I was playing King Kong for the Xbox 360 the other night, and I was struck by how much it created a real sense of fear in me. I was in this one level, where there is all these Brontosaurus's walking by, and there is mist everywhere and there are raptors running around.

Anyways, while playing that level, you had this real sense of fear when you were out in the open amongst the mist and you knew that raptors were out there and they could be charging you at any second. But I started to think that, if only you could somehow really immerse yourself into that game, then it would really be fantastic. I started thinking about the VR headsets that were talked about in the past. Sega for some time was working on a VR headset. I think Atari during the Jaguar days was also working on a VR headset. Of course, then the Virtual Boy came out, and after it failed miserably, everybody gave up on the whole VR headset concept.

But I was just thinking how cool it would be if you could actually look down and see your feet and your legs and the grass and your arms, etc,etc. To have 360 degrees of vision in a game. To be able to turn your head around and see a raptor coming right at you. It would be a revolution for first person shooters. Imagine playing massively multiplayer games with a VR headset and running around in a virtual world with tons of other people also running around in that virtual world.

It makes me wonder what the F happened to Virtual Reality and why it just completely died out. And then of course is the question, will it ever happen? Or is Virtual Reality just a concept that will never happen, at least not in our lifetimes? I think part of the problem is health related and litigation related. From what I remember about it, Virtual Reality headsets typically give the users severe headaches after more than 15 minutes or so of use. There is also the factor of what it does to ones vision and eyesight after extended use.

Still, you have to wonder if somebody will ever take another crack at it. I can tell you that I would be interested in trying out a modern day, state of the art VR headset that had a kick ass First Person Shooter game. If it ever happens.