Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Donkey Kong--"Arcade Perfect" console version?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    I seem to remember one having to beat the Arcade version of Donkey Kong in order to beat the game, Donkey Kong 64. You have to beat it to get some token to continue or something. I remember all of the levels being present but it was 9 years ago since I last played it so I may be tripping or something...
    I'd completely forgotten that, but you're right... you did have to play through it. I talked about how you access it in the game earlier in this thread, but I'd forgotten that about the reward for beating it once...

I don't know if you got anything for playing Jetpac, though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

There is a cartridge version for the NES that has 100% complete versions of DK and DKjr. It has the beginnings and intermissions, too. I played it back around 1997.

It was NOT on the Super Nintendo, but the NES. So it does exist, although I have yet to see it again.
    Interesting stuff, here (COMPLETELY unbiased opinion, hehhehheh):

http://griswaldterrastone.deviantart.com/

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aswald View Post
    There is a cartridge version for the NES that has 100% complete versions of DK and DKjr. It has the beginnings and intermissions, too. I played it back around 1997.

It was NOT on the Super Nintendo, but the NES. So it does exist, although I have yet to see it again.
    Nope. It never existed, ever. Not even in prototype form. As others have said, it's common to remember things incorrectly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Sorry, but this one did. If there's one thing no one here will ever accuse me of (small as that list may be), it's not knowing an NES when I see one. I've done too much repair work on mine not to.

When I bought mine in 2000, one of the games I picked up for it was- of course- DK. I was amazed that it DIDN'T have everything; in fact, I picked up a few more, assuming I'd picked up an "earlier" version.

While the people who owned that NES (and CV) have moved away, the parents may still be across the street from where they lived. I'll see if I can contact those people, and ask if they are interested in selling it.

Don't forget- there are people right now who swear that CV Lord of the Dungeon is just a rumor- and I actually have the game!
    Interesting stuff, here (COMPLETELY unbiased opinion, hehhehheh):

http://griswaldterrastone.deviantart.com/

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So it does exist, although I have yet to see it again.
    Probably because you played it in a dream. As Arcade Antics stated, it simply doesn't exist. NES DK Classics indeed has both DK and DK Jr., but the version of DK is the same (incomplete) version that was on the original black box release (cement factory is missing).

Do you really believe that a complete NES DK exists, but among thousands of Nintendo enthusiasts you're somehow the only one who has played it? This is like some silly 4th grade schoolyard argument where some kid claims his dad/friend/etc. has some game that doesn't exist (and when you ask him to prove it, the person who supposedly had it "gave it away").

Don't forget- there are people right now who swear that CV Lord of the Dungeon is just a rumor- and I actually have the game!
    Huh? I don't know who exactly you're referring to, but CV LotD technically doesn't exist (as a production cart). There's a prototype, which Sean Kelly (and perhaps others) have duplicated and sold as aftermarket reproductions.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a little off topic, and because I didn't find a thread concerning this question exactly...

But how arcade accurate are the NES versions of Donkey Kong Jr. and Donkey Kong 3? After searching the web for a bit, I found no information saying there were any major differences. Are there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    But how arcade accurate are the NES versions of Donkey Kong Jr. and Donkey Kong 3? After searching the web for a bit, I found no information saying there were any major differences. Are there?
    I reckon the NES version of Jr. is missing the "Mario's Hideout" level. Score another one for the ADAM!
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Just a little off topic, and because I didn't find a thread concerning this question exactly...

The level order is the one common thing that's screwed up on all of them. Just like with NES Donkey Kong, you just do the three or four levels in succession instead of the 1-4-1-2-4-1-2-3-4 progression of the arcade. In addition, the arcade version of Donkey Kong Jr has digitized monkey screeches. Donkey Kong 3 on the NES is graphically inferior, somewhat. The arcade version has a background drawing to make it look like you're encased in a glass greenhouse, but the NES version just has a flat black background.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info. But the way I understand it too, is that the Japanese versions contain the levels in a linear order (or different order than the American arcade)? Or is that incorrect?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I reckon the NES version of Jr. is missing the "Mario's Hideout" level. Score another one for the ADAM!
    No, the NES port of DK Jr. has all four screens.

Thanks for the info. But the way I understand it too, is that the Japanese versions contain the levels in a linear order (or different order than the American arcade)? Or is that incorrect?
    That is correct.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I don't recall, anytime in the last 10 years, Nintendo even acknowledging the fact that they once made arcade games.
    the mario trophy on super smash bros melee mentions mario's first appearance was on the donkey kong arcade machine in 1981

but yeah, nintendo likes to pretend they invented video games in 1985

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    The level order is the one common thing that's screwed up on all of them. Just like with NES Donkey Kong, you just do the three or four levels in succession instead of the 1-4-1-2-4-1-2-3-4 progression of the arcade.
    Well really.. the 1-2-3-4 linear progression as mentiond above IS the original arcade order. It was only in the U.S. version that it got changed around.

