Thread: How to use NES-to-FC adapter

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How to use NES-to-FC adapter

two posts in ten minutes? Wow, my life must really suck :P

anyways, as some of you may already know, if you break-open an NES Gyromite cart that is slightly heavier than you're other carts (mine was a five-screw, just for the record), you may just find an NES-to-FC adapter inside [I think it's the black thing] For me, however, there is two problems with this:

1.) I do not own any Famicom carts , and

2.) I do not know how this adapter works.

I may have a blunt guess at this, but could an expert please tell me how this opperates?

-thanx!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Famicom games have 60 pins and NES have 72pins. The converter simply does so you can use a 60pin game on a 72pin connector

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks jajaja, but know i'm wondering if you have to take-off the tp of the NES to use it. It's pretty easy to lose, and I once tried to use a Game Genie so that I could actually fit the thing in there.

btw, does anyone know of any good places to look for FC games? (besides the internet; cheaters :P)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

japan

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless you have a toploader NES the build-in famicom converter for Gyromite etc is not very practical. I recommend you to find a real 60 to 72 pin connector instead.

If you dont live in Japan or any other asian countries Famicom games arent easy to find in the wild. Ebay and websites are the best solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christhegamer
    Thanks jajaja, but know i'm wondering if you have to take-off the tp of the NES to use it. It's pretty easy to lose, and I once tried to use a Game Genie so that I could actually fit the thing in there.
    This is what I did to mine and it works perfectly every time (Don't mind me, I have a lot of time on my hands today):

Took a piece of scrap flat nylon cord I had (from a Walmart bookcase. The wall anchor strap.) and a hot glue gun and voila!

It was also necessary to grind off the screw guides and shave down the edges on the side that accepts the FC cartridge on the black piece, which took a little time as I do not have a Dremel, but it was worth the effort. I also added some additional hot glue to the IC pins sticking out on the bottom of the pcb to avoid puncture wounds.

All that's missing is a shiny plastic casing, but who really cares? I initially had issues with getting the converter to work because I wasn't sure which way the different pieces (game, converter, cartridge slot) needed to line up. Here are some pictures to illustrate what it looks like in action:

The game needs to be oriented with the label side of the cartridge facing up, strap across the label, and the hot glued IC pins facing up.

Label faces backwards in a top loading NES. And the strap makes it work perfectly in the old toaster (strap/label side facing down):

In the picture, the game is not seated completely in the slot, but it fits perfectly and clicks down without issue.

Hope this helps! A nice 20 minute project for when you're bored sometime.