Thread: PS2 Disc Read Error

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

Default PS2 Disc Read Error

All of my games are fine and play fine except when i put my earlier titles in, the ones that are blue on the back, in to my system i get a Disc Read Error. Any suggestions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

PM sent concerning basic repair.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default Re: PS2 Disc Read Error

Quote Originally Posted by DKTheArcadeRat
    All of my games are fine and play fine except when i put my earlier titles in, the ones that are blue on the back, in to my system i get a Disc Read Error. Any suggestions?
    Okay, I'm now having the same problem as well. Could you give me some insight as well?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Isn't sony obiligated to fix that error due to a class action lawsuit? does anyone have that number?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default Re: PS2 Disc Read Error

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    Quote Originally Posted by DKTheArcadeRat
    Okay, I'm now having the same problem as well. Could you give me some insight as well?
    PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Damion
    Isn't sony obiligated to fix that error due to a class action lawsuit? does anyone have that number?
    Ha, good luck. Obviously you haven't delt with a class-action lawsuit before. Once you meet the criteria (which is usually a bitch to begin with) you get to wait and wait and wait for any action to be made.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

No I'm serious. The only hoop you would have to jump through is that it would have to constantly be giving a DRE.

I'll find the link and post it soon.

ok the best one I've found so far (which I admit is not that good)

This guide assumes you know the difference between scratched discs and the infamous DRE problem due to malfunctioning equipment in the first few revisions of the PS2 architecture. The problem stems from a faulty mechanism that focuses the reading laser onto the disc. It is a design flaw, and it HAS been fixed on newer generation PS2s as well as on the newer PStwo(Slim).

Now, there are two ways to solve this problem. One is a temporary DIY fix that only serves to hold off the inevetable. The other, most effective solution is to call Sony Tech Support and have them fix the bugger for good (hopefully). This solution is the focus of this article. I decided to write this not for the SP, but in the hopes of helping everyone who has posted in the Support thread and not completely understood what to do. This is all caming from prsanal experience, as I have a first generation PS2 that had DRE problems; I tried the temporary fix a few times and I finally got the time to have Sony fix it for me.

Scope of the Problem
    This problem occurs in early model PS2 units. The mechanism that focuses the laser onto discs is faulty and eventually ceases proper functionality. The result is that when reading discs, especially DVDs, a nasty error pops up on the screen reading "Disc Read Error." This eventually works its way to complete inability to read anything you stick in the machine's disc tray.

Solving this Problem

There IS a temporary solution to the problem involving opening the PS2 casing and manually moving the laser into the optimal focising range. However, as the faulty device works its black magic, the laser will soon fall out of focus once more, and the steps must be repeated, and so on and so forth until eventually even this trigk no longer works. This is where I was once at, after having adjusted the laser three times.

However, there is one FAIL-PROOF solution. Let Sony fix it for free. Yes, FREE. No labor charges, no parts costs, F-R-E-E. And it works every time. If only fixing car was so simple...

How is it free?

I'm sure you are wondering how this can possible. Is it because Sony is trying to actually treat their customers right for once? Is Nobuyuki Idei (CEO of Sony) feeling generous or even wanting a tax break this April?

Nope. Reason #1 and only reason: class-action lawsuit filed against Sony for releasing a knowingly faulty designed product and charging to fix it. This is why it is free. Any other fix for the PS2 is an anal-raping's worth of charges as normal. Feel lucky that all you have is a DRE.

How do I get my PS2 fixed for free?

There are a few steps to take first to make sure that Tech Support will clear your case immediatly and let you get on with your game playing.

- Test your discs elsewhere first! Make yourself ABSOLUTELY SURE that it is YOUR PS2 that is faulty, not your discs. Go stick them in a friend's PS2 or take them to a local PS2 shop to test them there. If you don't, and the problem is NOT with your PS2, Sony may charge you Diagnostics fees and shipping costo before they allow the PS2 back into your itching hands.
    - Write down your PS2's model number, serial number, and condition onto a sheet of paper, noting any scratches, marks, etc. Make a copy to send in with the unit for quality assurance purposes.
    - If you have the PS2 HDD or broadband adapter, REMOVE THEM. DO NOT give Sony the chance of losing them. It's not worth the risk.

There are also a few conditions you must meet:

- Your unit must be in stock condition. It must not be modded in ANY way. No flip tops, no mod chips, etc.
    - Your unit must not be damaged in any way that could hamper the functionality of the unit. I know you got pissed off at that game for beind so goddamned hard, but that will not make you a friend of Sony...
    - You need that little sticker on the back with your unit's model nuber and serial nuber. They will send it right back if you do not have that.

Conditions that you do NOT have to meet:

- You do NOT need proof ol purchase, warranty papers, or receipts. They do not care how or when you got it.
    - You do NOT need to worry about breaking the warranty sticker. This is an out of warranty fix for most people anyways. If they ask, say you opened the unit to clean the dust out.

It's time to call Sony

Now that you are prepared, it's time to give Sony a ring and *request* service. Get the number from Sony's website or from documetation with your PS2. It is vitally important that you mention certain things and do NOT mention other things.

Things to tell them about the problem:
    - Tell them you are receiving a Disc Read Error whenever you try to play a game or movie. This should get them interested or at least change the tone of the conversation.
    - Tell them you tried your games in a friend's PS2 and they work there.

