Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Donkey Kong--"Arcade Perfect" console version?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Donkey Kong--"Arcade Perfect" console version?

I want to play Donkey Kong on a home console, but I want to be able to play ALL of the levels from the arcade game (actually I'm not so concerned about the graphics). Is it possible to do this, short of MAME?
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

AFAIK the only versions which included all the levels were the Atari 400/800 version and the C-64 version (I think). The NES version may have had it as well. There's also a Super DK prototype for the Colecovision that has the fourth level, but it has no collision detection.

Tempest

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest
    AFAIK the only versions which included all the levels were the Atari 400/800 version
    And of course it didn't get ported to the 5200. Prototype, anybody?

The NES version may have had it as well.
    I'm sure somebody can confirm that, right?

There's also a Super DK prototype for the Colecovision that has the fourth level, but it has no collision detection.
    Tempest
    Ah, perfect for clumsy me! (I have zero platforming skillz. I was bad at Pitfall before they even called them platform games.)
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think NES DK just has 3 screens. And if I remeber well, CV Super DK does have all screens but the conveyor belt screen doesn't work very well.
    ...if someone here is going to this year's PhillyClassic I would suggest to look for a special CV demo which will be showing in there. I think you will find it...interesting...from a DK point of view... <surprise, surprise>...

Eduardo Mello
    Eduardo Mello
    [url]www.opcodegames.com[/url]
    Opcode Games - Bringing new life to your ColecoVision
    Currently working on Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Arcade, Knightmare, Goonies and many others.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Sadly the NES version of Donkey Kong does not have the pie factory/conveyor belt screen, as I understand it there was not enough rom space at the time.

How times have changed!

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by opcode
    ...if someone here is going to this year's PhillyClassic I would suggest to look for a special CV demo which will be showing in there. I think you will find it...interesting...from a DK point of view... <surprise, surprise>...

Eduardo Mello
    AWESOME!!!!
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ooh I LOVE Donkey Kong and am a still a fanatic of the game (My current high score on the U.S. Arcade version is 145k made just a couple weeks ago )

As far as a home version... if you're looking for all 4 levels. They yeah, the 400/800 version is your best bet. It is too bad it didn't get ported to the 5200. But what I do is I play it on my Dreamcast using the 5200/8-bit emulator. It's pixel and sound perfect.. and since it plays 5200 roms and 8-bit games.. they all suddenly and magically become the same and the fact it didn't make it to the 5200 becomes moot. It makes for a great game of console Donkey Kong.

However that being said, I sort of prefer the gameplay of the 7800 version. But unfortunately it is missing a level. So there goes that idea.

The NES Donkey Kong looks good. But since it looks so close to the arcade.. it only makes it's gameplay deficiencies and differences from the arcade game THAT much more apparent. There's a lot in this version that differs from the arcade game. And of course the missing Pie level doesn't help much.

The Donkey Kong arcade game you unlock in DK64 for the N64 is probably one of the closest ports you're going to find. There are some slight gameplay differences (very minor). And also you have to UNLOCK the damn thing.. and if anyone here has played DK64.. you know how much of a chore that can be.

...looking forward to the CV version Mr. Mello

But the closest console version of Donkey Kong you are going to find? Play it via Mame on the Xbox. That way you can choose the Japanese version (my preferred choice). Or the U.S. version as well... which DOES make a difference

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

As far as a home version... if you're looking for all 4 levels. They yeah, the 400/800 version is your best bet. It is too bad it didn't get ported to the 5200.
    There's a reason for that. Coleco owned the home console rights to DK. The only reason the 400/800 version got released was because it was for a "computer" and not a "Video Game System" (see the difference?).

However nothing is stopping anyone today from porting the 400/800 version to the 5200 (well there are copyright issues, but I doubt Nintendo would care), but I can't really see why you'd want to. Maybe sometime in the future...

You might want to check out the 400/800 version of DK Jr. as well. It's still one of my favorite games of all time.

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a reason for that. Coleco owned the home console rights to DK. The only reason the 400/800 version got released was because it was for a "computer" and not a "Video Game System" (see the difference?).
    Yep.

... However, venturing off into never never land, could you imagine how it would've been if for some odd reason of fate, it was ported? Man.. because it truly wipes the floor of the original CV version. :P Not to mention it's one of the best arcade ports on the Atari 8-bit.. which says a lot. It's one kick ass game. The 5200 would've seemed a lot more "mightier" on the stage of history on the basis of that one game.. aahhh to dream.

