Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Street Fighter II comparason (Gen, PS2, SNES,PC Eng)! (pics)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Basically I wanted to do this post to compare the 16-bit versions of SFII Championship Edition because of all the noise generated back in the day. I remember the SNES-vs-Genesis SFII stuff being in all the gaming magazines at that time. The later PS1 and Saturn versions do not concern me. I simply used the PS2 version as a reference.

As for the Genesis having better on screen graphics I have to strongly disagree (yup, circle gets the square). To have them here, on my TV and running the Genesis simply does not hold up. I also said that gameplay however is almost exactly the same as the SNES version.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually owned the Genesis version and over and over again remember hearing that it looked horrible compared to the SNES version. Looking at those images, and then going back and playing it again today, I think it actually holds up pretty well graphically.

Controlwise, the Genesis 6 button pad was much better than the SNES controller. Truthfully, I think sound is really where the other versions kill the Genesis one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse
    As for the Genesis having better on screen graphics I have to strongly disagree (yup, circle gets the square). To have them here, on my TV and running the Genesis simply does not hold up. I also said that gameplay however is almost exactly the same as the SNES version.
    Well, if you used S-Video for the SNES and composite for the Genesis, no wonder you think the SNES looks heaps better, because it does. That's because the Genesis' composite output is complete shite. You'd do better to directly compare emulator output, as then both would represent RGB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ghouls N Ghosts
    I didn't even know a SMS version existed....
    Brazil only, yes sir. What's even more odd, the game sold like crazy over in Brazil during the SF2 craze! I guess they didn't have the good stuff yet or too many people had a SMS already perhaps? Good ol' "Tec Toy" and their ports!
    Street Fighter II PLUS Two-Button SMS controller EQUALS crap
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    Brazil only, yes sir. What's even more odd, the game sold like crazy over in Brazil during the SF2 craze! I guess they didn't have the good stuff yet or too many people had a SMS already perhaps? Good ol' "Tec Toy" and their ports!

now you can imagine how bad the atari 1 button joystick version was.

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually I have a friend who claims the Genesis version to be arcade perfect not for sound and visuals, but it's the only 16-bit version to ever have the intro which SNES and PC Engine doesn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good Lord, I knew it wouldn’t take long for some Genesis fanboys to cry foul. Listen, I’ve done this comparison with UNMODDED systems, REAL Games and Real outputs. The SNES bone stock can output S-Video, it’s not my fault that the Genesis couldn’t. I don’t care about modded systems with VGA or RGB and to me emulators do not count. The reviews back in the early 90’s were written based on the console’s output. Not modded consoles, not fucking emulators. This was a test on how it looked in 1993 when someone took these games home and popped them in. You want something else? Do your own review.

For those of you who will not shut up about the composite-vs-S-Video thing here’s direct shots taken from both systems on COMPOSITE video. No Photoshopping, no alterations. (1=SNES S-Video, 2=SNES composite, 3=Genesis composite, 4=PS2 S-vid)

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO among the four:

1) PS2 version with SF 6-button pads
    2) Genesis with 6-button pads
    3) SNES
    4) PC Engine

I think SNES and Genny are a toss up graphically (both have their own faults) but the Genny pad is tops for fighters. Remember, the three-button pad was developed long before Street Fighter. And very few non-fighters made much use of the other 3 buttons.

Also, If you don't like the "clunky" 6-button pad, try the kids' version. That's what I use almost exclusively. It looks just like the bigger version, but is smaller (obviously) and has a blue Start button.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

3=Genesis composite

that's definately my personal choice, nice colour depth to the characters, between the snes s-video versus composite, i'd choose composite, the s-video regardless of it's clarity seems a bit pale.

anyone have a megadrive pic using RGB scart?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was tlakin bout the japanese version of capcom collection, i own all 5. and only sensorship i was talkin bout was makin it so two white people fight instead of the black dude and white dude. anywho, SFII on saturn is godly! god im such a saturn whore.
    MY damn fds is being stupid so i bought another, that one didn't work, so i bought another, and another and another and another.....................

