Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo DS Lite RELEASED!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Anthony1, until you actually try one with a variety of games, doubt you're going to find anyone that really cares about your opinion.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hams
    Nintendo has always been about excellent product design, i guess they felt it wasn't quite all it could be.
    This might be true, but the U.S. SNES was still a fugly beast.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames
    Anthony1, until you actually try one with a variety of games, doubt you're going to find anyone that really cares about your opinion.
    Well Nintendo sure as hell better care because they need to market the DS more effectively in order to sell to gamers like Anthony1. Or a competing system (like the PSP) is going to swoop in and take that business.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    Well Nintendo sure as hell better care because they need to market the DS more effectively in order to sell to gamers like Anthony1. Or a competing system (like the PSP) is going to swoop in and take that business.
    Not really. The DS and PSP are marketed (regardless of how they're trying to market them) to two totally different audiences. Nintendo knows they can't make every single person happy and capture 100% of the handheld market against the PSP, so they're not going to try.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    Not really. The DS and PSP are marketed (regardless of how they're trying to market them) to two totally different audiences. Nintendo knows they can't make every single person happy and capture 100% of the handheld market against the PSP, so they're not going to try.
    C'mon, you don't seriously believe that argument do you? :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

What, that Nintendo isn't trying to capture 100% of the market or that they're aimed at different audiences?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I guess a touch screen would be fine for some puzzle games or something, but I don't know how I would play a platformer or a shooter or anything like that with a touch screen. It's just dumb. Period. It's a gimmick.
    Oh, come on, it can't be that dumb -- haven't more than 13 million DSs been sold? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    . . .and I don't think it was a very good idea to design an entire system around some quircky games.
    I don't know that the system has been designed around quirky games, but even if it has, this sounds like commentary from before the system was released and some people thought Nintendo had lost it. Again, 13 million units later. . .maybe Nintendo is onto something.

I suppose this could be the peak of the DS and the PSP will take over portable gaming, but so far, Nintendo is having great success.

I'm not trying to convince you to want one (I don't have one yet either), but maybe it's not such a crazy idea for a system. It might not be for you, but to state definitively that it's dumb is wrong, and over 13 million people disagree with you.

And one more thing: 13 million.

13 million.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, so I want one.

What is the deal with pre ordering these bad boys? I want to, but im afraid I won't get the color that I want. How exactly does that work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

And I just got the red mario kart edition x_x

Oh well, I guess this new credit card will come in handy...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by comrade
    Ok, so I want one.

What is the deal with pre ordering these bad boys? I want to, but im afraid I won't get the color that I want. How exactly does that work?
    Wait until it's actually announced for a US (or Euro) release and what colors will be available, then proceed as planned. I'm sure specialty stores like Gamestop and EB will be able to accomodate color concerns if preordered early enough.

Although, I don't think that getting whatever you want without preordering will be any kind of issue.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True true, but I was just looking into pre ordering from Playasia. Does anyone know how they handle preorders for hardware like this?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still think that many people who already have a DS are going to want a new one. I want a new one and look at how many people who already have one who have expressed they they would like one as well. The reason I say this because many of the DS games are multiplayer and 2 DS systems would acutally be worth it.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    I still think that many people who already have a DS are going to want a new one. I want a new one and look at how many people who already have one who have expressed they they would like one as well. The reason I say this because many of the DS games are multiplayer and 2 DS systems would acutally be worth it.
    Yeah, I got one the SUNDAY it was released in '04, and will definately be buying a new one as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    Not one person reading this topic qualifies as the average DS owner. Or PSP owner, or average in any way related to videogames. A lot of people bought the system just for Nintendogs, and I have a feeling they won't be purchasing a second unit.

I'd guess at best, they might push a million from resales.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What, that Nintendo isn't trying to capture 100% of the market or that they're aimed at different audiences?
    That the PSP and DS are aimed at different audiences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign
    Nintendo isn't trying to capture any portion of the iPod market, and that's the PSP's biggest selling point right now because it sure as hell isn't the games thats moving units.

The moderate to hardcore are still wary of adopting the PSP, and the most who are funding it are the ones who use it for the multimedia features first, and games second.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Nintendo isn't trying to capture any portion of the iPod market, and that's the PSP's biggest selling point right now because it sure as hell isn't the games thats moving units.

The moderate to hardcore are still wary of adopting the PSP, and the most who are funding it are the ones who use it for the multimedia features first, and games second.
    I'd bet you money that multimedia features (other than gaming and official UMDs) are NOT the biggest selling point to the majority of PSP buyers.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's not why I or anyone else I know purchased it. And, quite frankly, I am not a hardcore portable gamer (or really a "hardcore" gamer in general), nor are my friends. It turns out I used the multimedia functions more than the game functions, but I can assure you that the reason I purchased the damn thing was to play some portable games. The other stuff is gravy. Most people already have an iPod or something similar, and the PSP really isn't a very good replacement for a standalone device. Jack of all trades,
    master of none is the case with the PSP. Sony is releasing so many UMDs because they have nothing to release.

The DS is aiming at the same handheld portable gaming market as the PSP.

Just my two cents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

That's not why I or anyone else I know purchased it. And, quite frankly, I am not a hardcore portable gamer (or really a "hardcore" gamer in general), nor are my friends. It turns out I used the multimedia functions more than the game functions, but I can assure you that the reason I purchased the damn thing was to play some portable games. The other stuff is gravy. Most people already have an iPod or something similar, and the PSP really isn't a very good replacement for a standalone device. Jack of all trades,
    master of none is the case with the PSP. Sony is releasing so many UMDs because they have nothing to release.

The DS is aiming at the same handheld portable gaming market as the PSP.

Just my two cents.
    For the umpteenth time, no one that visits these boards, and likely their friends, are anywhere near the status quo in terms of the average gamer. The sluggish software sales and the somewhat unexpected success of UMD Movies supports this claim.

And yes, they're both aiming at portable gaming, but they both have different gaming audiences they're targeting and the PSP has the major audience of potential multimedia device owners as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

It's almost like another pocketstation