Thread: Real Time Confilct: Shogen Empires (DS)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Real Time Confilct: Shogen Empires (DS)

Avoid this game.

I was super excited to get this game because it looked like a portable version of Risk, a game that I really enjoy but rarely find the time and people to play a full game of. It has the same look, but that's where it ends. The game is about as shallow as can be, and as far as I can tell I "beat" the game last night by playing through it and uniting the land... on my first attempt. My opponent's army killed itself by fighting the computer, and I just hopped around the board sucking up everything then.

By the way, the is the only game that I know of that uses "Real Time" in the name, yet beyond the combat the moves are turn based. Is it just me, or does that destroy the concept of a "Real Time" game? I wouldn't have minded if it was deep like Risk, but without that... well, it's just another weird bit.

Biggest disappointment of the last year or so of gaming by far. Luckily, I only paid $14.99 for it new. But I still feel ripped off. Avoid this one. Any other suckers who got it, please feel free to share in my grief
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Thanks for the heads up. I've seen it before and the $20 price tag perked my interest just a bit. Seems like one of those ghost titles that just pops up on store shelves hoping someone will buy it (guess it worked ). I've seen another title at Best Buy, something like "Dragon Buster?" Anyone heard much about that one? It reminds me of the fairly obscure PSX game "Bug Riders" (or something to that effect), except replace bugs with dragons.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    Thanks for the heads up. I've seen it before and the $20 price tag perked my interest just a bit. Seems like one of those ghost titles that just pops up on store shelves hoping someone will buy it (guess it worked ). I've seen another title at Best Buy, something like "Dragon Buster?" Anyone heard much about that one? It reminds me of the fairly obscure PSX game "Bug Riders" (or something to that effect), except replace bugs with dragons.
    I wonder the same thing about Dragon Booster (if I recall correctly?). This one is the one that made me go, "Sweet! RTS that looks like Risk! This will be a good combination. And Namco made it, they make good stuff!"

Well, I guess it goes into my "maybe someday I'll go for the whole set" collection of DS games.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dragon Booster should aslo be avoided. It's an anime licensed, crappy racing type game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was going to pick this game up used at Gamestop last month, but the clerk told me to avoid it at all costs. Another employee had bought it and traded it in the same day. He said it was really buggy graphics wise, and that there were hit detection problems in the combat.

On another note, has anyone tried Prince of Persia Battles? I heard that it is another strategy game for the DS.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard nothing but bad things about RTS and Dragon Booster. I don't think I'll be picking them up when released over here...

As for POP, it's actually pretty good. The reviews haven't been too flattering but the game is totally playable and quite fun. It is a turn-based strategy game with a card collection element. The card side of things isn't pedantic and annoying like most games that spring to mind. It just adds a slightly different aspect to your, otherwise, run-of-the-mill strategy title. It's no Advance Wars, as the reviews keep on saying, but it is a fun wee game.
    Pretty Fly for a Doom Guy...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the warning. I came very close to getting it last night for the same reasons you did, but I ended up with POP Battles instead. Sounds like another Elf Bowling.

I guess I'll keep playing Europa Universalis 2 for my hardcore strategy fix.