Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Run'n Gun games: Get you the hot bullets of shotgun to die!!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Noting of the Contra series, I'd think the best is by far the Hard Corps [Gen]. In that edition there's less of your actual "run and gun", and more very classy boss fights.

I'd note the J version has some significant differences from the US and EU versions [such as being quite a bit easier, and even an OK storyline to boot].
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I actually agree Haoie; right now I'm split between between that one and Super Contra (arcade) for my favorite in the series. The US/EU versus JP differences have kept me from picking up any copies besides the Japanese one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think I've seen a Turrican mention other than a "it was inspired by Turrican" tidbit??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alien Soldier

or are you doing import games?
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alien Hominid fits this genre imo. A fun little game, if a tad on the Metal Slug Rip-Off™ category.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I don't supose, GainGround counts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    I don't think I've seen a Turrican mention other than a "it was inspired by Turrican" tidbit??
    Turrican is for me one of the defining games of the industry, even if I didn't grow up with it.

As stated before, I was going after more exotic games.

Alien Soldier: Yes. If it's a game that fits the categories of having gameplay like that found in a Contra game (preferably 2D ones, but there will have to be 3D mentions as well, Kurt's already got some up at the Contra H.Q., and I can think of more on the PSX), it can be included.

Alien Hominid, yes, you beat me to it We love it, bugs and all.

Gain Ground, definitely, that and GG SX (PC-Engine only, great game).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Gungage for the psx would be a good choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Game looks great, thanks! More games to add, hooray!

Feel free to write up reviews for stuff, people. I'll put them up on the site. Even just mentioning games that haven't been mentioned before is a bit of a help, because it saves me a bit of time trying to think of them

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

journey to silius? has anyone mentioned this one? nice graphics at least.

and again gunsmoke

I have either been to your shrine before, or there is another shrine on the web.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie_says_relax
    With all the recent "Imagine" series (which are pretty much VERY sexist representations of what "young girls" should "enjoy" doing - Imagine Cooking, Imagine Fashion, Imagine Babiez) I was thinking that they should just combine them all into one title. It would be much more fun ...
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...kingBabies.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Teknik_SE-R
    journey to silius? has anyone mentioned this one? nice graphics at least.

and again gunsmoke

I have either been to your shrine before, or there is another shrine on the web.
    I'm collecting a bunch of links - man, some of the reviews I've found out there for obscure stuff like SAR are really well done, puts my dry "just the facts, ma'am" style to shame.

Currently, the Contra H.Q.'s page is still essentially all Kurt's work. All I've done since the takeover is add an update, edit a few links, and that's about it.

(Also, if anybody would be interested, a site redesign would be great...just throwing that out there ;)

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Soldiers of Fortune/Chaos Engine

That was an awesome game. Had a sequel in Europe I think, but I don't recall the name of it or what system.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yup this is the site! I think the subject is very well documented. It might not be the most entertaining read (such as nesplayer reviews) but it covers almost everything you would want to know about the contra series.

Its really cool to know that all you hardcore gamers do things like this to preserve this information. Wish i had the time and dedication to do this. I'm just too interested in everything instead of just one thing

and it makes me feel like i know a celebrity
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie_says_relax
    With all the recent "Imagine" series (which are pretty much VERY sexist representations of what "young girls" should "enjoy" doing - Imagine Cooking, Imagine Fashion, Imagine Babiez) I was thinking that they should just combine them all into one title. It would be much more fun ...
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...kingBabies.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    Soldiers of Fortune/Chaos Engine

That was an awesome game. Had a sequel in Europe I think, but I don't recall the name of it or what system.
    The DP listing is a bit skimpy as home computer versions aren't counted. Think I've got a copy of this somewhere. Good game!

Also, here's another series: CT Special Forces.

I just read over @ Shmups.com's forums that Manfred Tenz worked on the PSX edition (but it looks the same as the GBA version - which is to say pretty basic, mediocre variety by PSX standards). Games in the series:

GBA
    CT Special Forces: Flawed, slow, but a wholly different gameplay experience from Contra. I don't like it much, and if anybody read my overly long and boring review, you'd see why!
    The two sequels (2 is Back to Hell and 3 is Bioterror) got much better, with actual running and gunning at the same time, roll moves, better level designs, all sorts of stuff.

