Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best and worst game packaging?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to say that CD Jewel cases are my favorite simply because of their space-saving nature, although I admit they aren't much to look at on a shelf.

Least favorite? As has been said, the giant Sega CD/Sat cases are just too fragile and clunky to be real.
    Cardboard boxes (Atari, NES) also tend to wear out.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best are the Master System/Genesis cases
    Worst are the Sega CD/Saturn cases

Cardboard boxes don't even count. I don't care how well designed it is, it's still a cardboard box, not a game case.

So congrats to everyone who even bothers trying to save cardboard boxes. Big congrats to everyone who manages to save a completely pristine perfect collection of cardboard boxes. I've been collecting games for years, and even in the days before ebay, it was impossible to not encounter a crushed box at some point. Now it's even more difficult, as that pristine perfect box in the picture could still arrive crushed to hell by the time you finally get it in the mail.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best - those are beauties

Neo-Geo AES snaplock cases
    FM-Towns Marty - those are plastic games with certain games having a slot for floppy disc
    PC-FX - plastic cases for early releases
    MegaDrive - unlike Genny, Jp releases have dif colors and all games come with plastic cases

Worst -

GB/GBA/GBC/VB

Genesis paper box releases/32X

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Best: 3DO - if you're gonna take up shelf space, do it in style. Not too bad actually, and they also had the option of just going with jewel cases - cool.

Japanese Saturn. Be it compact RAM cart packages or supersized boxes like the Cyberbots L.E. package, they're all stylish and awesome.

Neo Geo. Again, very stylish, but the manuals tended to suck, and the way they were put in was lousy.

Worst: Sega CD, (early?) US Saturn, anything with those awful brittle longboxes.

US SNES: Often. Games with poor "replaced for the US" cover art (I guess the mother companies wanted to show sensitivity and blend into the home market better x_x ) on boxes that crushed FAR too easily. Plus those tabs make it hard to open boxes without damaging the printing. Bad, totally downgraded from the Japanese version - well, except for Contra III and Super Castlevania IV, which got BETTER as they went overseas. Zounds!

Here's a toss-up: Premium (or whatever) Konami boxes for the x68000. These consist of a large, heavy black plastic of some brittle kind with a clear window or door that opens upwards (like the door of a DeLorean), and a brightly printed cardboard slipcover fits over it all. What's bad with it? Well, that slipcover tends to get nasty around the edges, and constant removal of the cover will mess up the clear plastic window. I also bet the plastic is pretty brittle and will crack in a nasty fashion, though it's all solid enough that this would really take some force to accomplish.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All the systems i collect for have cardboard boxes except genesis out of the cardboard pack games i say intellivision boxes seem to be the hardest to find in good condition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcaster
    Best:
    JAP Saturn
    JAP PlayStation, later USA and PAL stuff
    PAL Sega Mega CD
    JAP and USA Dreamcast

Know why? Because they're in easily replaceable STANDARD FRICKING CD CASES. NOT SOME CRAZY ASS MOULDED SHIT THAT BREAKS IF YOU TOUCH IT.
    I have about a dozen Japanese PSX/Saturn games and one DC title, and maybe half of them use nonstandard packaging.

Virtual On: AT for DC has a nonstandard case (the manual is too thick to fit in a normal CD case).
    Strider 2 also comes in an unusual case.
    Panzer Dragoon RPG comes in a two-disc case.
    Samurai Spirits III comes in a regular jewel case, but the RAM pack version needs a larger cardboard box.
    Cyberbots LE has a huge box and book. The game comes in the regular jewel case pack.
    There's some others, as well, that I can't think of at the moment...

I'm sure it's atypical to have so many games in nonstandard cases, but there you go. A fair number of the boxes can be done without or just replaced, though (I'm pretty sure Strider 2's manual would fit in a regular jewel case).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

One thing I had to admit I like Nintendo did was to include those little plastic sleeves in every NES game. Even though you knew the boxes would end up in the garbage heap, you could always count on those little plastic sleeves. I've hardly ever seen a loose NES game without one.