Personally I grew up with the 1-2-3-4 since all the machines I played as a kid were jap. But these days I find the u.s. level progression much more interesting to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    Well really.. the 1-2-3-4 linear progression as mentiond above IS the original arcade order. It was only in the U.S. version that it got changed around.

Personally I grew up with the 1-2-3-4 since all the machines I played as a kid were jap. But these days I find the u.s. level progression much more interesting to play.
    Wow, I did not know that And I agree with you...the US level progression is superior.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    But these days I find the u.s. level progression much more interesting to play.
    I agree. Drawing from the shortened NES version as a comparison. Whereas in the NES version all stages are given to you right up front, I prefer that you're "rewarded" for your effort on the arcade version. Although the NES version is somewhat easier because the platforms and enemies move slower, the arcade version offers a better level structure (making it more fun to play).
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 05-21-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one interesting thing about the U.S version is U.S. players never got to see the pie & the elevator levels at their "level 1" difficulty.

In the U.S. version:

1) By the time you get to the elevator stage, it's Level 2 and the elevators are already moving fast, and the jumping springs come out at their 2nd level of speed. If you play the jap version you can see the level 1 where everything is slow and only one spring comes out at a time.

2) By the time you reach the pie factory (conveyer belt stage) it's level THREE and the conveyer belts move fast, and 3 fireballs come out. If you try the jap version you can see the slow conveyer belts and only 1 fireball comes out. Level 2, two fireballs come out, etc.

Anyway.. just some little trivia / minutiae

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quick question about the 4 level DK game for Aswald...
    Was the DK game on a multi-cart or was it a stand alone cart? I would tend to believe there is a slight chance it might be on some weird multi-cart, but as a stand alone title....zero chance. Either way, I can't imagine someone else not knowing about.

Also, if it was not on a multi-cart, did the label look the same?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    And as mentioned, there's the ADAM "Super Game Pak", which is not to be confused with the hit-detection-lacking ColecoVision version.

I guess Opcode never got any further with that one either.
    Which one? I have a port of Donkey Kong in the makings, should be out next year.
    You can see some mock-up screens here (http://www.opcodegames.com/dkarcade.htm) and I believe I posted a few ROM images showing the intro at the AA forums a couple of years ago. Donkey Kong Arcade will include all 4 screens, both Japanese and US versions of the game, plus a fews bonuses. I can demo it in the next NAVA I attend, in case someone is interested.
    Last edited by opcode; 06-02-2009 at 01:13 PM.
    Eduardo Mello
    [url]www.opcodegames.com[/url]
    Opcode Games - Bringing new life to your ColecoVision
    Currently working on Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Arcade, Knightmare, Goonies and many others.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well today I got lucky when browsing a thift in Gastonia. They had a bunch of NES, N64, and SNES games- including Donkey Kong 64. I searched online a bit to see if there was any way to unlock the arcade original without having to play the game. There is, but you have to collect a bunch of shit thoughout the game, and then it's available for direct play via something called the Mystery Menu.

Turns out, some nut before me must have unlocked this, because through a little searching I found I could access it directly. Awesome, now I don't have to play DK64.

So I went ahead and played a few rounds to see if it was indeed accurate. While it does seem an accurate arcade translation, it is NOT the American arcade version. NE146 mentioned that the level progression in the Japanese version is 1-2-3-4, and it seems this is the version that's emulated here.

Other than it not being the American arcade version here are some things I've noticed while playing it (only for a short period of time).
    -all character animations are present
    -the music and SFX sound a little more "sleek" than the arcade
    -the N64's trademark blur-o-vision makes the game look ugly compared to the arcade. Other than the smearing, bad colors, and blurriness, it seems the graphics are all accurate at least.
    -the enemies seem to have slightly better AI than the arcade. They seem to scatter faster once you grab a hammer.
    -you can use either the analog joystick or D-pad to control jumpman. I would recommend using the D-pad, if you plan on going for a high score. (I played 2 games, and was able to make it to the 1st screen of level 3. I scored approx. 55000)

Anyway, I know DK has been talked to death lately around here (and I'm partly to blame), but I'd thought I'd share this info with everyone. If you're looking for the best DK version on a console, this would probably be the one. But if you want the DK you remember playing in the (American) arcade, I'd guess MAME is your best bet.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 06-18-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Super DK cassette for the CV **DOES** exist with all four levels. I seem to remember the packaging of the box was shaped like the arcade cabinet. I owned both Super DK and Super DK Jr. I wish I saved those boxes =-( Here is a youtube of the game in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1DsIUVmzoI
    My Arcade Collection - http://www.ggdb.com/Collectors/ViewMember.aspx?mid=394
    Southern California Classic Collectors (SC3) - http://www.sc3videogames.com/
    3DS: 5370-0932-2395
    Wii U: SysOp Miiverse: The_MCP
    PSN: shertz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by shertz View Post
    The Super DK cassette for the CV **DOES** exist with all four levels. I seem to remember the packaging of the box was shaped like the arcade cabinet. I owned both Super DK and Super DK Jr. I wish I saved those boxes =-( Here is a youtube of the game in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1DsIUVmzoI
    Hey, cool! thanks for sharing that.