Thread: NES Gradius Help

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES Gradius Help

I'm probably gonna get a few weird looks from a few of you hardcore shmup folks for this, but I'm stuck on the first level of the original Gradius for NES, and I'm hoping to get a little advice.

There's a point that I'm guessing is towards the end of the level where your path stops at two volcanoes, which spew a quick and seemingly unavoidable stream of rocks in all directions. This point kills me (as well as all of my friends who have tried it) EVERY DAMN TIME. Is there some place you can go to be safe from all of these, or is there a good strategy for fighting your way through it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: NES Gradius Help

Well, my experience was with the Game Boy version (probably slower), but what I did was I set Vic Viper about level with the tops of the volcanoes, and to the left - with the nose pointing straight towards the space right above the volcanoes. First, though, you go up so your two options/bees/whatever are above you.

Keep plugging away to clear away the volcanic stones boss. YAY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can use the Konami code and get full equipt or collect enough power ups and chose an option or shield.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ye, this place is though. Its been a while since I've played it but afaik there is a spot on the left side that you can stay and just shoot all the time without being hit. Think its down left of the first volcano. Might be that you have to move alittle.
    Also using the "double" powerup might make it easier.

EDIT: Found the spot. I used the "double" option and one "extra" option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's how I do it:

1 Option
    Laser
    Missiles
    Shield (if you can scrounge enough capsules)
    (And I normally have 2 Speed Ups, but that's up to you)

Stay as far in the upper left as you can, and try to position the Option so that it's along your missile firing path, and essentially doubling your fire power right into the tip of the volcano. The missiles will take out most of the rocks that fly up right below you. The two lasers should take out the strays that could potentially hit you from the front. It's very rare that I get toasted using this strategy in pretty much any version of Gradius.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with Davidbrit2. Make sure your option is below you in the path of the rocks, and it'll destroy anything that gets lobbed at you. It's a bit easier to do in versions of Gradius that let you have more options, but it's still doable in the NES one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You must move and think quickly grasshopper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use the same power ups as davidbrit2 does but I'm a point whore so I keep the Vic slightly above the rock spewing point with the option sitting out a little in front of the ship. Doing this, you're guranteed to destroy 90+ % of the rocks. Of corse, during the attack, one or two may escape towards your position, but if you've got good reflexes, it's an easy left or right movement dodge. Doing it this way is a big point bonus towards that next extend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Ye, this place is though. Its been a while since I've played it but afaik there is a spot on the left side that you can stay and just shoot all the time without being hit. Think its down left of the first volcano. Might be that you have to move alittle.
    Also using the "double" powerup might make it easier.

EDIT: Found the spot. I used the "double" option and one "extra" option.

This is a new way to do it! I have alwayls used pretty much the same stratagy as davidbrit2 as it has always worked for me. I'll give this method a try.

Oh yeah Gradius (NES) is a GREAT game! It was this game and Zanac that got me into shooties.

Another peice of advice: Don't rush in defeating the first boss or else it will warp you to stage 3 and that ain't cool! Instead take your time on the first boss and when you make it to the second boss shoot like heck to beat him in about 10 seconds and you will warp to stage 4 totally bypasing the frustration that is stage 3 .

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Gradius games are a bit weird in that most of them you have to beat on nearly one life, or you are going to have Hell to pay in getting your power ups back.

If you can get that diagonal gun and a couple options, these volcanos are no problem if you stay to the left and fire away. In fact, you should definitely be fully powered up by stage two (missiles, diagonal gun, two options, shield, and whatever speed you want). Collect enough capsules so that you have a second shield ready as soon as the first one wears out.

I think I was 10 when I got this game. I thought it was hard at first, compared to Life Force which I had already played. Onece I got past stage 1, I think I beat it within a day or two.

Gradius II was far, far harder. They really play up the whole, "if you don't get fully powered up in stage 1 you're screwed" idea. I really thought Gradius II was impossible, until I managed to snag every damn power up in level 1 and memorized every fire snake's appearance. After that, I sailed right through the game in a couple days after weeks of owning it.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis
    Oh yeah Gradius (NES) is a GREAT game! It was this game and Zanac that got me into shooties.
    On the NES!?
    Bah, hardware scrolling is cheating.