Thread: Newsgroups... what the hell?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Newsgroups... what the hell?

Could somebody give me a step by step guide to retrieving binaries from newsgroups (specifically, alt.binaries.emulators.misc)? Frankly, I don't have a clue how to do it.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're using outlook express, ditch it, it's rather terrible as newsreader and gets a D- on handling single binary posts not yEnc encoded. For multipart post, OE gets an F because you have to *manuall* select all the parts, right click to use combine and decode, and rearrainge the posts in correct order and since the window's not resizeable you often can't see the last part of the post subject.

I use Agent (free version available but I think you need a full version for yEnc support) and it can gracefully handle multipart attachment and kindly informs you if a part is missing so you don't get corrupted binary.

Another issue: free news server may drop posts rather quickly and some news server may not catch all parts of a multipart posting so unbless you have a premium news server (not the one that comes with ISP) you shouldn't expect to get every post you wanted,
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Newsbin Pro...

I live by this program. It is quite possibly the most used program on my system and has been for a few years:

www.newsbin.com

It is very easy to set up. Just add in your news server (get this from your ISP) and downlaod the list of groups. You add them like IE favorites, and double click on them to display the completed binaries. From there you simply check off what you want to download and thats all! No combining posts or whatnot. I have downloaded just about every rom I own from the groups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyImpmon
    Another issue: free news server may drop posts rather quickly and some news server may not catch all parts of a multipart posting so unbless you have a premium news server (not the one that comes with ISP) you shouldn't expect to get every post you wanted,
    Yep.. this is actually kind of important.

Unless you have a great ISP with good newsgroup service (chances are generally low), I would recommend subscribing to an independant ng server.

http://www.usenetserver.com for example charges about 15 bucks a month. I also know some people who like to use http://www.easynews.com

Sign-up for either of these should be pretty much instant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to add that if you have Verizon DSL or Optimum Online Cable access in your area, go with that instead. Both have great Newsgroup access, although Optonline's is slightly better (more groups available).