2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Genesis "Tyrants" has hidden "Sinistar"

Has anyone ever tried this?

Sinistar mini-game:
    Enter JOOLS as a password. Press B to shoot and C to fire Sinibombs.

I own the game, guess I'll have to try this out when I get home. Sinistar was never available in cartridge format, I'm wondering if it's really Sinistar or someone's intepretation thereof?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, just a couple of nights ago I was playing Williams Arcade Greatest Hits on the Genesis, and it does include Sinistar.

I didn't try Sinistar, only Joust, Defender, and Robotron, so I can't judge Sinistar. However, I might be wrong, but something seemed OFF with the 3 I tried. They weren't at all enjoyable. I'd prefer my 5200 for Joust and Defender; as for Robotron I was always terrible at it and didn't ever play it much anywhere, so I don't know if it would be better on another console.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Oh yeah! How could I forget Williams' Greatest Hits? I guess I always think of that game as a PlayStation (and later) title.

So... anyone try the "Tyrants" version yet?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried the TYRANTS "Sinistar" thing.
    Let's just say, it's kind-of like Sinistar, but not as good.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I tried that one way back when. Like Keith said, it isn't great. Definitely NOT Sinistar, almost like a really bad public domain version of Sinistar.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMyBro
    I didn't try Sinistar, only Joust, Defender, and Robotron, so I can't judge Sinistar. However, I might be wrong, but something seemed OFF with the 3 I tried. They weren't at all enjoyable. I'd prefer my 5200 for Joust and Defender; as for Robotron I was always terrible at it and didn't ever play it much anywhere, so I don't know if it would be better on another console.
    Were you a fan of the arcade versions? If not, that may explain the discrepancy. Those three games are quite playable (well, not Robotron so much - control scheme isn't perfect), accurate and enjoyable on the Genesis cart.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't like the Genesis (nor SNES) versions of Williams Arcade Classics.. is it me or were the games oddly and *slightly* scaled down a bit.. for example Robotron.. the playfield seems smaller! Was it just my imagination?

PSX Williams arcade classics is the shit though.. I love that version, and the interviews make the package for me. What sucks though is playing Bubbles or Sinistar without analog pad support... those games suck when you can only move in 8 directions >

btw.. that Tyrants thing has me intrigued.. I'll have to try that out later tonight :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I can believe I'm just out of practice, but the Genesis versions seemed MUCH faster (& consequently harder) than the arcade versions. In Joust flap seemed less responsive and didn't provide as much thrust as I recall in the arcade, although my memory might be tainted from playing on the 5200.

In Defender things again seemed a huge amount faster. Also, it might jus tbe the TV I was using, but the bad guys looked different. For example, the landers had no legs; they were just flying balls. (Sort of like Jerry Springer guests? ba-dum-bum!)

So, yeah, I might be completely off the mark, but it didn't seem right at all to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm. You and NE1 have me intrigued. I've only ever played the Genny version on the Nomad, so I may not have noticed a scrunched screen or other minor differences. I'll try it out on a regular TV tonight and see what's up. Joust and Defender seemed fine, playwise, on the Nomad.

I do recall the flap being a bit more lively on the 5200 version, and Defender is definitely not as fast on the 5200.