Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Donkey Kong--"Arcade Perfect" console version?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As long as you're considering the 400/800 version as a console version you might as well consider the ADAM versions of DK and DK Jr.. I recall it being very good with intermissions and all levels. The 32k "ADAM version" CV rom is not the ADAM version but a hacked down version to fit into a CV cart rom. I think I read that the TI99 version is excellent and very accurate. DK is on the correct side, unlike the CV version, and it also has the "how high can you get?" intro screen which almost all seem to be missing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

The 400 version has the "How High Can You Get?" screen too. I also just found out it has the girder stomping intro as well (you just have to let it sit for a few seconds).

Tempest

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    I think the Game Boy version the totally Arcade perfect version, and has 99 extra levels after that (Although my GB collection is packed up and my memory is getting kinda 'wonky', correct me if I'm wrong)
    Nope, it's not arcade perfect. The first few levels are more of a nod to the arcade version than anything else. Still, it's a great game!
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One word of warning in regards to the 400/800 Donkey Kong "Pie Level" that I forgot to mention. Once you get there, the game throws out MASS FIREBALLS in what seems like an endless stream. This differed from the arcade game which would only send out the same amount of fireballs as the stage you were on (i.e. level 1 = one fireball, 2= 2 fireballs, 3= 3 fireballs, etc.).

Which kind of sucks for the 400/800 version since it makes it really really difficult to clear the stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Absolutely certain. It was an NES cartridge, I played it back in 1997/1998, and it was complete. Having only played the rather inferior CV version all these years, I sure wasn't going to miss something like that! I'll see if I can find these people, and ask about it.

If Opcode is doing a CV version, then it will be great. Save a copy for me, please!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So today I played the NES version and the 2600 version of Donkey Kong. I'll admit that the NES version looks a lot better, and while the 2600 version is super easy- it's only 2 stages.

Then I came here and decided to find out if there is an even better console port of this game available.

So I gather:

-That there are 4 level versions available on the Atari 400/800 computers.
    -There is also a 4 level unlockable version on DK Country.
    -and you can get the 4-level via MAME (I would assume)

These aside, have any arcade perfect versions been released since this thread was created? Either via download or a homebrew cart?

I don't think I've ever played the actual arcade version of this, so I'm curious to know if there are any new developments. I've been searching the internet a bit, and from the little I've read- I don't think things have changed a lot.

I noticed in this thread Aswald mentions a 4-stage NES version, which I had never heard of until now. Anyone else ever hear about this? There was also a mention of a good homebrew version in the works... did this ever happen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The NES version has three stages. I've got Donkey Kong Classics here, but don't want to hook up my NES, but I'm sure there are only three. Wikipedia seems to back me up.

The game was ported to the Famicom in 1983 as one of the system's three launch titles; the same version was a launch title for the Famicom's North American version, the NES. However, the cement factory level is not included, mainly due to storage limitations.
    The Gameboy Donkey Kong has 4 stages, but it doesn't play a damn thing like the original. You can do backflips, super jumps, toss the hammer, etc...
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 04-17-2009 at 08:43 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    The NES version has three stages. I've got Donkey Kong Classics here, but don't want to hook up my NES, but I'm sure there are only three.

Yeah I know that... I was playing DK classics for a few hours today. The atari has only 2 stages. The NES version looks good, but it's lacking a stage. But yeah, I was playing both today and realized that they weren't true arcade ports- so I was wanted to know if there are any nowadays. Maybe even an "arcade classics" type collection that may have been released in the last 6 years on a home console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't Donkey Kong 64 have a perfect version as well?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Didn't Donkey Kong 64 have a perfect version as well?
    I said DK Country above, but I believe it's DK 64- my bad. At least one 16-bit or later Nintendo console has it, but it's only available as an unlockable.

But has there been an arcade perfect release that hasn't been covered in this thread already, released after 2003? I know about the versions released before 2003 on home consoles.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 04-17-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think there is a truly arcade perfect port on any home console outside of emulation.

