Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Street Fighter II comparason (Gen, PS2, SNES,PC Eng)! (pics)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Genesis, by default, only outputs composite and RGB. But, using an encoder, you can convert RGB to S-Video. I'd actually like to see someone make a little adaptor dongle that fits into a Genesis 1 and provides standard S-Video and composite outputs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by robert.rattray
    I have the FM Towns and Sharp X68000 versions, which are pretty good ports - I will take some screenshots and post them when i get the chance.
    The x68000 version is labeled Street Fighter II' (Dash), which I guess is just the arcade name for Championship Edition (MAME lists most all versions of Dash as CE, as well). The FM Towns version should be the same, as Capcom said the x68000 version is listed as arcade perfect.

Also, for those who don't think the Mega Drive/Genesis can do S-Video...link. It's not really native, but from what I understand it should be roughly the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice, but you also forgot the SMS version.

I did a write up on it years ago here:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~coleman/sms/sf2.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't even know a SMS version existed....

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed looking at your comparisons, smokehouse... It's not surprising that the Genesis version is visually the least perfect, since I believe the Genesis hardware can only display 64 colors simultaneously out of a palette of 512.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse
    I didn't even know a SMS version existed....
    Brazil only, yes sir. What's even more odd, the game sold like crazy over in Brazil during the SF2 craze! I guess they didn't have the good stuff yet or too many people had a SMS already perhaps? Good ol' "Tec Toy" and their ports!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by freckledpeas
    I thoroughly enjoyed looking at your comparisons, smokehouse... It's not surprising that the Genesis version is visually the least perfect, since I believe the Genesis hardware can only display 64 colors simultaneously out of a palette of 512.
    Actually, it can display more through the use of both raster pallet changes and shadow/highlight mode. In fact, s/h mode ups the absolute limit to 1534 colors (1536 with some duplicates, like shadowed black and highlighted white). Although you can't really use all 1534 colors at once within a game, you can use shadow/highlight to increase the colors onscreen.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LocalH
    Actually, it can display more through the use of both raster pallet changes and shadow/highlight mode. In fact, s/h mode ups the absolute limit to 1534 colors (1536 with some duplicates, like shadowed black and highlighted white). Although you can't really use all 1534 colors at once within a game, you can use shadow/highlight to increase the colors onscreen.
    And if I remember, Ranger X went over 64 colors on screen.

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All these years I wondered what the apostrophe on the end of SF2 meant.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fighter17
    And if I remember, Ranger X went over 64 colors on screen.
    As did the main Sonic games. When the water level is on-screen, the games throws up some sprites over the boundary and then proceeds to change the colors (which I believe takes a few scanlines to fully do, hence the sprites).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me just say the sound for SFII games on the Genesis are a piece of shit. It hurt my ears and gave me a headache.

That is all. Carry on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I stand corrected. I just remember reading that the advertised specs (back when the original Genesis was the new kid on the block) were 64 out of 512. This was probably a big deal when compared to the NES back in the day... Sorry to you all if I posted info that was misleading...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I stand corrected. I just remember reading that the advertised specs (back when the original Genesis was the new kid on the block) were 64 out of 512. This was probably a big deal when compared to the NES back in the day... Sorry to you all if I posted info that was misleading...
    Well, it is the base maximum that can be increased with other techniques, so you were partially right. Without using shadow/hilight, however, the Genesis is indeed limited to 64 discrete colors, four pallet lines of 16 each, and each tile can choose which pallet line to use. It wasn't misleading information, so much as simplified information.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it is the base maximum that can be increased with other techniques, so you were partially right. Without using shadow/hilight, however, the Genesis is indeed limited to 64 discrete colors, four pallet lines of 16 each, and each tile can choose which pallet line to use. It wasn't misleading information, so much as simplified information.
    Ahhh... gotcha. At any rate, I appreciate the education.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i have to say that the genesis version looks worlds better than the snes. the graphics are much sharper and detailed. the color is dimmer giving away a higher level of detail. the ps2 of course is the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta!
    i have to say that the genesis version looks worlds better than the snes. the graphics are much sharper and detailed. the color is dimmer giving away a higher level of detail. the ps2 of course is the best.
    ?

It all boils down to opinions I guess...

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keiblerfan69
    Damn, there is a big difference in all of those. I'm surprised that the PS2 is the best one but yeah you can really tell the Genny one looks like crap. Great Job man. I'm gonna give you some meseta for doing this.
    I think you're being too harsh. It looks inferior, but "crap" is hardly the term I'd use.

Anyway, thanks for the comparison.

I like the Genny 6 button controller more than the SNES controller when it comes to SF2. IMO, when it comes to 2D fighters, the only gamepad better than the 6 button Genny pad is the 2nd generation Saturn controller.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

um, capcom generations vol 5 for sega saturn had SFII on it. a matter a fact it is the SFII collection. it has SFII, SFII' and SFIIT on it. it's pretty much arcade perfect to me. everything is there, and the sounds are all perfect, and THE CONTROLS! playing with a second gen Sega Saturn pad is great for this game! also it's uneditied cause it's japanese!
    MY damn fds is being stupid so i bought another, that one didn't work, so i bought another, and another and another and another.....................

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway_Recreation
    um, capcom generations vol 5 for sega saturn had SFII on it. a matter a fact it is the SFII collection. it has SFII, SFII' and SFIIT on it. it's pretty much arcade perfect to me. everything is there, and the sounds are all perfect, and THE CONTROLS! playing with a second gen Sega Saturn pad is great for this game! also it's uneditied cause it's japanese!
    Capcom Vol 5 Saturn & PSX is actually known as SF Collection Vol. 2 in America (Only released on PS1). Then re-released again on the Xbox and PS2's "Capcom Classics Collection".

The SF Collection that you speak of that's on Saturn in the USA, has "Super SF2 and Super SF2 Turbo" with SF Alpha 2 Gold on Saturn.

In other words, the US Saturn never saw a SF collection with SF2, SF2 CE, and SF2 Hyper Fighting

I agree on the controls, since the Saturn pad is godly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway_Recreation
    What do you mean, "Unedited"? Are you suggesting censorship? WHen has Capcom ever edited a Street Fighter game?

My only guess is that maybe SF2: The World Warrior and SF2T: Hyper Fighting had blood censored out when those games were ported to the SNES.