Thread: Questions on Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Questions on Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan

I've seen a lot of great reviews on this - does anyone know if there is a US releasse planned? Also, is the game understandable for non Japanese speakers if I decide to import it?

Thanks in advance for any info

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The stories are played through manga-type panels on the top screen, and you should be able to follow them easily.

There's a translation FAQ at GameFAQs if you need help getting through the first couple menus.

I doubt it will come to the U.S.
    I wish it would though! It's still my favorite DS game at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Highly doubtful that this game would get localised. Songs are in Japanese and the anime bits have Japanese writing. I mean, you'd have to use completely different songs really and then you'd have to make new stories to fit with those and the timing so really it would be a completely different game based on the same engine.

The game is very understandable for someone with no Japanese, much like myself. Only a few menus at the start, basically pick one player then easier difficulty is the bottom option. Every other menu or whatever is graphical. So you lose out on the lyrical value of songs. The stories all have Japanese text, sometimes quite a bit, but it is very comic book / anime styled and done very well so you tend to get the gist of the story through the pictures. And of course the actual gameplay of hitting things in time with the music remains exactly the same. Its an awesome game and highly recommended.

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Word of warning though, unless you are a Bemani star, the game starts out real easy and then SPIKES in difficulty.
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is this game like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

I'd compare it to a wackier version of Donkey Konga for the DS. You basically tap/trace/twirl various marks that appear on the touch screen to make a trio of male Japanese cheerleaders inspire people in need.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

One of my fave games of last year... and not that hard for non-Japanese speakers to play. You just got to know what each option is, and that the difficulty levels available have the easiest at the bottom and work upwards

Which reminds me, need to finish the last couple of levels of Normal off, and then try to start on Hard...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    One of my fave games of last year... and not that hard for non-Japanese speakers to play. You just got to know what each option is, and that the difficulty levels available have the easiest at the bottom and work upwards

Which reminds me, need to finish the last couple of levels of Normal off, and then try to start on Hard...
    Have fun with Ready, Steady GO!! The whole game presents quite a challenge although i gave up on the female cheerleaders because the style of play is quite different, hard is good fun though, and, oh, i might just go and give Ready Steady Go a run through on hard to see if i remember it.

follow-up edit: just played it and wow, it was fun but i remember that whole level from months back, only made one mistake, argh, which i'm annoyed about. I guess thats what it takes to actually beat the stupid thing on hard. Oh well, i wish there were more levels like that now

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is a great game that is easy to play. As far as a US release is concerned, it is not too likely. Nothing has been announced so far, but EGM has said that a few publishers are interested in it, though.

Beware, though. Playing the game will very likely scratch your screen. I am very upset at how many scratches are on my DS now, and I have been very careful with it. Sure none of them are that bad, but when you play this game for a while, you will likely start to realize that the screen is getting scratched.

By the way, has anyone beaten it on the hardest difficulty (with the female cheerleaders)? I have three stages left, but I stopped playing a while back.
    I like monkeys...and poop...and monkeys that poop...and play video games