Donkey Kong 64's unlockable is the closest you'll get, but there are very minute differences that someone who plays the game a lot will notice.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, this thread got bumped after being dead for over six years.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There is an arcade-perfect DK for home computers. On the Tandy/Radio Shack Color Computer 3 of all things.

http://www.axess.com/twilight/sock/dk/
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

The TI 994a Atarisoft version had the pie factory. I assume the c64 was also Atarisoft so perhaps all Atarisoft versions have it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am guessing no one ever found the NES game with all four levels? I want to know the true story behind that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    So I gather:

-That there are 4 level versions available on the Atari 400/800 computers.
    -There is also a 4 level unlockable version on DK Country.
    -and you can get the 4-level via MAME (I would assume)
    And as mentioned, there's the ADAM "Super Game Pak", which is not to be confused with the hit-detection-lacking ColecoVision version.

I guess Opcode never got any further with that one either.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, the N64 version in DK64 is definitely the best home console version, no question. It is too bad that you can't just access it and Jetpac from the menu and instead have to go to the warp point in the factory level where the arcade machines are and play them from there, and have to have gotten pretty far into the game to have unlocked them, but once you've done that, or get a copy which had gotten that far already, it's a great, near-perfect version of the game. I certainly can't tell the minimal differences referenced earlier in this thread... maybe someone who played the arcade game a lot could, but overall it's really, really good.

If the NES version had had all four levels that one would be nearly as good, but as it doesn't, this one's about as good as you'll get.

My favorite Donkey Kong game is probably the Game Boy game, but it's a completely different kind of game; after quickly running through small versions of the four original levels, the main game starts, which is a 96 or so level long puzzle-platformer. Awesome game, one of the system's best really... but very different in focus from the original arcade game for sure, and the arcade levels in it are so easy with the game's new moves (backflip, triple jump, etc) that you get through them in notime. Of course, you're supposed to, to progress to the main game...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure why the C64 hasn't been mentioned more in this thread. That version has all 4 levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rittwage View Post
    There is an arcade-perfect DK for home computers. On the Tandy/Radio Shack Color Computer 3 of all things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    The TI 994a Atarisoft version had the pie factory. I assume the c64 was also Atarisoft so perhaps all Atarisoft versions have it.
    I guess most of the home computer ports were done by Atari, and they included all 4 stages. It looks like Coleco dropped the ball with the console ports and none are really that great- from what I've read anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    And as mentioned, there's the ADAM "Super Game Pak"
    I looked around and couldn't find a whole lot on this version- does it lack hit detection too? Or is it similar to the PC ports of the day? And forgive my ignorance, but is it a floppy or a cart?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I guess Opcode never got any further with that one either.
    I guess not, considering no one talked much about it after this thread was originally posted. Sounds like it could have been cool- I wonder what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    I don't think there is a truly arcade perfect port on any home console outside of emulation.

Donkey Kong 64's unlockable is the closest you'll get, but there are very minute differences that someone who plays the game a lot will notice.

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Yeah, the N64 version in DK64 is definitely the best home console version, no question.
    Thanks for the detailed info on the N64 version. Sounds like this may be the version most accessible to me. I guess I could pull out the Gameshark and cheat my way to completing the game, provided there is a code. I'd be picking it up purely for this though, as I'm not really big on any of the SNES or N64 Donkey Kong platformers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post
    Play the Vic-20 version! Seriously. It's probably the best arcade port available for the tiny little computer. It's got all four screens in the proper order, and has most of the intermission animation in tact. To this day, I'm still pissed that the cartridge pooped out on me when I was a few years old.

My cart crapped out on me too! This version often gets overlooked, but really is not too bad if you look past the graphics.

Also, there is a disk version(Hack?) of Donkey Kong on the C64 that are better than the atarisoft versions. One of my favorites
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist