Thread: Is Devil Kings part of the Devil May Cry series?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is Devil Kings part of the Devil May Cry series?

Also, why is it that I've heard absolutlely nothing about this game? Any good anyone? The Devil in the title is spelled just like the Devil May Cry, and both are made by capcom. Or is it a more obscure connection? Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no. I think it has to more to do with the developers that had to do with developing it and the style , I played killer7 developed by them had a simliar flavor and style.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Grasshopper Manufacture has developed Killer 7 and Devil Kings, yes.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The two have nothing to do with each other, though I do recall hearing somewhere that Dante was originally going to be a playable hidden character in the game. That doesn't seem to have panned out, though. :/

Anyways, the game itself is basically a dynasty warriors clone, albeit, a ridiculous, over-the-top one. It's got some weird character designs, including a little girl with a giant hammer and an inexplicable southern accent, and a guy who wields six swords like claws. It's quite good from what I played, I actually found it to be a bit better than Dynasty warriors.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to mention that the game was edited for the western market. From an IGN interview:

Kobayashi: In Japan, Devil Kings is called Sengoku Basara, and it focuses on Japanese history in the same sense that Dynasty Warriors focuses on Chinese history. So it's similar in that sense, but with a Capcom style, a Capcom flair to it. We took the concept, and said, "What can we do to differentiate this to make this different from the Dynasty Warriors games?" And we decided the secret maybe lay in some other games Capcom has done. We said, "Let's give the characters a kind of Devil May Cry flair -- some really cool moves, like the kind of things you might see in Devil May Cry. Let's the characters and make them all vastly and distinctly different from one another, like Street Fighter II." That's the Japanese version. Then, we said, "Okay, let's release it in North America -- what can we do to make it different again?" So we said, "Okay, we'll make it dark." Call it Devil Kings. The main character sold his soul to the devil. We'll darken up the background, give more moves, more ability to power your character up, and things like that for the American market.

IGN: Plus it's not historically accurate?

Kobayashi: The Japanese version of the game is based on Japanese history. There are some fantasy elements that didn't actually happen, of course, but enough of it is there. With the U.S. version, we've taken that element out entirely. Some of the backgrounds may retain that eastern flair. Many of them don't and are brand new; many of the enemies are brand new; and it's no longer based around the idea of feudal Japan at all. That part of the game has now been changed to be darker, devilish.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the insight, and I found the altering of the game for the US market to be very interesting. I'll have to play it sometime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yay just what the american market needs! Another dark agnsty 3D adventure game . At least Koei had the balls to actually release Dynasty Warriors with the Chineese history intact, instead of pandering to the lowest common denominator of the US game market. Maybe if people started respecting other cultures, and watching subbed or even dubbed foriegn movies instead of US remakes ( The Ring, Dark Water, telenovelas, im looking at you) this bullshit wouldn't happen.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile
    Yay just what the american market needs! Another dark agnsty 3D adventure game . At least Koei had the balls to actually release Dynasty Warriors with the Chineese history intact, instead of pandering to the lowest common denominator of the US game market. Maybe if people started respecting other cultures, and watching subbed or even dubbed foriegn movies instead of US remakes ( The Ring, Dark Water, telenovelas, im looking at you) this bullshit wouldn't happen.
    You call it that, I call it smart business. I hate to tell you that the success of the Dynasty Warriors series stateside has nothing to do with it's history lessons, and very little to do with it's eastern setting.