Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSP Outselling Nintendo DS in North America

http://gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/D2...32FB93694E.htm
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/200...ld_unit_s.html

I'm really surprised. I was under the assumption it was the other way around.

[/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

Hmm...maybe MercuryNews are dumbasses?

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

The only region where the DS has a commanding lead over the PSP is Japan. In both Europe and North America it's been a neck and neck race since a couple months after the PSP launch.

I expect the DS to continue gaining over the PSP in ever region as there are still big titles expected out for it and the PSP has yet to create any hype about future titles.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually last week the PSP beat out the DS in Japan.

http://joystiq.com/2006/01/13/psp-tops-ds-in-japan/
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Which is largely due to the fact that the DS is nearly sold out across the entire nation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Slipdeath
    Or maybe, just maybe, the opinions of the Digital Press forum members do not necessarily reflect those of the public at large. Heaven forbid the PPS outsell the DS for 2005.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    Or maybe, just maybe, the opinions of the Digital Press forum members do not necessarily reflect those of the public at large. Heaven forbid the PPS outsell the DS for 2005.

lol.... well it seems there is a big N following around here, I have seen more disdain for the PSP here than I ever expected. I know some of the people here are waiting for that Killer APP for the PSP, but GTA on the PSP is more fun than MKS and electroplankton anyday in my opinion, not to say that the DS isn't fun, it is fun and fast and its pick up and playablilty is a neat function, if you don't care about graphics, then the DS is the perfect handheld.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by segagamer4life
    Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley

lol.... well it seems there is a big N following around here, I have seen more disdain for the PSP here than I ever expected. I know some of the people here are waiting for that Killer APP for the PSP, but GTA on the PSP is more fun than MKS and electroplankton anyday in my opinion, not to say that the DS isn't fun, it is fun and fast and its pick up and playablilty is a neat function, if you don't care about graphics, then the DS is the perfect handheld.
    not only does it not have any killer app, it doesn't have any exclusive apps. Lumines is still the best game for the system that you can't get (or will be able to get) anywhere else. There are a couple of RPG's I want to get but the pricetag is simply way too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Which is largely due to the fact that the DS is nearly sold out across the entire nation.
    The DS was pretty damn close to beating out the PSP that week too, which is just ridiculous.

In Japan, this handheld war is over, period. Japanese people are crazy, and the DS has a library full of crazy games for them. Bingo. Perfect match.

Nevertheless, I can't believe its still this close in America.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Killer app, no maybe not, but GTA looks and is better and more fun than MK, the best the DS has to offer. And while the games are pricey, you pay close to the same price for a DS game, while you can spend 10 or sometimes 5 bucks more and get a PSP game that is superior to the DS, socom is one game that comes to mind. 39 bucks for socom, a great port of a PS2 game, or 34.99 for a MK which is a repro of the n64 game with some GC and GBA courses thrown in for good measure. My gripe is that if you complain about the PSP price tag, then bitch about the gba, why is Mario Tennis 34.99 the same price as a DS title, if anything is wrong with pricing, its nintendo's pricing, they prices for GBA and DS games are close to that of first party PSP games, which are technologically superior. So if you hate paying for PSP games then you should be kicking yourself for paying as much for a DS or GBA game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

If you guys knew anything anything about handhelds you would know that the Gizmondo has the best games and is outselling the DS and the PSP combined....IN ALL REGIONS!!! You did know that right?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

uhh...psp has Outrun Coast-To-Coast coming out for it and also a port of the Initial D V3 Arcade Game which is going to kick ass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by segagamer4life
    Killer app, no maybe not, but GTA looks and is better and more fun than MK, the best the DS has to offer. And while the games are pricey, you pay close to the same price for a DS game, while you can spend 10 or sometimes 5 bucks more and get a PSP game that is superior to the DS, socom is one game that comes to mind. 39 bucks for socom, a great port of a PS2 game, or 34.99 for a MK which is a repro of the n64 game with some GC and GBA courses thrown in for good measure. My gripe is that if you complain about the PSP price tag, then bitch about the gba, why is Mario Tennis 34.99 the same price as a DS title, if anything is wrong with pricing, its nintendo's pricing, they prices for GBA and DS games are close to that of first party PSP games, which are technologically superior. So if you hate paying for PSP games then you should be kicking yourself for paying as much for a DS or GBA game.
    Uhh, what? $5-$15 (or even $20 at times) per game adds up, VERY quickly.

