Thread: Williams FLASH pinball help needed: update 9/4/07

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Williams FLASH pinball help needed: update 9/4/07

MORE QUESTIONS IN A NEW POST AT THE BOTTOM.

Hi! I recently inherited a Williams Flash pinball machine. It's at my grandmothers house and I need to get the backbox off to transport it. All the pinballs I have seen have exposed bolts to remove the backbox. The back does not come off and there are no other exposed bolts. The manual shows a door that opens on the front of the backbox but the backglass is not hinged. I think there may be a door behind the backglass but I don't understand how to remove the backglass. It has a metal bracket at the bottom and it moves up and down some but not enough to remove it. What do I do? It quit working awhile ago but I think it may be the battery. There is some error message on the digital readout. I just want to get it home and my grandma wants it out of her house.
    Thanks, y-bot
    Last edited by y-bot; 09-04-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I Don't know about this Williams Flash pinball machine, but I'll give it shot.

There should be a Keyhole at the top of the Backglass, you turn that and then you should be able to slide up that backglass and then the bottom tilts out, and remove it.

As for the Scorebox? There should be a allen hole on the back of the playfield Box(The main unit), give it a turn with an allen wrench while holding the Scorebox and it should tilt foward and lay down on the Playfield glass, use some old carpet to rest it on or whatever?(Pillow, towel ect...). you tie it up and tilt the whole unit on the back and dolly that shizzle off.

Be very carefull! and Good Luck!

If the Scorebox is not of the hinge'd type, then I don't know? Must un-bolt from inside the scorebox?

http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pin...sh_pinball.htm

Also check this out!

http://marvin3m.com/sys37/index.htm

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It appears they've got PDF of the operator's manual at the Internet Pinball Database: www.ipdb.org

Hope that helps...
    Dude, they should have seriously put Kissinger and Nixon in their own reality/sit-com show. It would be like the odd couple.

Nixon: Is that chairman Mao on the phone?
    Kissinger: Yes, but you can't speak to him, you're too drunk right now.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gonna slide this one over to the Arcade Alley forum...

>>>SLIDE<<<
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi, I have the original owner's manual. It shows a door on the front of the backbox with a hinge on the left or right side. The pictures look like they are showing the scroreboard without the backglass on it though. I'm sure the trick is getting the backglass out. It is exactly like the one pictured in the link above. There is a metal bracket along the bottom of the backglass but nothing else. I haven't had a chance to look for a keyhole yet. In those pics it looks like there might be something at the top in the center. I've done some searching on the internet but I can't find anything. Are there any good pinaball meassage boards? I don't have newsgroup access.
    Thanks, Toby Wickwire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First, you need to get the backglass out... usually there's a metal bracket attached to the backglass that you lift, and then pull out and the glass comes out. Sometimes it's locked and you need the key to allow it to lift (the lock is usually on the top).

Once you get the backglass off, there will be a metal bracket/latch by the bottom right display... lift that and swing open the front door. Then there should be four bolts holding the head to the body, remove those, but be careful because with the door open, when you get the bolts out, the head will tip forward. You can completely remove it if you want (kinda a pain to undo all of the connectors), but I'd put a blanket on the body of the pin and just lay the head face down on the body.

You can see pics of most of the stuff here: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=871 .

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@DogP-thanks for the info. I think the lock is the step I didn't know about. I still don't understand 100% but maybe I will once I look at it.
    y-bot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, I finally got a chance to look at this again. There is a lock on the right side of the scorebox near the top as seen in this pic:

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=871&picno=19177

Does that lock need to be in a certain position to remove the backglass? It's very hard to turn. Do I need to just keep trying different positions until the backglass lifts up further? Thanks!

y-bot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There should only be about 90 degrees of rotation in the lock between lock/unlock. You'll just have to keep turning it until the glass slides up far enough to clear the bottom. Once inside, you disconnect wireing harnesses, remove the ground braid, and remove the 2 large carriage bolts. Then the head can be removed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I got the glass off, cleaned the contacts, replaced the 3 AA batteries, and now it does some things it wasn't doing before but it's still not working. At least now I can use the info in the manual and on the internet and troubleshoot it a bit more.

y-bot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is definitely the document you should check out if you haven't: http://www.pinrepair.com/sys37/ ... the first thing I'd check out is the 40 pin interconnect: http://www.pinrepair.com/sys37/index1.htm#interconnect . That's one thing I always end up replacing, and usually the only problem besides having to resolder header pins that the solder had broken on over time.

DogP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, that website looks very helpful. After I changed the batteries it seemed to be in audit mode and now it's in some sort of test mode I think. I'm gonna clean the battery connectors again and install brand new batteries just to be sure. It hasn't been abused, my grandparents have had it for 20+ years and it just stopped working one day. Hopefully it's something simple.

y-bot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah... yeah, if it's in audit mode, that's usually a good sign, and not typically a very tough problem to fix... usually either a bad connection to the battery (test the voltage across all the batteries to verify ~4.5V), or a bad 5101. If you turn the machine off and on really quickly it'll usually boot past it.

DogP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got it working 100% yesterday with the help of a professional. It mostly needed a fuse and had one bad connection. We replaced all the rubber, cleaned a few things and now it works like new. Hooray! Thanks for all the help guys.
    y-bot