Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Grafx 16 advice needed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Turbo Grafx 16 advice needed

I have decided to buy one. I have never played one, know basically nothing about the system, and just read up on it tonight. I'm thinking of buying a Turbo Duo so I can play more games on it. I read quite a bit of "the japanese library is much better than the US's library." So am thinking of getting a system that can play both (if that is possible). I'm looking to spend 150-200 dollars. I need advice from an avid TG16 gamer.

What is the best way for me to get the best of my first TG16 experience? What kinda ebay lot should I look for? Anything I should know when hunting? What are some good peripherals?

You get the picture.

Apologies if this thread has been done a billion times.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the best ways to do it cheaply, is to start off with just a regular TG-16 base unit first. Just get a regular Turbo unit, but get one that has a region mod. This way, it has a little button on it, and you can switch back and forth between U.S. TG-16 Hu cards or PC Engine Hu cards. Also, do yourself a favor and get either a S-Video mod for it or a RGB mod, but make sure that the mod is on the side of the unit, so when you attatch the CD rom attachment, you still get S-Video or RGB picture on the CD games as well.

Yep, at a later date you can get the CD attachment. No need to get it right away. But when you do get it, the nice thing will be the fact that you don't have to buy a super expensive System 3.0 card to play Super CD's. Nope, because you were smart and got a region modded turbo, you can simple get a Arcade Card Pro, which is much cheaper, and actually better, because it also allows you to play the Arcade CD games.

So, to recap, you need to:

1. Buy a TG-16 base unit, one Turbo pad, one extension cord. That's all you need by the way. Just a bare bones TG-16, turbo pad and extension cord for the turbo pad (turbo pad cords are super short). For the video you are either going to use the S-Video mod on the side of the unit, or the RGB mod on the side of the unit. As for the Power Supply, just use a Genny 1 power supply, they work absolutely fine.

2. Get a couple of super proper Hu cards. Like Bonk's Adventure, Splatterhouse, Blazing Lazers, Aero-Blasters, Military Madness, Legendary Axe, Neutopia, Dungeon Explorer, etc, etc. Also, sometimes the PC Engine version is virtually identical in every way, but even cheaper than the U.S. version, simply cause not enough people have region modded TG-16's or converters, so on Ebay sometimes you can get a PC Engine version of a pretty expensive American Hu Card for cheap.

3. Enjoy this for awhile, then when you really feel the itch, get the CD attatchment and the docking station and a Arcade Card Pro.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evil_genius
    I'm looking to spend 150-200 dollars.
    just spend bit more and get modified PC Engine Duo-R or Du-RX from D-Lite...

it will play both US and JP hucard/Cd/SCD titles and you will also be able to display using S-Video connection rather than piss poor composite... Anything extra you may want to pick up would be then Arcade Card Duo which is far cheaper than Arcade Card Pro...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dj898
    just spend bit more and get modified PC Engine Duo-R or Du-RX from D-Lite...

it will play both US and JP hucard/Cd/SCD titles and you will also be able to display using S-Video connection rather than piss poor composite...

Yeah, but if he's brand new to the Turbo scene, no need to start off spending $300 on something you might not even be into that much. Might as well, just get a bare bones TG-16 unit and see if the Turbo is even something you will like. If you are blown away by the brilliance of Bonk's Adventure or Dungeon Explorer or Blazing Lasers on Hu card, then you know that the Turbo might be your kind of system and then you can take it to the next level.

If you are strickly a gamer, and not a collector, then you might want to have the ability to play dubs as well, and certain Turbo setups don't like dubs at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. I will do a little research about the things you guys are talking about. By the way, whats dubs?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

cd-r, backups, copies whatever you call...,

I was just suggesting since he's prepared to spending fair bit of money might as well get the most reliable(?) one...

but then again as suggested it'd be wise to wet the appetite before committing big money...

a word of advise, once you commit to PC Engine/Turbo be prepared to spend a lot of money... or plan your next holiday and one after to Japan so you can go on some hunting trip...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

TG16 only if you want to see what games are like.