Things NOT to mention unless they specifically ask:
    - Opening the unit. If you did and they ask, say you were cleaning it.
    - This guide. The moment you say "I saw ... that said I could get this done for free" they will shut down and deny the service. They don't want to fix an OK unit because some flyboy heard he could get something for free. Act like you don't even know what's going on.
    - Do not say anything about Free. See above.
    - Modding. It is out of the question for them. Mods = BAD to Sony.

The support agent should *offer* you free servicing of the unit if you send it to Sony. S/He will give you a case number, an address to ship it to, and complete instructions on what YOU need to do. If you have any questions, this is the time to ask; this is what they get paid to do.

Sending the unit to Sony

Make sure you get a nie big box to put it in and one with plenty of room for packing materials. Also be sure it is a box you don't care about getting back, they will only returrn the PS2 to you in one of their boxes, they will throw yours away. DO NOT use the original PS2 box unless you WANT to get rid of it for good.

Now, attach the information the support agent told you to. Also attach a copy of the condition sheet I told you to make above. Make note of anything and everything, and KEEP COPIES OF EVERYTHING FOR YOURSELF. This is your way of holding Sony accountable, and quite frankly you should do this for anything you ever send out for repair, etc.

Tape the box up well, and take it to USPS, FedEx, or UPS, or any shipper of your choice. However, MAKE SURE you get insurance an the package of AT LEAST $150 so that if they kill the package, you can buy a new PS2 with the insurance money. Also make sure the package is traceable, so you can tell once it' made it Sony; they will not contact you at all.

Once Sony gets your PS2, they will replace the faulty parts with new ones and promptly return your PS2 to you, all without saying a word. This is normal. Rejoice in only havisg spent $10 or so on shipping the unit in for a free repair rather than be forced to shell out another $150-200 as millions of people have done when their units bit the dust.

What you should NOT expect from Sony

- A new PS2 or PStwo. They will NOT replace your entire unit. They will only replace the faulty parts, so you will get back the same PS2, only with better quality parts inside.
    - Much communication. Understandably, they spend as little as possible on free repairs, and this includes communication. My only comms with Sony when I sent mine in was the original Tech call and a paper receipt of the service. KEEP THIS RECEIPT, as it gives you a 90 day warranty on your PS2, and may come in handy in the future.

Conclusion

I hope this helps people. I know I appreciated the free service, and I know there are thousands of people who would too. Any donations for the creation of this tutorial are welcome if it helps you out. Always nice to give back
    LINK

I've read of more then a few stories of this nature on various forums that claimed it works. I really don't see the harm in trying. The PA forum had a better link but that was months ago. I hope someone here has it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some links from the forums here:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41720
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47599
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48423
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48838

I suggest you call Sony at 1-800-345-7669, describe your problem, and see if they will fix it for free. I was able to get my PS2 repaired for free (excluding shipping to Sony) this way.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaloup
    Some links from the forums here:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41720
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47599
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48423
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48838

I suggest you call Sony at 1-800-345-7669, describe your problem, and see if they will fix it for free. I was able to get my PS2 repaired for free (excluding shipping to Sony) this way.

YAY! I'm not insane

thank you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

No I'm serious. The only hoop you would have to jump through is that it would have to constantly be giving a DRE.

I'll find the link and post it soon.
    I'm not trying to discredit what you're saying, just that the terms of these lawsuits are usually a pain. The way the PS2 is designed it sucks dust right across the DVD drive assembly so spending 20 minutes and simply cleaning it on your own (has worked for me countless times, and yes, with launch PS2's) is easier and faster than shipping it to Sony. The PS2's in question probably need to be blown out anyway.

This is the reason why I didn't just post the information I PM'ed to DKTheArcadeRat and Graham Mitchell, seems everyone's an expert on these matters.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    seems everyone's an expert on these matters.

:/

yeah.... I guess so. not sure how to take that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I didn't mean anything by that, just that everyone has some different fix or tweak for the PS2. I didn't want to get bashed for my cleaning method so I simply PM'ed it to those who were in need.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

I didn't mean anything by that, just that everyone has some different fix or tweak for the PS2. I didn't want to get bashed for my cleaning method so I simply PM'ed it to those who were in need.
    I have to apologize It's been a long day on my end. in fact while I was catching up on some work I relized how you meant it.

Sorry about that and thank you for clearing it up for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That lengthy fix above:

a) does not address the fact that some versions simply cannot be adjusted in that way

b) fails to mention that adjusting the camber will break DVD movie playback in most cases

The fix is very varied. 13 different issues cause DRE. That's why it's so common.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    That lengthy fix above:

a) does not address the fact that some versions simply cannot be adjusted in that way

b) fails to mention that adjusting the camber will break DVD movie playback in most cases

The fix is very varied. 13 different issues cause DRE. That's why it's so common.
    Thank you.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

I told them I bought it at launch & even though the problem surfaced 4 years ago, my PS2 is no longer under warrantee. I can either send it in for a refurb & pay $45 or pay $65 for a repair. It never really became a consistant problem until a year ago so I guess I got a good 4.5 years out of it? Looks like I'll be opening it up & fixing it myself.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut