Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Street Fighter II comparason (Gen, PS2, SNES,PC Eng)! (pics)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Street Fighter II comparason (Gen, PS2, SNES,PC Eng)! (pics)

Well it’s about time. I finally got my hands on a good ridiculously close to arcade if not arcade perfect version of Street Fighter II Championship edition. Now I can finally do a SNES-vs-Genesis-vs-PC Engine-vs-arcade review. This debate was HUGE back in the day and I finally wanted to lay it to rest once and for all. Which title is closer to the real thing?

Here’s the stuff (PC Engine not shown):

SNES- Original deck with S-Vid output and Street Fighter II Turbo

Genesis- Original Genesis one unit with composite output and Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition

PS2- Original PS2 with S-Vid output and Capcom Arcade Classics Collection/Street Fighter II Champion Edition

PC Engine Duo with composite out and Street Fighter II Champion Edition

I get to do my own comparison and on my own equipment. Screw all the EGM and Gamefan reviews, I get to see first hand now.

PS2- Capcom Classic Collection

Graphics
    Well, what can I say? Capcom ACC is as close to the arcade as you’re going to get, period. It’s all here, everything is great looking, it has the full arcade animation and has tons of shading and colors.

Sound
    Same as above, it’s just like the arcade version, perfect.

Gameplay/controls
    With the standard Playstation Dual Shock controller this game is cumbersome and clumsy. I absolutely despise using this controller for this game. Now, using the Street Fighter Arcade Stick is another story entirely. This thing rocks. The action is smooth and responsive and all those moves I memorized in the arcade came back to me instantly. Of all the controllers on the three systems this was the best to use by a long shot.

Genesis- Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition

Graphics
    I know I tend to be a bit of a Nintendo fanboy but I found the Genesis version of SFII to be a big let down in the graphics department. Look at the screen shots, they speak for themselves. The Genesis version sports the worst colors, the worst detail, the worst animation and the smallest on screen fighters.

Sound
    Completely sub par. Everything is intact but is so grainy. The soundtracks are tinny and the sampled voice effects are crap.

Gameplay/controls
    This is the Genesis version’s redeeming quality. It plays well, not as good as the PS2 but very close. I found the response to be a bit slower which made pulling off some combos more of a challenge but all in all it’s pretty fun to play. Using the standard Genesis 3-button is completely out of the question, what a pile that thing is. I even found myself disliking the clunky Genesis 6-button. Although far better than the 3-button it’s not as good as the SNES controller.

SNES- Street Fighter II Turbo

Graphics
    Decent. Not nearly as good as the PS2 but I consider it to be the middle ground between the PS2 and the Genesis. The fighters are better drawn whith more detail and better shading. The character animation also seems to be slightly better than on the Genesis. There isn’t much more background animation when compared to the Genesis version but the detail and colors are closer to the PS2 version overall.

Sound
    Again, it seems to be a middle ground. Not bad, not perfect though. The voice is all there and is arcade perfect I must say though. The music is bit flawed but tolerable.

Gameplay/controls
    Personally, I like the SNES controller for SFII. Other than a few moves I consider it to be better than the Genesis 6-button and the PS2 Dual Shock. The moves seem to be easier to pull off. Like the Genesis version the SNES version is fun to play as well.

PC Engine- Street Fighter II Champion Edition

Graphics
    It seems to be the most flawed of the bunch, or possibly not. It's kind of hard to tell. In some ways it's better than the Genesis version, in others it's not. The characters are ok in size but the color palate is the worst (at least I think so). The animation is all there though. It's kind of a tough call.

Sound
    If the SNES has the best sound and the Genesis is the worse then the PC Engine version is in the middle of the two. Not as good as the SNES but not as bad as the Genesis. The voice samples are notably better than the Genesis but again, not as good as the SNES.

Gameplay/controls
    This is the hard part. I only have the standard 2 button controller and although the moves are easy to pull off, only having 2 buttons really sucks. Like the other two (SNES, Genesis) this game is great to play…if I only had a better controller!

Here’s the in game screenshots, same level and characters for all. Decide for yourself, which looks better. (1=PS2, 2=SNES, 3=Genesis, 4=PC Engine)

(Note the use for the Japanese name for Balrog in the PC Engine version, he was originally M. Bison)

Overall the three are fun to play, with a good controller there isn’t much of a difference. If closeness to arcade perfection is what you’re seeking then the SNES wins out with better-sampled voices, graphics and sound. Like in the title of this post one winner has to be crowned so my award goes to the SNES version. It’s simply closer to the PS2/arcade version.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, there is a big difference in all of those. I'm surprised that the PS2 is the best one but yeah you can really tell the Genny one looks like crap. Great Job man. I'm gonna give you some meseta for doing this.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excellent observation smokehouse, I tip my hat to you!

