Thread: Nintendo 64 "Not For Resale" Demo System... Hmmmm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

Default Nintendo 64 "Not For Resale" Demo System... Hmmmm.

Has anyone ever seen one of these before? I did a bit of looking online, but never really came up with anything, which makes me sorta wonder if it is legit or not... Plays fine, no problems. As far as I can tell, it looks like any other N64 system minus the stamp on the bottom. The woman I got it from says she also received it used, so no real leads there. Any help/info is appreciated

PSN: SouthRox

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I'd guess a kiosk system. There were no other stickers or something like that on it?

Strawberry (Level 2) icarwngs55's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, I saw that on ebay too. Asked the woman, and she knew nothing. Did some more research, being the demo collector I am,found it is no official nintendo. Nintendo kiosk systems were not branded but had stickers that said demo system (if anything at all). Most likely this is another smaller shop that branded themselves

Mike

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

give em $20

somethig sounds fishy, if they dont know any thing about it then why did the post that its got the branding on it?

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

This may have been in one of these N64 Pokemon kiosk Machines Blockbuster had in them..

Me=starts looking at all the bottoms of N64 systems I see at flea markets..

Cool Find..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Thats a generic brand to keep it out of some ones inventory. Some company blockbuster or more likely some small mom and pop store branded it. That way when they do inventory they don't count it as part of inventory. Either that or they were worried a part time employee they might sell the unit they have resevered for demonstration. I've seen the same brand before on other systems throught the years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari
    Thats a generic brand to keep it out of some ones inventory. Some company blockbuster or more likely some small mom and pop store branded it. That way when they do inventory they don't count it as part of inventory. Either that or they were worried a part time employee they might sell the unit they have resevered for demonstration. I've seen the same brand before on other systems throught the years.
    Correct, it's not something Nintendo does and was more than likely a small chain that did it. Now if it was a delivered kiosk machine to a large chain store, most systems said nothing to differentiate them from a stock console. Nintendo would send them at their expense, however if something went wrong and you requested replacement parts (if you were lucky) you got what you needed and the store's location was billed until you sent the faulty parts back. (most of the time they'd send you everything BUT what you requested) Nintendo was the only company that seemed to do this - it was the same way with kiosk cartridges up throught he N64 and later on GameCube kiosk discs (when they started showing up on eBay all the time).

The only company that was ever cool about this stuff was Sega during the Dreamcast era - they consistantly sent me boxes with plenty of parts, it was like a basic repair kit (controller, cables, controller mounting bracket, etc) that came everytime there was a problem. In the case of Microsoft and Sony they'd simply send out a rep. Microsoft was the only company that had a rep that consistantly came out every month. At least that was how it worked during my time with Target Corporation.

Quote Originally Posted by icarwngs55
    Nintendo kiosk systems were not branded but had stickers that said demo system (if anything at all).
    I can back that up. The first N64 console (that came with the initial Proto 2000 fixtures) had a label on it near the cartridge slot that said "NOT FOR RESALE" however it's not some official looking label, it looked like it came out of a dymo labelmaker honestly. Now about a year later I requested Nintendo (since they'd never send a damn rep) send me a replacement controller mounting bracket and they sent all new cables, a new controller, new rumble pak, and an ENTIRELY new N64 - but no mounting bracket. The second N64 they sent was devoid of any NFR label.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

[quote="InsaneDavid"]
    I can back that up. The first N64 console (that came with the initial Proto 2000 fixtures) had a label on it near the cartridge slot that said "NOT FOR RESALE" however it's not some official looking label, it looked like it came out of a dymo labelmaker honestly. quote]

Ok lets talk about this. What were the initial proto 2000 fixtures? I'm confused. Are these promo signs for varius games that were expected launch titles. Are was the N64 different in some way from the retail unit which was layter launched.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    I can back that up. The first N64 console (that came with the initial Proto 2000 fixtures) had a label on it near the cartridge slot that said "NOT FOR RESALE" however it's not some official looking label, it looked like it came out of a dymo labelmaker honestly.
    Ok lets talk about this. What were the initial proto 2000 fixtures? I'm confused. Are these promo signs for varius games that were expected launch titles. Or are you saying that this N64 different in some way from the N64 retail unit which was later launched.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    I can back that up. The first N64 console (that came with the initial Proto 2000 fixtures) had a label on it near the cartridge slot that said "NOT FOR RESALE" however it's not some official looking label, it looked like it came out of a dymo labelmaker honestly.
    Ok lets talk about this. What were the initial proto 2000 fixtures? I'm confused. Are these promo signs for varius games that were expected launch titles. Or are you saying that this N64 different in some way from the N64 retail unit which was later launched.
    Sorry, sorry, sorry - damn Target Corporation speak crept into my head. Proto 2000 has NOTHING to do with video games, it's a design setup for a series of Target Stores (white fixture). What I meant is at the time I was opening a new store and the first kiosk model came with the store fixtures. (Target Stores use non-standard game displays - Proto 2000 used an endcap that originally had a Dreamcast, N64, and PlayStation)

Sorry for the confusion.