However nothing is stopping anyone today from porting the 400/800 version to the 5200 (well there are copyright issues, but I doubt Nintendo would care), but I can't really see why you'd want to.
    Maybe as a curiousity. But yeah, at this point in time.. especially with emu's such as the DC emulator being so pixel perfect, the point is pretty much moot. If not for the only sicko thrill of holding a 5200 controller in hand in front of your 5200 console with a cart with a donkey kong silver label on it... but that would only appease us sickos :P It would be kinda funny though eh....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Skip the 4-screen ColecoVision version. It's a sham.

There is a 4-screen version for the NES. It has the intermissions, and such. Unfortunately, I've only seen it and played it at one person's house, and have never seen another copy since; but be assured, it wasn't a "bootleg" copy, and it really does exist. It's just very difficult to find.

The Commodore-64 version is excellent, and the Atari computer version is also good, though the graphics are not as good as some other versions.

If Opcode is planning on programming a ColecoVision version, then you'll have another excellent version to choose from. Be assured, I will most certainly purchase a cartridge copy.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aswald
    There is a 4-screen version for the NES. It has the intermissions, and such. Unfortunately, I've only seen it and played it at one person's house, and have never seen another copy since; but be assured, it wasn't a "bootleg" copy, and it really does exist. It's just very difficult to find.
    What did the cart look like? Box? Can you get in touch with your friend to get scans and such?

Can anyone else confirm? Sounds like a holy grail if ever there was one.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

The cartridge itself looked pretty much like the others, as I recall.

Pity I didn't have the 4-screen version of Donkey Kong Jr. for the ColecoVision. Even though it could use a bit of tweaking here and there, it would've been the featured game then.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe it was ported from the Famicom Disk System... Many games originally created for the disk system got released in cart form a few years later...
    Eduardo Mello
    Currently working on Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Arcade, Knightmare, Goonies and many others.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pity I didn't have the 4-screen version of Donkey Kong Jr. for the ColecoVision. Even though it could use a bit of tweaking here and there, it would've been the featured game then.
    Look for it at PhillyClassic too... Just to keep my motto: "Pay for one, get two"...
    Eduardo Mello

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by opcode
    Look for it at PhillyClassic too... Just to keep my motto: "Pay for one, get two"...
    Save me a copy, please! Yahoo, after 21 years, a good version of the game! This year is looking a bit better...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think the Game Boy version the totally Arcade perfect version, and has 99 extra levels after that (Although my GB collection is packed up and my memory is getting kinda 'wonky', correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmmm are you sure about this? Was there ever a rom dumped? Joe do you know of such a game?

Was it a FDS game?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, if someone has this full version of Donkey Kong for the NES, I want it!
    And as for you, Eduardo... how do you find the time to make all these games? Not that I'm complaining, of course. In fact, I'll be watching this ColecoVision version of Donkey Kong very, very closely...
    Tom, the Game Boy version of Donkey Kong isn't a close arcade translation. It's got all four levels, but they're truncated and Mario can clear them quickly thanks to all-new abilities designed for the puzzle rounds. It was basically included to strengthen the ties between it and the arcade original.
    NE146, the president of Nintendo nearly tore the ColecoVision CEO's head off when he discovered the Adam version of Donkey Kong! There was a reason Atari didn't dare make Donkey Kong for the 5200... Yamauchi would have went ape shit over it. (sorry, couldn't resist the pun)

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    NE146, the president of Nintendo nearly tore the ColecoVision CEO's head off when he discovered the Adam version of Donkey Kong! There was a reason Atari didn't dare make Donkey Kong for the 5200... Yamauchi would have went ape shit over it. (sorry, couldn't resist the pun)
    Guys.. hello I know this. This is ME you're talking to so come on stop trying to "enlighten" me on videogame history :P

I'm not asking "why" it never made it to the 5200. I was saying "what if" ooooh la la it would've been SWEET

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Play the Vic-20 version! Seriously. It's probably the best arcade port available for the tiny little computer. It's got all four screens in the proper order, and has most of the intermission animation in tact. To this day, I'm still pissed that the cartridge pooped out on me when I was a few years old.

And this mysterious NES version with all the screens has me quite intrigued...