Thread: Current DS and GBMicro Variants

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Current DS and GBMicro Variants

I don't like pimping my own site, but I think these two pages are very cool.

Nintendo DS Variants

Gameboy Micro Variants

GBMicro one by me, DS one by my collleague Jon.

Check them out when you get the time!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very good job dude. I really need to buy myself a Famicom one.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Current DS and GBMicro Variants

Quote Originally Posted by McBacon
    I don't like pimping my own site
    I'm sure it causes you great pain.

I've always used Wikipedia for DS and GBM packaging variants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

very nice!

there's some extra information that could be included on some of the systems... for example...

pokepark is actually a different shade of blue than electric blue. the US version is a JP unit with US paperwork. even comes in a JP box still.

the pepsi blue picture is misleading. one of these has shown up on ebay, and it's the same color as electric blue (or perhaps pokepark blue). the bottom isn't white, it's the standard black. and on the cover, in the bottom right corner, is a pepsi logo and trademark information, similar to what appears to be on the carrying case and headphones if you look closely at them.

colors that are the same should be noted... the US pearl pink is the same as the AU mystic pink. the EU blue is the same as the AU cosmic blue. the JP turquoise is the same as the US teal. the JP candy pink is the same as the EU pink.

the JP red was also released separately in japan, not only as a bundle with jump superstars.

the JP red is not the same as the US hot rod red. the bottom of the US unit is silver, not black.

all silver/platinum/titanium/etc units are the same.

the electric blue bundle with SM64DS was wal-mart exclusive. other retailers offered the deal, but not as a single package together. many of those retailers also offered the game free with the silver DS as well, including wal-mart.

the glitter DS systems have a whole history that you can read about in another thread here. there's only so many of them. they're $500 or $600 for the nintendogs one. that nintendogs one was also given out on the nintendogs tour in the US. again... there's more details in a pre-existing thread somewhere. but these should have more backstory.

about the "hot summer" units... there was a last minute replacement. the change was made on nintendo's site after the contest had already started, while it was running. the silver wario one actually became a silver "Hot Summer DK" system. you should also note that the winners had the smaller line text on the front customized to say whatever they wanted.

the 50 cent DS clearly doesn't have "50 Cent" written on the front... it says "G Unit"

not sure if you were trying to match the Sundance DS systems with their winners, but i believe mohr got blue, montgomery got green, and cumming got copper. also, these were given unofficial names when they were won. i'm sure you can find them by searching for a news story about it.

the electroplankton DS systems... that top picture is what people won. basic silver DS with that circular design on the front. the bottom 2 pictures belong to Iwai.

it would also be cool to note which units come with a different colored stylus. candy pink comes with white, etc.

and it was also recently shown that, due to the shortage of DS units in japan, japanese retailers have started selling US units, making the electric blue now technically available in japan.

that's all i could come up with. not trying to be critical, but i've been wanting someone to put something like this together, and just want to see as much info available as possible.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DocRamon
    *Buckets of Knowledge*
    Thanks, I'll pass that on to my friend who wrote it, its hard to track this system, so many variants after just over a year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

haha...

i just know most of this stuff because 1) i'm a collector myself 2) i tried to make something similar a few months ago but gave up because of how many variants there are, and will inevitably be and 3) have a knack for remembering useless things like this.

btw- this afternoon i saw this on ebay...

which must mean the pink (and probably blue as well) from the EU nintendogs bundle is also sold in EU in a non-bundle form.

again... i just want to see something like this done right, so i'm trying to help out as much as i can. i'm hoping that others will do the same.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

great site! Im going to get a DS and a micro soon, so its cool to have some info on the variants. thx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just a few more things...

here's a pic of the "hot summer donkey" one that replaced "hot summer wario" in the club nintendo contest... although it doesn't have a custom message on it. perhaps they didn't follow through with this idea?

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/a...ntid=17710.jpg

and while i was looking for that pic, i stumbled upon this... it looks like club nintendo is holding another contest from now through july for it...

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/a...ntid=17709.jpg