Thread: Gameboy Camera to PC tech question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gameboy Camera to PC tech question

I've just picked up a Gameboy Pocket so I can FINAlLY attempt to use the Gameboy Camera PC Link that I've purchased over a year ago. I've run into a small problem though. Im using a Mac, but Im using Virtual PC with Windows 98, so the PC Link software is at least compatible with my computer now. The problem I have though is that I need a Parallel Printer Port to plug the special link cable into, but my Power Mac G4 doesn't have one.

I have no idea what a Parallel Printer Port is, but I't looks exactlly like a SCSI port. Can I use a USB to SCSI adaptor to connect this thing to my Mac, or does it HAVE to be thru a PPP because it has a certian function? Have any ideas? Im clueless...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It will most certainly only work with an actual parallel port; SCSI and parallel have nothing to do with each other. I'm afraid that you're out of luck in this case, unless by some miracle you can find a USB->parallel adapter that would actually work with the software. Even in that case, Virtual PC would have to be smart enough to simulate the parallel connection via USB, and that seems even less likely.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should be careful about the kind of USB <-> Paralel adapter. Many cheap adapters are just for printer and usually have 36 pins Centronics (like SCSI port). I do know there are an USB to Paralel port that has 25 pin D connector on it, try them and do try to buy only from the stores that will accept returns for full refund with no restocking fees.

Another possibility: paralel or serial adapter, try those as Mac serial are backward compatible with PC serial (although they don't have that one line CTS I think)

Another issue: if the program's DOS or Windows 3.x based, it won't work with USB at all as DOS never had an official USB driver. i know here are a few homebrewn drivers but there's no way of telling if they'd work.

If all else fails, get a cheap used PC laptop with parallel port and serial port and use program like zTerm on Mac to do a direct serial to serial file transfer.
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games