Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Donkey Kong--"Arcade Perfect" console version?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by shertz View Post
    The Super DK cassette for the CV **DOES** exist with all four levels. I seem to remember the packaging of the box was shaped like the arcade cabinet. I owned both Super DK and Super DK Jr. I wish I saved those boxes =-( Here is a youtube of the game in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1DsIUVmzoI
    Surely that must be a repro cart in that video? I don't believe ADAM cassettes would have the Colecovision BIOS screen in them, and the "SUPER DK!" on the title screen looks might suspicious too.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 4-screen Coleco version still lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by shertz View Post
    The Super DK cassette for the CV **DOES** exist with all four levels. I seem to remember the packaging of the box was shaped like the arcade cabinet. I owned both Super DK and Super DK Jr. I wish I saved those boxes =-( Here is a youtube of the game in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1DsIUVmzoI
    At least it has the 4th screen.... But it's lacking. I prefer the Atari 400 version, because here are TEN litmus tests it passes, which - in my opinion - make it a superior game, although the graphics aren't quite as impressive upon first glance:

1. The barrels are not animated with the same "bounce" characteristics as the arcade. This is a nuance, but it is missing.

2. The controls are still touchy - you must be EXACTLY centered under a ladder or he won't go up; one pixel off and you could be dead. The Youtube video here shows this happen when he's right at the top of one of the barrel rounds (and he says "s**t") See exactly 2:35 into the Youtube video above for the finest-of-all example of what I mean.

3. The "rivet" screen is missing a level, as it should have 4 pairs of rivets to pull. It is also not blue, as it should be.

4. The fire is lacking in detail and animation. It is drawn completely static, although it does flip over when changing directions, so at least it's better than the 2600 version!

6. When striking things with the hammer, they just disappear without an animation burst, as they should. Additionally, the hammer animation is deplorable.

7) The sounds are considerably inaccurate to the arcade. This is particularly noticable with the "jump" sound, which is absolutely NOT even close, but running sound as well.

8) The elevator level completely lacks the bouncing springs!! Hello!!!

9) When you die, the appropriate (or approximate, rather) sound plays, but your man just freezes up while the sound plays. No tumbling and halo display!

10) In the barrels level, there are no THROWN barrels which skip down the girders to hit you.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

11. The barrel level is backwards.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Come on... Have all of you forgotten about the Donkey Kong port in Donkey Kong 64? That one is probably arcade perfect My review of all Donkey Kong games will be done some day soon.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alexander4488 View Post
    Come on... Have all of you forgotten about the Donkey Kong port in Donkey Kong 64? That one is probably arcade perfect My review of all Donkey Kong games will be done some day soon.
    You must have not read the thread well, because numerous people have mentioned this. In fact, I did a mini write up only a few posts back, yesterday even. I hate quoting myself, but here it is.

Well today I got lucky when browsing a thift in Gastonia. They had a bunch of NES, N64, and SNES games- including Donkey Kong 64. I searched online a bit to see if there was any way to unlock the arcade original without having to play the game. There is, but you have to collect a bunch of shit thoughout the game, and then it's available for direct play via something called the Mystery Menu.

Turns out, some nut before me must have unlocked this, because through a little searching I found I could access it directly. Awesome, now I don't have to play DK64.

So I went ahead and played a few rounds to see if it was indeed accurate. While it does seem an accurate arcade translation, it is NOT the American arcade version. NE146 mentioned that the level progression in the Japanese version is 1-2-3-4, and it seems this is the version that's emulated here.

Other than it not being the American arcade version here are some things I've noticed while playing it (only for a short period of time).
    -all character animations are present
    -the music and SFX sound a little more "sleek" than the arcade
    -the N64's trademark blur-o-vision makes the game look ugly compared to the arcade. Other than the smearing, bad colors, and blurriness, it seems the graphics are all accurate at least.
    -the enemies seem to have slightly better AI than the arcade. They seem to scatter faster once you grab a hammer.
    -you can use either the analog joystick or D-pad to control jumpman. I would recommend using the D-pad, if you plan on going for a high score. (I played 2 games, and was able to make it to the 1st screen of level 3. I scored approx. 55000)

Anyway, I know DK has been talked to death lately around here (and I'm partly to blame), but I'd thought I'd share this info with everyone. If you're looking for the best DK version on a console, this would probably be the one. But if you want the DK you remember playing in the (American) arcade, I'd guess MAME is your best bet.
    If you played this game in U.S. arcades, the level order is completely different in the DK 64 version.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 06-19-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by wood_jl View Post
    I prefer the Atari 400 version, because here are TEN litmus tests it passes, which - in my opinion - make it a superior game, although the graphics aren't quite as impressive upon first glance:
    Does it also have the fireballs on the bottom level of the barrels stage? (That fireball was in a frequently shown "artist's rendition" of CV Donkey Kong. It often confused me.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    You must have not read the thread well, because numerous people have mentioned this. In fact, I did a mini write up only a few posts back, yesterday even. I hate quoting myself, but here it is.

If you played this game in U.S. arcades, the level order is completely different in the DK 64 version.
    Oh, sorry. I just scanned a few pages quickly and didn't see any mention of Donkey Kong 64. But yeah, the unlockable arcade game is the closest thing we have to the real thing in a video game console, I believe.