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

I was always impressed with SFII on the PC Engine, pretty faithful port for considering the processing power available.
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich

You are correct sir It's unbearable to play...but the GameBoy one did suffer from Choppy graphics as well...yet in this case, I'd rather play the GameBoy one :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I would also like one for my Duo R.
    There is no s-video cable for the Duo-R.

Only way you can get s-video for it is having the system modded.

Of corse, D-lite does offers that service

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good Lord, I knew it wouldn’t take long for some Genesis fanboys to cry foul. Listen, I’ve done this comparison with UNMODDED systems, REAL Games and Real outputs. The SNES bone stock can output S-Video, it’s not my fault that the Genesis couldn’t. I don’t care about modded systems with VGA or RGB and to me emulators do not count. The reviews back in the early 90’s were written based on the console’s output. Not modded consoles, not fucking emulators. This was a test on how it looked in 1993 when someone took these games home and popped them in. You want something else? Do your own review.
    Jesus, no need to jump anyone's ass. I'm glad you did show a SNES composite signal, as that's the way 100% of US players played back in the day, whether it be straight composite or RF. If you're wanting to use the absolute best quality output that each system offers, then get SCART RGB cables and a SweetSpot RGB capture card. You don't have to modify anything as long as you're using the original US SNES (the SNES2 doesn't support RGB).

Of course, if you're going for a comparison from the 1993 perspective, then I fully agree that composite is the only way to compare, across the board - who the hell had an S-Video TV in 1993? That was my point more than anything, that I thought it was unfair to use different connections.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LocalH
    Of course, if you're going for a comparison from the 1993 perspective, then I fully agree that composite is the only way to compare, across the board - who the hell had an S-Video TV in 1993? That was my point more than anything, that I thought it was unfair to use different connections.
    nah, i absolutely can't agree with this, for several reasons

1) games should be reviewed on the best possible hardware, with mentioning how it differs on worse hardware, noone's going to review Quake IV on a 386 PC and this goes for all parts of the hardware, including TV. You can't blame the programmers for faults your hardware produces.

2) you really think reviews back then were in composite only?? i'm pretty sure most game mags had their systems modded in the best possible way back then, not to mention they probably used review systems with probably even RGB support AND of course much better tv's than the average gamer

3) you're too much US biased in this case, Europe had RGB everywhere back then, every consumer could play it on RGB if he wanted and i think in Japan it was similar

4) your pictures can't be 100% represantative of that time anyways as you'd have to use an average tv of that time

don't get me wrong, i enjoyed the comparison (and i agree with that guy above that the genesis version looks better than snes on the 2nd row of screens, despite being a snes collector) but i just had to comment on this "it was like that back then" thing
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The reviews back in the early 90’s were written based on the console’s output. Not modded consoles, not fucking emulators.
    This is from Tim Lindquist, who worked at GameFan:

Speaking of screen shots... we started off with some really horrible composite video capture hardware. The quality of shots in issue 1 was piss-poor, but I knew from my experience hacking the Genesis and Neo Geo into arcade cabinets with RGB monitors that if I could find a screen capture card with RGB input we'd be able to grab near pixel-perfect shots and trounce EGM and the other mag's shot quality. So I dug through the ads in the back of a bunch of Mac magazines and found what I was looking for -- the Computer Friends Colorsnap 32+, which advertised RGB inputs. So I told Dave that it'd be so worthwhile to plunk down the extra dough to buy this card. He was skeptical but agreed with some reservation. When the card arrived, it came with a cable that just had BNC connectors, so I cannibalized the cable I had made for the arcade monitor, mated the two, grabbed some shots and showed him the difference. He was upset that I hadn't showed this to him sooner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    The reviews back in the early 90’s were written based on the console’s output. Not modded consoles, not fucking emulators.
    This is from Tim Lindquist, who worked at GameFan:
    thx for pretty much backing up one of my points
    -Jan

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Honestly, I like the Genny's depth of color better too. I really don't see a huge difference between the two, espically not in the size of the character sprites as was mentioned in the initial post. Stricktly from the screenshots you posted, I think they both look pretty good, though I give a slight edge to the Genny.

Now, if you wanna talk an arcade port with a big difference that no one can argue about, you're talking Samurai Showdown.