There is a PlayStation version, and somehow I managed to find a few copies on eBay, very cheap - but now I can't find them again. Did put one on my watch list so I'll go from there again. The PSX versions came out in Europe only; there's one known as Elite Squad (not sure if this is Bioterror, which also got released with that name for the PSX in Europe, or Back to Hell).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ed, I got a question. Can Soldiers of Fortune really be classified as a true run n gun? I seem to recall it was an overhead shooter a la Smash TV?

Here's a good obscure-ish run n gun:

TIME SLIP

I actually played it for the 1st time last night. It's pretty good! I had lots of fun with it, and 30 minutes blew by like nothing. I played it at 2:50 in the morning I only meant to play 10 minutes or so but I kind of got into it. The bosses are really cool, and big too. Plus when zapped, they flash -- classic stuff.

Pulled from DP database itself. Game is worth a look! I'm stuck on the HUGE knight boss... but managed to get by the giant fire breathing dragon monster last night....

Plus, any protagonist named VINCENT GILGAMESH is pretty dope,

DP gives this game an R4. Well worth the $5 or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just thought of two more examples for the run 'n gun genre while playing some of my Genesis games today Ed.

Atomic Robo-Kid by Treco (Arc,Gen,PCEngine): You can fly in this game like in Forgotten Worlds, but there is no auto-scrolling. You can back track and enemies will respawn. Running is possible when you're on the ground, but you won't be doing much of that.

Joe & Mac by Data East (Arc, Genesis, NES): Forget the SNES version or its sequel, they play nothign like the arcade game and its other ports. They were altered to play like a regular platformer. Joe & Mac (Arc), the well done arcade port (Gen), and the radically different, but still heavily focused on the shooting aspect (NES) versions play like Run 'n Guns. Not a lot of platforming involved, and the levels are pretty short. It's more like a boss fest Run 'n gun ala Alien Soldier & Contra: Hard Corps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Ed, I got a question. Can Soldiers of Fortune really be classified as a true run n gun? I seem to recall it was an overhead shooter a la Smash TV?
    Whoa, I'm an expert now!

Well, you're definitely running (or walking?) and gunning.

You're right though, it's like Smash TV.

I include it because this gameplay type is found in Super Contra/Operation C.

Here's a good obscure-ish run n gun:

TIME SLIP
    A Vic Tokai game I didn't know about?! Heavens! I'll check it out ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz
    I just thought of two more examples for the run 'n gun genre while playing some of my Genesis games today Ed.

Atomic Robo-Kid by Treco (Arc,Gen,PCEngine): You can fly in this game like in Forgotten Worlds, but there is no auto-scrolling. You can back track and enemies will respawn. Running is possible when you're on the ground, but you won't be doing much of that.
    I've got the x68000 version of this! This is actually a UPL game, and like Mutant Night it pushes the boundaries: where MN is more platformer (things do get quite complicated later on, though I haven't gotten through the stage where you first get infinite jumps - and that's pretty early on, heh), ARK seems to have more in common with a shooter...or with Forgotten Worlds, sans the rotating heroes.

Joe & Mac by Data East (Arc, Genesis, NES): Forget the SNES version or its sequel, they play nothign like the arcade game and its other ports. They were altered to play like a regular platformer. Joe & Mac (Arc), the well done arcade port (Gen), and the radically different, but still heavily focused on the shooting aspect (NES) versions play like Run 'n Guns. Not a lot of platforming involved, and the levels are pretty short. It's more like a boss fest Run 'n gun ala Alien Soldier & Contra: Hard Corps.[/quote]
    Hmm. I've seen the name plenty of times, but don't recall if I played it. Will check that out as well!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just make sure you're playing the Genesis version of Joe & Mac!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    \It's not developed by Vic Tokai though so don't expect it to be similar to their other games. It's by The Sales Curve. It's pretty good too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    \It's not developed by Vic Tokai though so don't expect it to be similar to their other games. It's by The Sales Curve. It's pretty good too.
    yup, and pretty dang hardcore hard too! No continues... 7 lives or so... so far I can't get past level 2's boss (the flying fire breathing dinosaur)