Thread: Omikron the Nomad Soul Question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Omikron the Nomad Soul Question

I played Omikron back when it was released on PC. I found it to be fun and quite innovative (plus I am a big bowie fan)

Well years ago my copy got borrowed by a friend who let a friend borrow it, thus it was never seen again.

I have been wanting to get another copy of this game, but this time around I was considering a console purchase as opposed to PC, but I was wondering if the console version held up or not to the PC version?

I believe it was released on DC and PSone (correct me if I am wrong) Has anyone played either of these versions? How were they?

Really I just want all of the story and concerts intact, that would be the most important. Thanks for any insight that can be given.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i plaeyd the DC one - i liked it - i was impressed with it- but i have no idea how it compares to the PC version
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ps1 version never released. I don't even think BuyAtari has this beta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have both the DC and the PC version. Had the PC one since it was released and the DC one I bought just last month. IGN has reviews of both releases (There was NOT a PSX port, only Dreamcast). IGN reviews of BOTH versions actually gives the "better graphics" nod to the DC (go figure) maybe because it was released on the PC first and when the DC version came out it was tweaked for it. The DC was more powerful than your standard PC when the game was released.

To be quite honest with you though.. I can't see much of a difference in them. I think the PC version is a little easier to control with a keyboard & mouse.. but not by much.

One nice thing about the DC version is one disc; you don't have to switch out three CDs to play the game. I actually think the DC version is easier to find nowdays as well.

BTW.. have you ever played "Outcast" for the PC? It was released at the same time as Omikron and is very comparable in gameplay and genre.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    (There was NOT a PSX port, only Dreamcast).
    There was not a psx release, but it was being worked on for the PSX. There's even in-game screenshots of the psx version in US Official PlayStation Magazine as well as ads for the psx version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BTW.. have you ever played "Outcast" for the PC? It was released at the same time as Omikron and is very comparable in gameplay and genre.
    I got both at the same time, and have just been replaying Outcast (Gotta love those Voxels.) I definitely prefer Omikron though, I love the tone, if not the FPS bits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone
    I got both at the same time, and have just been replaying Outcast (Gotta love those Voxels.) I definitely prefer Omikron though, I love the tone, if not the FPS bits.
    Yeah G-Nome used Voxel technology as well. I don't know why so many people criticized voxel use back then. If you ask me BOTh of these games looked way cool for the time. G-Nome looked 5 times better than Mechwarrior II did.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

'Tis another one of those games I already own and really ought to try sometime.

Looks like Starvector might sell you a copy, but for that price you're probably better off heading to eBay.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God, Outcast was such a flat out amazing game. Even today it looks beautiful in 512x384 (or 640x480 with the patch), something that can't be said for most other games at the same resolution. There's not many adventure games that I've played that have been nearly as immersive as it, either. Slowly learning the alien language and exploring the alien world, the excellent storyline, music, voice acting, and world design all holds up extremely well.

Shame it never got ported to the Dreamcast or PS2. It was one of those games that really showed what could be done with voxels in the right hands.

On a tangent which takes my post right back on topic, I've never played Omikron but have heard much good stuff about it (other than the control), so I think I'll dig around the thirft stores and used game stores looking for a copy.