And I was refering to the system, you know, the one that costs twice as much as the DS?

EDIT: As for GTA being better than Mario Kart because it looks better, uhh, what? Are you 10? I tired of GTA and it's rehashed gameplay by the end of Vice City, so I personally have absolutely no desire to play LCS or even San Andreas. Telling me that Mario Kart isn't as good as a game I think blows is assanine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This reflects what I've experienced working here in NY state more than the DS hype over the past few months.

Wrote off the PSP beating the DS around here to regional differences due to the comments I've read here, but it appears it's doing well overall in comparison to the DS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think once the PSP gets some more quality games, like Extreme Ghouls'n'Ghosts, Outrun 2006, and Loco Roco, I could understand wanting one, but by that time, DS will likely have Metroid Prime Hunters, Super Princess Peach, New SMB, and another Castlevania.

I don't want to see either system trounce the other, and I hope the handheld market sees a strong healthy competition between PSP and DS.

I doubt the DS would have half as many quality games if it weren't for the looming threat of the PSP taking its marketshare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uhh, what? $5-$15 (or even $20 at times) per game adds up, VERY quickly.

And I was refering to the system, you know, the one that costs twice as much as the DS?

EDIT: As for GTA being better than Mario Kart because it looks better, uhh, what? Are you 10? I tired of GTA and it's rehashed gameplay by the end of Vice City, so I personally have absolutely no desire to play LCS or even San Andreas. Telling me that Mario Kart isn't as good as a game I think blows is assanine.
    Mario Kart is nice, but you have to appreciate the power of a system that can run a polished port of a PS2 game like GTA, wether or not your tired of the GTA gameplay, is a mute point, the same can be said for the rehashed gameplay of Mario Kart DS, they sure as hell didn't REVOLUTIONIZE that title for the DS... but anyway, graphics are a big part of gaming, no one wants to play a game that isn't asthetically pleasing. Back to the price issue, some games are 20, but others go for 29-35, thats close damn close to PSP prices its apples and oranges, 25 dollars for some rehashed n64 calibur games, or 40-50 for PS1-PS2 games. Your choice.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you guys knew anything anything about handhelds you would know that the Gizmondo has the best games and is outselling the DS and the PSP combined....IN ALL REGIONS!!! You did know that right?
    Hmm, that would explain why I've never actually seen one in stores.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa
    I think once the PSP gets some more quality games, like Extreme Ghouls'n'Ghosts, Outrun 2006, and Loco Roco, I could understand wanting one, but by that time, DS will likely have Metroid Prime Hunters, Super Princess Peach, New SMB, and another Castlevania.

I don't want to see either system trounce the other, and I hope the handheld market sees a strong healthy competition between PSP and DS.

I doubt the DS would have half as many quality games if it weren't for the looming threat of the PSP taking its marketshare.
    I'm not so sure about that, the entire Gameboy line went uncontested for most of it's existence (except for the period of the Gamegear) and it's always had amazing titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not so sure about that, the entire Gameboy line went uncontested for most of it's existence (except for the period of the Gamegear) and it's always had amazing titles.

amazing titles for the gb...just out of curiosity what "amazing games" are you refering to? Like FINAL FANTASY? Metroid? Just curious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Hey guy, I get it. You're a shortsighted guy who owns a PSP and refuses to believe Nintendo makes a worthwhile handheld experience.

Congratulations, welcome to the mass population.