Duo-R, if your going all the way and you want a durable system that does it all.

Realy avoid the, Turbo Duo system 'it is know to have sound problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who or what is d-lite? Is he a forum member?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, he's a forum member, and he has wicked skills is relation to Turbo and Neo-Geo related mods and such. Also good with RGB, etc.

Look, if you have serious dough to spend, then certainly, get a Duo-R with a S-Video and RGB mod. And also do your self a favor and get a Sony PVM-2520 monitor to play the thing on. But, if you want a nice little taste of the Turbo flavor then just do your self a favor and simply get a barebones TG-16 with a side RGB mod, and the Hu card Bonk's Adventure. Add one Commodore 1084S-D1 monitor and custom RGB cable and mix thoroughly. Then add some Splatterhouse, some Dungeon Explorer and some Military Madness. Then, when you've had your taste of that, add some Legendary Axe and some Ninja Spirit and some Bonk's Revenge and some Blazing Lasers and Aero-Blasters, and then once you've had all of that, then step into the world of CD based media and the finest retro system of all time.

But only then. No need to rush. Experience the system as in time, Don't rush immediately to play Sapphire.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

well you forgot the playing crouching on the Virtual Cushion with Wireless Pad is helluva kool...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Instead of going the TG16 route, I'm going to echo the sentiments and strongly suggest you pick up a PC Engine Duo or Duo R - they can be found for under $200, usually around $150. PC Engine games can normally be found easier (even domestically for me... I've found 15 games so far just from local game stores), and usually far cheaper than their US counterparts even when importing. The PC Engine Duo will play US CD games just fine though you'd have to mod it to play US HU cards (though I haven't found a reason to do so).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a tough decision. I am gonna do a bit more research on the systems and if they are known to have mechanical problems. I had no clue there was so much to know about this system.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would also have to say, that if you get a TurboGraphx 16, I would take a serious look at the handheld, it plays the same HU cards so you get to play your favorite Graphx games on the go, there are a few different designs from what I've seen, and I've had my eye out on one, you can usually find them complete on ebay for 200 bucks easily.

I don't know if you wanted to know about what games are worth it, but these are a few that I would definately buy...
    SideArms
    Splatterhouse
    Bonk's Adventure
    Legendary Axe
    Double Dungeons
    and if you're into wrestling games, the FirePro series also released some games that I've never actually got to see before, but I'm sure that they would be awesome games.
    - Todd
    to the end an experiment in reorienting oneself within a world of total uncertainty.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

all the bonks are fun,

military madness is great if your into strategy games.

blazing lasers = fun shooter.

gate of thunder is also great, although a bit expensive.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Keep in mind that if you go the TG-16+CDROM route, it takes up a LOT of space. A Duo is very compact, and I have never had mine fail on me ever. I've had 2 TG16s with bad video problems, though.

If you go the duo route, you will need:

Duo (plus controller).
    AC adapter and video cable...they are both a bitch to find, so don't buy a system w/o them
    Region Mod or Kisado adapter.
    Arcade card for games that use it.

Of course, the video mods are always nice too, but not necessary. Be aware the duo does not support RF output at all afaik and is natively composite (can the Duo do s-video natively?)

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    Be aware the duo does not support RF output at all afaik and is natively composite (can the Duo do s-video natively?)

-Rob
    I don't think so.
    D-Lite put his custom board for S-Video output frommy understanding...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Yeah he is a member here and at (neo-geo.com) and at (pcenginefx.com)

Btw his site http://www.multimods.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0
    Yeah he is a member here and at (neo-geo.com) and at (pcenginefx.com)

Btw his site http://www.multimods.com
    Thanks, I'm gonna check it out.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by icbrkr
    Instead of going the TG16 route, I'm going to echo the sentiments and strongly suggest you pick up a PC Engine Duo or Duo R
    What's the difference between those two? The only thing I've ever been able to figure out is the color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Yep, I bought both (I have the standard, the R for a friend) and all I can tell is that the color is different and NEC used a different power supply for the R