And those things were like coat hangers.... You threw two of them in a drawer, you ended up with 20 of them for some reason. Even if you only had 2 games.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anything Cardboard is tied for the worst ever. My favorite looking is probably the Saturn. I actually like the size and shape, sure they were very very brittle but for the look I liked them. Thge current generation is very good, but not as interesting since it is strictly a copy of a DVD case. My personal favorite would have to be the Genesis. They are strong and flexible, they resist fading fairly well and they are of a good size. I think it's really a testement to how good the packaging you find a loose genny cart as often as you find a complete SNES in the wild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the Saturn/PS1/Sega CD long boxes. I also like the casing for the Genesis/Master System games.

I think anything cardboard (NES/SNES/N64/Game Boy) is the worst because it ends up looking cruddy over time. I've seen more cased Genesis games than I've ever seen cased SNES games.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The N-Gage cases are awsome, I can fit my whole collection on one shelf.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the megadrive games that were created by accolade, re hardball ,hardball 3 and summer challenge, that was the worst box because you had to open it up, why didn't they use the more conventional one? p.s hardball 3 is very good

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the megadrive games that were created by accolade, re hardball ,hardball 3 and summer challenge, that was the worst box because you had to open it up, why didn't they use the more conventional one? p.s hardball 3 is very good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I pretty much like any common type of case like the jewel case or the dvd style case. Genesis/SMS clam shells are nice too as well as PSP/DS cases.

Worst cases for me are mainly import cases such as those fat jewel cases that Batsugun comes in, European Dreamcast cases, and those fat Playstation cases that Thunder Force V or Zanac X comes in. You open up the case and manuals, spine cards and registraton cards come a falling out. Plus they are pretty delicate. These mentioned cases are very difficult to replace for me. At least with Saturn I can buy 10 John Madden Football 97 for a buck each and just use the cases and be ok if a long box should be damaged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I pretty much like any common type of case like the jewel case or the dvd style case. Genesis/SMS clam shells are nice too as well as PSP/DS cases.

Worst cases for me are mainly import cases such as those fat jewel cases that Batsugun comes in, European Dreamcast cases, and those fat Playstation cases that Thunder Force V or Zanac X comes in. You open up the case and manuals, spine cards and registraton cards come a falling out. Plus they are pretty delicate. These mentioned cases are very difficult to replace for me. At least with Saturn I can buy 10 John Madden Football 97 for a buck each and just use the cases and be ok if a long box should be damaged.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Best: nes quite colourfull with alot of variety to the boxart
    worst: texas insturments the boxes are terrible, large boring white boxes with a large window in front..blech.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Best: nes quite colourfull with alot of variety to the boxart
    worst: texas insturments the boxes are terrible, large boring white boxes with a large window in front..blech.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like DS cases. They hold the games tightly, but not so that they're hard to get out. I also like DVD cases.

I don't like cardboard boxes because they're so fragile, and make it hard to find complete games. I'm not keen on PS1/Mega CD cases because they're made of a brittle plastic and can crack easily. At least those cases are unique. Modern DVD cases are more flexible but it's a bit boring how the four main consoles all use them.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like DS cases. They hold the games tightly, but not so that they're hard to get out. I also like DVD cases.

I don't like cardboard boxes because they're so fragile, and make it hard to find complete games. I'm not keen on PS1/Mega CD cases because they're made of a brittle plastic and can crack easily. At least those cases are unique. Modern DVD cases are more flexible but it's a bit boring how the four main consoles all use them.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best: Genesis Plastic cases, regular CD Jewel cases, DVD cases.

Worse: Anything cardboard, those longboxes from the Sega CD/Saturn.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best: Genesis Plastic cases, regular CD Jewel cases, DVD cases.

Worse: Anything cardboard, those longboxes from the Sega CD/Saturn.