Thread: Does anyone own a C-One?

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Does anyone own a C-One?

I only recently heard about this while looking at, I think, Lemon64. It really intrigues me but I can't seem to find too much info on the thing. In case you don't knw here's a link to the site:

http://c64upgra.de/c-one/

Does anyone here own one or even know anything about it, at all? I would like to buy one but the total cost for a complete and working machine puts me off until I find more info on the thing! It seems too good to be true - storing 8 bit machine on CF cards and using real hardware instead of just emulation. The idea of sticking C64 game images on a standard PC floppy and playing them on 'proper' hardware is pretty cool too. Please let me know if anyone does know anything about this! Thanks, P
    Pretty Fly for a Doom Guy...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

I've got one. I have a bit of history of me buying it, etc, on my blog on DP, but also a lot of discussion here: http://particles.org/forum/viewforum...31c42b9c0aa9ec

I threw together a small FAQ that you really should read before considering one as the website is less than truthful. The website goes into what it is *capable* of, not what it *will* do right now. It's a work in progress which I hope will turn into something good down the road.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, do you think it's worth holding off just now? I liked the idea 'cos I fancied going back in time and writing some games in BASIC like the good old days which I don't seem to want to do through an emu. And, the big seller, standard PC floppy drive support. Do you think this will happen soon?
    Pretty Fly for a Doom Guy...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Lambrini
    So, do you think it's worth holding off just now? I liked the idea 'cos I fancied going back in time and writing some games in BASIC like the good old days which I don't seem to want to do through an emu. And, the big seller, standard PC floppy drive support. Do you think this will happen soon?
    Writing games? Sure go for it for this. It should emulate most of the VIC II tricks 100%.

Yes there is a floppy drive controller, but don't expect any thing out of it. In the current "core", it doesn't support it at all. All drives are hooked up via IEC bus (standard Commodore BUS) on the back of the machine. In other words, you're using a 1541/71/81 for floppy drive support. The IDE channel and Compact Flash cards are not usable from the C64 core.

Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CommodoreOne/ , this is the support group and you can find a lot of good stuff on there.