Thread: Eternal mystery over Street Fighter 2 -- can you solve it?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Eternal mystery over Street Fighter 2 -- can you solve it?

This question has been about 14 years in the making. I finally remembered this experience...

Once upon a time, while playing the local SF2 machine, I heard two sounds that I never heard since. At least one (if not both) happened on Blanka's stage. One of them was the sound of glass breaking. I don't mean the sounds you hear on the car bonus stage, or any other crashing sounds in the game. This was unique, with the "bong" and tinkling you hear when a large piece of glass is shattered.

The second sound was a woman's scream. A shriek, to be more precise. It was short, but fairly piercing.

To short circuit the possible "owner's manual troubleshooting" type responses ("Is the unit plugged in?"), I'll give some additional info:

1. My cousin and I both heard these sounds.
    2. We were both extremely familiar with SF2, playing it complusively.
    3. There were no other machines nearby that could have been mistakenly heard.
    4. These sounds DEFINITELY came from the SF2 machine (the store was not being robbed, etc.)
    5. This was an original SF2 machine. "Accelerator" machines started showing up quite awhile later.

I never managed to figure out what triggered those sounds. They were undoubtedly samples.
    We always figured one that some day we would have an opportunity to get our own SF2 board and fiddle around with it, trying to replicate the event. It never happened, and I forgot about it until now.

Anyone have any insights?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1.Bong sound I think is when you knock someone into the barrel in Guile/USA Stage.

2.Scream Sound is when your in that Hong Kong/Chun-Li stage I think, I'm not sure if it matters who you play with there, but i think it definitely screams when you win with Chun-Li there.

Hope that clears up a few loose ends. No, I'm not an Avid SFII Player and Would Need Someone Else To Confirm This.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Somebody broke a bottle over a counter and stabbed a lady in/near the arcade.
    Currently Playing: Limbo, CoD: MW2
    XBL: Kazaam McFresh

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually own a stand up world warrior sFII arcade machine.

So glass and scream.

I would say the glass was a unheard animation of the glass breaking stage, and the scream was probably a fuse or somthing like that popping.
    *Insert famous Towlie quote here*

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The "bong" sound was to describe the sound of the pane of glass initially hitting the ground, prior to shattering.

The scream is nowhere to be heard in the game, as normally played. Chun Li has a "Ahhhhhh" "scream" at any rate.

I don't know how else to put this. I (and my cousin) have played that game inside and out. We were completely familiar with the normal palette of game sounds, so there is no chance the we mistook a barrel sound or a defeat scream (or whatever) for these sounds.

As for the "fuse popping"--no. I don't exaggerate. It was a sampled female shriek. The glass breaking sound was unique.

If you haven't actually heard these sounds, or heard about them, then don't "interpret" other game sounds or external sounds to be causes. I know what I heard, and I'm being very specific.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, as previously stated, the glass breaking (and also the scream, as I recall) was on Blanka's stage.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

guys THIS IS WEIRD!

Because when I was a kid and I was always playing Street Fighter II for the SNES, I would hear Sound Samples that werent used in the game. I would sit there and fuck with the sound test for a long time, and if I played certain sounds in a certain order, it would unlock different samples that werent in the game!

WHO CAN EXCPLAIN THIS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's going on?!? I'll tell you what's going on:

Sheng Long is behind the mystery!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I defeated Sheng Long.

I was longer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

On SFII arcade machines, these sounds are stored at:

0x31 (49 in decimal): glass breaking
    0x42 (66): "ha..kk.." - definitely sounds like something else
    0x45 (69 lol): wimpy scream

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Sometimes when a game is put into production some files are not erased when they should have been. If you go through a sound test for a lot of games you will hear stuff not on the games final version.

And yes I heard those 2 sounds before, I believe its only played during the demo mode loop.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i've got a rad rally cab here, and the game still has sounds from radmoble on it because it is basically a newer update to that with a load of gameplay differances and differant tracks and stuff, all the radmobile soundtracks are there, sound effects, the lot i bet they could of saved a lot of money by putting the sound program roms on one rom rarther than the radmobile stuff on it's own roms on the board anyway!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there a way to access all of the sound files on the SF2 arcade game? A sound test sort of thing? I have the roms for Mame (although I've heard that there were 3-4 revisions of the original SF2, so I don't know if I would necessarily have the same version I played at the Pic Quik)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, BridgeM1 + list packs (be sure to get those):

http://www.e2j.net/downloads.html

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as well as that, most boards will have a sound BGM and SFX test. by flipping the test switch on your cab/board/emulator.

the problem with m1 emulator, is you need to know the sound code for the sound effect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy
    the problem with m1 emulator, is you need to know the sound code for the sound effect.
    I wish that were the limit of its problems!

M1's list packs won't let you play random sounds, and the lack of a numeric input plain sucks (i.e. input any code you want). For some popular games there are lists of the sound effects, and SFII is one of these, but unfortunately there aren't many like this.