    Not really interested in S-video or RGB mods to the X'Eye. In my opinion RF and AV component based technology consoles are meant to broadcast in just that, RF or AV component. Yes, in my mind the NES should use RF since that's the core technology it was based around (single channel mono, etc.). The US/JP mod for the X'Eye is something that needs to be done since the cart slot is wide enough to accept Mega Drive carts without modification (unlike the Genesis 1 and 2, but the Genny 3 has a wide cart slot as well) but wouldn't play the lockout chip carts.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

but aren't those use RGB internally anway?
    tapping it and showing on RGB monitor would be the ultimate for any console players..