Thread: Did the XBox come out in the black?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Default Did the XBox come out in the black?

So all throughout the XBox's life, I've read articles that say that M$ loses x amount of dollars for every console sold. Were they ever able to get production up enough to where they were making money on the consoles themselves, or was all their profit from game sales and Live only?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

From what i've read around the internet, the Xbox never turned a dime. If I remember correctly Gates said he wasnt out to make money on the thing, just get it in the publics mind and homes.

I think it was a huge sinkhole, but this sinkhole got them good market share, a well recognized name and an excelent followup system.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Microsoft never came close to breaking even. They're still loosing about $40-50 per system, and have lost so much on the consoles that they never came close to making it back with the software...

Then again, the xbox divison was only originally setup to be a tax shelter. They threw out enough money on the xbox so that they could write off their taxes...

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

The Xbox division of Microsoft has lost 7 billion dollars last I heard. I'd assume that goes up to whatever last financial statement they've released.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    The Xbox division of Microsoft has lost 7 billion dollars last I heard. I'd assume that goes up to whatever last financial statement they've released.
    it's a big investment for them to be sure, but they've done what sega's been trying for years, to outsell nintendo, and they did it on their first try, gotta give them credit for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Miicrosoft says that the XBOX was an experiment and they had little inttentions of making money but to "establish" themselves in the game industry.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tan
    it's a big investment for them to be sure, but they've done what sega's been trying for years, to outsell nintendo, and they did it on their first try, gotta give them credit for that.
    Anyone can "outsell" nintendo if they have a near unlimited supply of money, why should they get credit for that?
    And as far as im concerned, Nintendo the company sold more than microsoft worldwide. heck if you count handhelds im sure they "outsold" microsoft in the us.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker T
    Miicrosoft says that the XBOX was an experiment and they had little inttentions of making money but to "establish" themselves in the game industry.
    if i lost that much money on a console i would say that too

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Off-topic, kick-ass avatar, Boatofcar. I live in Hampton Roads and I watch too much public television.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Over the last couple years they have lost about a billion a year on xbox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStraw
    Quote Originally Posted by Tan
    Anyone can "outsell" nintendo if they have a near unlimited supply of money, why should they get credit for that?
    And as far as im concerned, Nintendo the company sold more than microsoft worldwide. heck if you count handhelds im sure they "outsold" microsoft in the us.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker T
    if i lost that much money on a console i would say that too
    but didn't they say that before the xbox hit the street - before they lost billions

unlimited money? -- they werent going to drop thier whole bank account on this product - they did a good job of getting the word out (which did cost a pretty penny - but it was well spent )

and if you counted handhelds then im sure nintendo out sold MS - but a pocket device is diferent than a major component in a families entertainment center. i think the perception is diferent.

i actualy don't feel either company out perfomed the other this time around - but i do feel MS accomplished alot as the rookie new comer
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Microsoft has "been a little distracted over the past few years" and is turning their attention back to PC gaming. Apparently, "the future is about PC games" is their new motto.

Xbox what?