One thing you'll notice between the SNES, PS2, and the Genesis is that the original arcade intro (Two guys fighting in the street) is only in the PS2 and Genesis verison.SNES left it out.

Yet the US verison of SF2 SCE on Genesis has that censored (Two white guys instead of a black guy and a white guy). While the Japanese Megadrive left it.

Also, you need to get PC Engine verison of SF2 Champion Edition my friend...then we can really put to the ultimate test :)

I won't include PS1 SF Collection, since the Capcom Classics Collection is a port of that.

Overall, awesome job Smokehouse! It's awesome to see how this game was altered from it's big brother

I like how the Genesis verison says "1up" or "2up" instead of "1P" and 2P" for some odd reason...I guess if you stomp on balrog's head you get a 1up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nothing beats the arcade version... the PS2 one has it's issues from being an arcade perfect port, but IMO it's still the best one out there.

Nice lil' piece you put together.
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh CRAP!!! I have the PC Engine version, let me make some changes!

Take a hike, wang-broom!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse
    Oh CRAP!!! I have the PC Engine version, let me make some changes!
    Awesome! Now we're cookin with gas! :D

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the FM Towns and Sharp X68000 versions, which are pretty good ports - I will take some screenshots and post them when i get the chance.

I also have the ZX Speccy, C64, Gameboy, Amiga and Atari ST versions, but they are all pretty bad and probably do not warrant a comparison...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very nice job

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pc Engine stuff added.

I'd like to see the Marty version. If you post a link I will add the picture to my post so you can do a direct comparison.

Take a hike, wang-broom!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice! You forgot the Dreamcast version though SSF X(JPN)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, I don't have a DC anymore.

Take a hike, wang-broom!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's the one thing I hate about the Genny, Damn muddy ass picture, though I love that game with the Genny 6 button contriller. SNES is awesome with the S-video IMO, hate the pad though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's why I said the SNES and Genesis version is very similar in terms of gameplay. It basically boils down to which controller you like the best.

The only reason for the SNES win is the graphics and sound.

Take a hike, wang-broom!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingCobra
    Nice! You forgot the Dreamcast version though SSF X(JPN)
    I think this thread just wants to stick with "SF2 Champion Edition". Super SF2 Turbo is for another day :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robert.rattray

I also have the ZX Speccy, C64, Gameboy, Amiga and Atari ST versions, but they are all pretty bad and probably do not warrant a comparison...
    Only one I wouldn't use, is the Gameboy one, since 3 characters are missing...E.Honda...Vega/Balrog..Dhalsim..

as for the other four, I don't know much about..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ghouls N Ghosts
    Only one I wouldn't use, is the Gameboy one, since 3 characters are missing...E.Honda...Vega/Balrog..Dhalsim..

as for the other four, I don't know much about..
    Funnily enough out of the 5 ports, the Gameboy version is the one I play the most. Its far too easy, but its good for pick up and play fun.

The speccy version is horrendous, making you search through the tape for Characters and Scenery. The C64 version looks like animated vomit, and the ST and Amiga versions were meant to be playable with a 1 button joystick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember that port well, GameBoy had a 2 player link up mode as well and had Super GameBoy feature to give the real SF character background boarders from the Arcade.

Which makes me wonder, if GameBoy could do that, then why couldn't GameBoy Color SF Alpha couldn't have 2 player mode?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really enjoyed this comparison, but I do see one small flaw in it. To truly compare the games you should probably use the same connections for the tv. S-video gives a better picture than composite does. With that said, I am probably saying that to make up for the fact that I only had the genny version as a kid... flame away or ignore it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nukie
    I really enjoyed this comparison, but I do see one small flaw in it. To truly compare the games you should probably use the same connections for the tv. S-video gives a better picture than composite does. With that said, I am probably saying that to make up for the fact that I only had the genny version as a kid... flame away or ignore it.
    There was no S-Video cable for the Genesis. But there's a way to output S-Video on the Genesis, you have to mod the system in order to output it. There're some websites that offer modding services for the Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there even a S-Video cable for the original Genesis? I can't seem to find one anywhere. I would also like one for my Duo R.

Take a hike, wang-broom!