Thread: Short but fun EB story

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Short but fun EB story

Well, as per my post in the weekday finds thread, I hit up the local EB this week and bought about 15 Dreamcast games. Of course, being from EB, there's just so many damn stickers to keep me out. So I'm knifing them open tonight and I get to Dead or Alive 2. Funny, this one isn't sealed. Funny, this one has no disc inside. Huh, how about that...

So it's 8:35 and I race out there to return it. The guy working was really cool about it and says to me, "Yeah, we've got this little bastard that likes to come in and steal games, especially the Dreamcast ones."

And all I could think of was how they needed a sign and photograph Comic Book Guy-style "Banned For Life". I guess all ended well, though, except I had really wanted to play that tonight. Boo-urns.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

+1 for "Boo-Urns"

That is all
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They don't keep the discs in the cases at my EB.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's EB speak for "Well it was busy and I forgot to put the game in the case"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i find it strange to hear of a EB that keeps it's discs in the cases, all the ones i've been too keep them behind the counter or out back, sometimes even the proper cases aren't out front just generic EB ones with the name written on the front.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've found that it depends on the location and system. In this case, since they were clearing out the Dreamcast, they're all just on the shelf in the case, though most are disc only in the generic EB case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That happened to me back in high school. I was buying a used copy of Nirvana's Nevermind at a Wherehouse Music, and the clerk checked to make sure the disc was in the jewel case, and then asked me to get another copy since the disc was gone. Then again, it was pretty easy for anyone to steal a used CD there, since they just kept them out in racks and the best security most of the CDs had were a strip of tape. They finally wised up a bit around the time FYE bought the chain.

I can't think of a local EB that doesn't keep their all their discs behind the counter, but most GameStops in the area just keep PSX stuff in the jewel cases. I remember buying a used copy of Driver a few years ago, and the clerk was fumbling for a minute to find the disc in the drawer before she asked the other girl working there for help, who told her it was already in the case.

I'll close with a story of my own: I witnessed this at a local EB earlier this month. This kid that looked about 13 at the oldest wanted to buy the newest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game on XBox. He asks the clerk if they have it, he looks it up, and they do. The kid says he can't find the case, and the clerk checks the drawer to make sure the disc is there, and it is. So the clerk searches the entire store for the case for a good minute, with no luck. He tells the kid that some idiot probably stole it, and asks if the kid wants to buy the game anyways. The kid said yes and paid for it. I didn't see any parents with him, so I couldn't help but wonder if some angry parent stormed in after I left.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As an EB employee, it matters what EB and where the location is. At one of the EBs i work at (strip mall) we leave ps1 and dc on the floor. But the mall store would never do anything like that. So really its not that surprising.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace
    I witnessed this at a local EB earlier this month. This kid that looked about 13 at the oldest wanted to buy the newest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game on XBox. He asks the clerk if they have it, he looks it up, and they do. The kid says he can't find the case, and the clerk checks the drawer to make sure the disc is there, and it is. So the clerk searches the entire store for the case for a good minute, with no luck. He tells the kid that some idiot probably stole it, and asks if the kid wants to buy the game anyways. The kid said yes and paid for it. I didn't see any parents with him, so I couldn't help but wonder if some angry parent stormed in after I left.
    I work at an EB Games here in Houston. A similar thing happened to us at our store. We could not find the games case after about 30 minutes of looking. We concluded that the box had been stolen by some fool believing the game was inside. We asked if the customer would like top purchase the game with one of our custom made cases (it was a used game anyway) and they agreed to.

We would never sell a NEW title without the case, I'll tell you that. Was this game new?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan

I work at an EB Games here in Houston. A similar thing happened to us at our store. We could not find the games case after about 30 minutes of looking. We concluded that the box had been stolen by some fool believing the game was inside. We asked if the customer would like top purchase the game with one of our custom made cases (it was a used game anyway) and they agreed to.

We would never sell a NEW title without the case, I'll tell you that. Was this game new?
    Yeah, it was new. The clerk didn't even mark it down or anything (like I've seen at GameStop whenever a new game is missing something).

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My best missing case story comes from the time i found the Xbox Silent Scope rifle on sale for $15. I looked around for the game to go with it, and i couldn't find it. I asked the manager (a friend of mine) if they had the game. He said "We do, but you're not going to like it". He pulled out just a disc, and it was scratched all to hell. I stared at him as if he were insane. It was disc only, and it was scratched. I asked if i was getting it at used price, and he said he couldn't lower the price at all. He wanted to charge $30 for it. I stared at him some more, and he just put the disc away. Best part is, a week later someone traded the game in, case and manual included. That was about a year ago. To this day, that store has a "New" silent scope 3 with no case or manual, and a used complete game. Go figure...

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

My local Mall EB didn't keep the DC Discs in the cases as far as I know...... Now I think they don't even carry them anymore as I haven't seen any....What they do have is tons of cheap bin Sports titles for Xbox and PS2..
    Gamestop still has plenty of PS and DC games..

Awhile back at that EB..
    I took a few cheap DC games up to the counter and I hadn't looked inside of the cases as I'm used to the go get disc in drawer..The manager was ready to look in the drawer for the games and flipped one case open to get it ready for the game he was going to look for.
    He noticed it had the disc in it and his eyes popped out....All the DC and PS game were in the not sealed cases on the for..He went and checked and I hear him mumble "now what fk did this"..He wasn't happy about it....

At EB I usually go to buy the game with the case that I find on the shelves but then the disc can't be found by the employee.
    This happens often at Blockbuster..Shame is they put the case for the missing game back on the shelf.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Today..
    I go to Garden State Mall.. to get my wife's cell fixed-she was directed to go to a corporate owned Cingular store to get he sim card changed))
    I decided to look for an original Xbox Copy of FUSION FRENZY for my Son in the mall game stores...(not looking for greatest hits)
    First store I go in is Planet X/Gamestop..Bam,right on the shelf my Son sees it.$17.99 used..
    He gets it and him and my wife proceed to the counter to pay while I look at anything I may want..
    I'm looking around for quite a bit and that feeling of something must be wrong came to mind..I walk up to the counter to see what's up..
    I say to my wife I BET they don't have it..As I overhear the one employee tell the other looking through the drawer that the disc is either OUT or stolen..(WTF is OUT?)
    He states to my wife that they don't have it................ and they can't do nothing for us...F it..(they don't even have a greatest hits/other and state that the game is hard to get.
    I laugh at the employees and say..Funny shit as I was just reading about crap like this at a gaming website..
    Seeing the sad look on my Sons face killed me and I was now on a mission to get him this game even if I had to go to 100 stores to get it for him tonight..
    I go to the EB in the mall and I ask the employee there for Fusion Frenzy..He says no,none in store/also that they are hard to find.
    He notes that he can check and call the upstairs EB ,he does and they have two copies..(NICE Guy..I thanked him)
    I picked up NFL Fever 2003 for him to at $2.99..the people in the upstairs EB were nice too..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so am i to understand that that is a rare xbox game?

damn i used to see it all the time - that was my first rental too - i hated that game - now im going to be on the look out for it
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert